Not your typical Overland Vehicle (pics)

• HTML tutorial

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Mine is in it’s second life. If you look close at the front fender, you can see it’s first.

Attachments

Fletcher8969

Rank VI

Advocate III

Newbury Park, Thousand Oaks, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Fletcher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6LHU
Here's my not so typical rig. 1996 AM General Hummer with a CVT tent mounted atop a government surplus M1101 HMMWV trailer.

View attachment 36283
I've been looking for some H1 overlanding buddies! Unfortunately, I just moved from Washington to SoCal. I just rebuilt my dad's H1 that he drove all over North and South America. I'm just starting to outfit it with overlanding gear (rooftop tent, etc.) . Maybe I'll find myself by in Washington one of these days.
IMG_20190927_165153.jpg

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Working on my Jeep and keeping it rock crawl ready with a hint of comfort with a new suspension and storage solutions in the works.
1580416206083.png

Reactions: Fletcher8969

Matt Hixson

Rank V

Member I

Big Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hixson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FZJ
I've been looking for some H1 overlanding buddies! Unfortunately, I just moved from Washington to SoCal. I just rebuilt my dad's H1 that he drove all over North and South America. I'm just starting to outfit it with overlanding gear (rooftop tent, etc.) . Maybe I'll find myself by in Washington one of these days.
View attachment 137837
I'd love to see photos of this truck adventuring through South America.

Fletcher8969

Rank VI

Advocate III

Newbury Park, Thousand Oaks, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Fletcher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6LHU
I'd love to see photos of this truck adventuring through South America.
I wish I had more shots from his amazing trip. I only have a few print outs that I've scanned. These are all taken in Brazil I think except for the one in the snow which was somewhere in Patagonia. He drove it to Prudhoe Bay (from Los Angeles) then turned around and drove to Terra Del Fuego. He spent about 18 months driving all over North and South America. He slept inside the truck when he was in remote places. You can see the extra fuel tanks he had on top of it back then. Each of those was 15 gallons according to my brother who drove some of the trip in South America. With those and the two internal tanks he could carry ~115 gallons of fuel so it gave him ~1100 miles of range. Lots of weight on top of that thing.

Sadly, he's declining into Alzheimer's and I haven't been able to find more of the photos.

IMG_4170.jpgIMG_4176.jpgIMG_4175.jpgIMG_4171.jpgIMG_4174.jpg

19mystic96

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Pacifica, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
M
View attachment 137837
I sure do love me some H1 Hummers.

NJ5

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Colorado
First Name
NJ
Last Name
Jordan
I'm glad your Dad was able to complete his dream trip!! A trip like that is something I look forward to in retirement - or win the lottery...!