Novice here!

• HTML tutorial

Contributor I

Member #

Hello overlanders! New here,
I'm currently on my first build and need some pointers, opinions, and advice. I have a 2005 Chevrolet Suburban Z71 5.3L. there's not a huge market out there for it.

My questions:

Where and what do you recommend for roof racks? I'm looking for a one piece roof rack, very strong, but very light and permanent. (Windshield to back glass strong enough to hold jerry cans, tent, and possibly a spare tire).

Where did Expedition Overland go to get their Drawer system built for their 4runners?

How do I prepare my motor, suspension, front and read differential, and drive shaft for the terrain that it's looking forward to?

Thank you, Justin

Attachments

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Hello overlanders! New here,
I'm currently on my first build and need some pointers, opinions, and advice. I have a 2005 Chevrolet Suburban Z71 5.3L. there's not a huge market out there for it.

My questions:

Where and what do you recommend for roof racks? I'm looking for a one piece roof rack, very strong, but very light and permanent. (Windshield to back glass strong enough to hold jerry cans, tent, and possibly a spare tire).

Where did Expedition Overland go to get their Drawer system built for their 4runners?

How do I prepare my motor, suspension, front and read differential, and drive shaft for the terrain that it's looking forward to?

Thank you, Justin
Hi there! Welcome to the crew! Keep in mind you can do a lot of overlanding with your rig AS IS! Everything else depends on what you will be doing with it. I run a Gobi Roof Rack and think it does a mighty fine job, however, they do not make one for a Suburban, YET! Motor: It should be fine, just don't oversize your tires or suspension putting undue stress on the motor. That V8 can handle a lot. In terms of suspension, you can probably due with a 2.5" 3" lift depending on whether you see yourself rock-crawling or not. I'd look into:
  1. Lift
  2. Tires
  3. Sliders
  4. Front and rear bumper armor
In that order (my taste) but of course the list is limitless.

Have fun!

M

Contributor I

Member #

Thank you! my biggest issue is the roof rack mainly and a rear bumper. I recently just called a Chevrolet dealership and asked if 05 Silverado bumpers would fit the burban since they look identical just one has a hatch. they said that they will line up flush just have to do minor welding fabrication to the bumper brackets since that's the only thing that's different.

I'm trying to find a spare tire mount for a rear bumper too.

The roof rack and drawers are the hardest to come by.

Gunnermoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Mesa, Arizona
Member #

My recommendation before you go throing money at your truck, understand what you want to do with your truck. What you plan to do in the wilds, will really determine what you need to do to your truck.

Things to think about -

- How many people will be in the rig on most occassions; how long will you be out; what comforts you can not live without? This will determine how much gear and how much food/water you will need to carry; id the space requirements.
- What type of terrain will you mainly drive over/through? This will determine what upgrades you need for suspension.
- Things to get upfront: shovel, basic quality recovery strap (know where your recovery points are located on your vehicle), fire extinguisher, a first aid kit (training to use the first aid kit), a good jack that lifts a tire off of the ground (does not have to be a hi-lift; if it is get trained to use correctly).
- Read through the Overlanding Bootcamp threads. There is a lot of good information to help spur thoughts and ideas.

I only pose these questions/statements, as I can atest and most people on this site can also, try not to spend money on things until you are sure they fir what you are trying to accomplish. You do not want to pay more than once for an item. On that note, also pay for quality upfront. It will save you $$ in the long run!

The most important thing, GET OUT AND SEE THE OUTDOORS! HAVE FUN! Do not think you need to build the ultimate truck just to get outside.

Reactions: TexLonestarJustin

Contributor I

Member #

I plan on taking my first trail trip in Texas if there is any, then in Arizona, California, and Colorado. It will be me and my wife. But I use this truck as my daily driver nation wide. I work in the refineries doing turnarounds so it's basically my home as well just tired of sleeping on top of a tool box when I travel at times, I prefer not spending $300 a week for a hotel. my biggest goal is to expedition from one side of the United States to the other on each ends just so I can say I did it but mostly to experience the beauty of nature along the way and see if I can use mainly trails the whole time.

