• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast III

Whitby, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Byrne
Member #

Ok, let's get it out in the open, YES its a minivan, YES its 2wd, & YES people think this is crazy, but yet here it is. For years others have built 2wd full-size vans for overlanding, some even converting to 4wd (Sportsmobile, etc.,) and building some of the most capable rigs on the planet out of them, but that's not this build. I'm not looking for a rig that can take on rivers over 3 feet deep or rocky mountain passes, I'm building out something that can take me down dirt roads, forrest access trails and logging roads and of course down the highway. This platform allows me to build out sleeping quarters inside, keep the fuel mileage respectable (I know many of you may have issues with that) and most importantly, allows me to just get out there and explore my surroundings.
Now, on to the build:
Currently running BFG K02's LT225/65/R17 on OEM Rims
Princess Auto roof basket with extension (& soon to be 22" light bar attached)
K&N OEM replacement filter (cuz we all know they add like 50hp :sunglasses[emoji4]
I have a 1" lift in my garage awaiting installation.
Will be adding a Magnaflow exhaust and custom oil/tranny pan skid plate in the next few months
The living quarters is temporary as its also a daily driver but consists of a double air mattress on the floor for a bed, bug screen to cover the hatch for ventilation and the usual camping equipment (Coleman Stove & Lantern) fold up table & chair cooler & I also have propane hot water on demand. I will post photos of the living arrangements soon.

View attachment 64513View attachment 64514View attachment 64515View attachment 64516

Attachments

Last edited:

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
This just goes to show that you don’t need a fancy 4Runner or huge droopy suspension on a Jeep to go overlanding. If a minivan gets you out and enjoying nature. That’s all that matters. It’s all about getting out and enjoying nature. A nice comfy rig you can enjoy, drive for hours and hours on end without having to refuel. If a minivan suits your needs and the stuff you wanna do, that’s all that matters. Keep it up! I’m excited to see where this build goes

NC-Trooper

US SouthEast Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

I am a skeptic but I am open to having my mind changed :yum:

Definitely watching this build!

Enthusiast III

Whitby, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Byrne
Member #

I need to know more about this 1" lift...
The lift is very simple, a set of 4 coil spacers installed within the front and rear springs. There sitting in the garage right now collecting dust. I'm at a crossroads with them at the moment; right now with the new light bar installed, I clear my garage door by 1/4", with the lift I won't be able to drive in there to work on it. Will see how things go with the first few outings and decide from there.

Attachments

Reactions: Andy G

Enthusiast III

Whitby, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Byrne
Member #

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 64Trvlr and Homeguy

Pathfinder I

Bellingham
Heck ya! I’m in the same boat. Building an outlander sport into an overlanding vehicle. It’d be cool if you put the light bar into the wind deflector, then you’d have the room to clear the garage [emoji106] keep it up mate!

Andy G

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cannonsburg, MI
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Grow
Member #

The lift is very simple, a set of 4 coil spacers installed within the front and rear springs. There sitting in the garage right now collecting dust. I'm at a crossroads with them at the moment; right now with the new light bar installed, I clear my garage door by 1/4", with the lift I won't be able to drive in there to work on it. Will see how things go with the first few outings and decide from there.
Where'd you source them from? I'm guessing they're "standard" spacers for some other setup that will just happen to fit the Caravan?

Enthusiast III

Whitby, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Byrne
Member #

Heck ya! I’m in the same boat. Building an outlander sport into an overlanding vehicle. It’d be cool if you put the light bar into the wind deflector, then you’d have the room to clear the garage [emoji106] keep it up mate!
I was going to make a lexan fairing and put the light behind that but was worried about how the light would refract through it. Originally I had a light bar in place of the fairing but the wind noise was unbearable.

Enthusiast III

Whitby, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Byrne
Member #

View attachment 65010View attachment 65011
Almost all packed for some camping and fishing. You will understand this mess once I get to base camp tomorrow. Will post trip photos once I get back.
So the trip was cancelled a day early with extreme bad weather, rain, so much rain. I didn't get a shot but there was almost 100 gallons of water in the boat the first morning. It rained 10 minutes after we went to bed and didn't let up till 6am, then 7:40 all hell broke loose again so we called it quits. It wasn't a complete washout, my eldest caught a frog when we got there and that helped him land a 4 lb smallmouth bass later that day. Will post a vid of the logging road once I figure out how to stitch my dash cam clips together.

Attachments