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

Welcome! The first thing I tell anyone who is looking into getting into overlanding is this... Fuel up the rig, and get out there. The more you get out there, the more you will learn what you need or want to make your vehicle more capable for the types of adventures you like to go on. Fuel up and go my friend!

Contributor I

Member #

Welcome! The first thing I tell anyone who is looking into getting into overlanding is this... Fuel up the rig, and get out there. The more you get out there, the more you will learn what you need or want to make your vehicle more capable for the types of adventures you like to go on. Fuel up and go my friend!
I know nothing really is there a group that let's novices come along I can get in touch with in Texas?

If so where do I find out who to contact and is there a "boot camp" or a "training corse I can take?"

Contributor I

Member #

Hi there! Welcome to the crew! Keep in mind you can do a lot of overlanding with your rig AS IS! Everything else depends on what you will be doing with it. I run a Gobi Roof Rack and think it does a mighty fine job, however, they do not make one for a Suburban, YET! Motor: It should be fine, just don't oversize your tires or suspension putting undue stress on the motor. That V8 can handle a lot. In terms of suspension, you can probably due with a 2.5" 3" lift depending on whether you see yourself rock-crawling or not. I'd look into:
  1. Lift
  2. Tires
  3. Sliders
  4. Front and rear bumper armor
In that order (my taste) but of course the list is limitless.

Have fun!

M
What are sliders?

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

Sliders are also called rock rails or rocker panel protection. They protect the are below your doors in the event of contact with a hard object.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
What are sliders?
Here is an example:

d_282.jpg

The important part is that they support the full weight of the vehicle. You can literally use them to "slide" down rocks and they protect your rocker panels. I use mine all the time. Not steps, sliders.

Not this:
129_0912_29_z+ford_f150_parts_guide+nfab_nerf_steps.jpg

or this:

download.jpg

These examples will simply crush and be destroyed.

Here is a good google search:

Rock Sliders

Reactions: TexLonestarJustin

Gunnermoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Mesa, Arizona
Member #

.. who to contact and is there a "boot camp" or a "training corse I can take?"
I recommend you start here https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/forums/overland-bound-boot-camp.54/

Lots of good ideas, comments and introductions to concepts. Really, anyone on this site can answer your questions to help get you out and seeing things. Like I said in my first reply, do not rush out and spend money until you really know what you need and that it will suit your goals. The link above has many articles and discussion on the pros and cons of practicaly every peice of gear out there. Trust me when I say, just because its expensive does not mean its right for you. It is definitly a balancing act.

Another option, if you are in the Arizona (Flagstaf) area around the weekend of 12-14 May 2017, there is a large contingent of Overlanders that gather for Overland Expo. There are multiple training sessions and equipment vendors present. Training provided covers everything from basic navigation to full vehicle recovery skills and everything in between. Full disclosure, it does cost a pretty penny ($325) if you go with the big package (Overland Experience) that includes all of the trainingc ourses. http://www.overlandexpo.com/experience-west In addition to meeting alot of people!

Last edited:

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

Great advice!
I can't take credit for it.. I think I originally heard it from @BlkWgn on here.. And he was right. Its hard to resist the urge to "keep up with the jones' " but just getting out there and exploring helped me realize where my priorities lay with modifications to the truck.

Contributor I

Cincinnati, OH, USA
First Name
Scot
Last Name
Leach
Member #

I would recommend a hilift and a snatch rope as your first upgrades. I had a z71 sierra that would run some of my hardest trails on at tires and stock suspension. They are very capable rigs. The hilift and snatch rope are only for if you were to get stuck. Otherwise you have a everything you need to go explore and get "lost". I would recommend expedition portals write up on overlanding a full size SUV. Has a lot of great info. But just remember... the reason we do this is just to experience the world from our drivers seat. All the extra stuff is just to make it more comfortable or capable