• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast III

Whitby, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Byrne
Member #

So... it's been a little while since I last posted about the build. Winter sucks btw, haven't done anything to the van except constantly washing the salt off of it. I've had to go back to the drawing board regarding the lift for the van as my 1st attempt only gained me 1/4" lift in the front. I have discovered a company called Universal Car Lifts and they will manufacture spring cups for the rear and spacers for the front. I have to do some measuring to provide them but it looks like this will be the route.

Reactions: Overland_Mitsu

Pathfinder I

Bellingham
Nice! I messaged them before about a lift for my Mitsubishi. They gave me great info about they’re products. They pretty much can order and modify your existing struts or do some crazy stuff to new ones.

Armchair Outdoorsman

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Ontario Canada
First Name
Iain
Last Name
Richardson
Member #

When I was considering lifting my 2014 grand caravan, and I always pictured looking into the lifts that they used to accommodate wheelchair van conversions.

Enthusiast III

Whitby, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Byrne
Member #

Finally found a lift for the van! $399 USD and it gives me 3” of lift!! Basically it’s a set of modified front struts and spring spacers for the rear. From what I’ve seen the only issue is that you have to disconnect your front sway bar and delete it. Now to ponder about that...I do a crap load of highway and also tow a trailer frequently that can sometimes be over 3500lbs. My centre of gravity and steering responsiveness will be reduced. Guess that happens with many lifted rigs though...

Pathfinder I

Bellingham
Finally found a lift for the van! $399 USD and it gives me 3” of lift!! Basically it’s a set of modified front struts and spring spacers for the rear. From what I’ve seen the only issue is that you have to disconnect your front sway bar and delete it. Now to ponder about that...I do a crap load of highway and also tow a trailer frequently that can sometimes be over 3500lbs. My centre of gravity and steering responsiveness will be reduced. Guess that happens with many lifted rigs though...
I’ve done some research in the past regarding sway. We deletes. A lot of people say to pull them off that they never noticed a difference. But on the other hand a bunch of people state how unstable and effected their ride was. I suppose it’s more for quick maneuvers and fast needed turns. That’d be bad ass though! It doesn’t effect your CV angles too badly then?

Enthusiast III

Whitby, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Byrne
Member #

I’ve done some research in the past regarding sway. We deletes. A lot of people say to pull them off that they never noticed a difference. But on the other hand a bunch of people state how unstable and effected their ride was. I suppose it’s more for quick maneuvers and fast needed turns. That’d be bad ass though! It doesn’t effect your CV angles too badly then?
The kit unfortunately is “universal” as they advertise. It’s made to put huge rims on fwd cars. No one locally has the kit so I’m in the dark as to it’s full effect. Being this is my DD, I am a bit apprehensive making this rig a test rat.

Gabriel Bozeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Oak Harbor, WA, USA
First Name
Gabriel
Last Name
Bozeman
Member #

Ok, let's get it out in the open, YES its a minivan, YES its 2wd, & YES people think this is crazy, but yet here it is. For years others have built 2wd full-size vans for overlanding, some even converting to 4wd (Sportsmobile, etc.,) and building some of the most capable rigs on the planet out of them, but that's not this build. I'm not looking for a rig that can take on rivers over 3 feet deep or rocky mountain passes, I'm building out something that can take me down dirt roads, forrest access trails and logging roads and of course down the highway. This platform allows me to build out sleeping quarters inside, keep the fuel mileage respectable (I know many of you may have issues with that) and most importantly, allows me to just get out there and explore my surroundings.
Now, on to the build:
Currently running BFG K02's LT225/65/R17 on OEM Rims
Princess Auto roof basket with extension (& soon to be 22" light bar attached)
K&N OEM replacement filter (cuz we all know they add like 50hp :sunglasses[emoji4]
I have a 1" lift in my garage awaiting installation.
Will be adding a Magnaflow exhaust and custom oil/tranny pan skid plate in the next few months
The living quarters is temporary as its also a daily driver but consists of a double air mattress on the floor for a bed, bug screen to cover the hatch for ventilation and the usual camping equipment (Coleman Stove & Lantern) fold up table & chair cooler & I also have propane hot water on demand. I will post photos of the living arrangements soon.

View attachment 64513View attachment 64514View attachment 64515View attachment 64516
Just saw this thread this morning. Great idea! My family of 8 'overlanded' in a Caravan and then a Sienna. Got to make do with what ya got!

HEYElliott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Markham, Ontario, Canada
Member #

So this happened today, as I’m out giving the van a shakedown ride on some soft sand trails I run into a barrage of cops blocking the road. Apparently some dude tried to run away from them and spun out his car making a turn onto the trail. Had to sit for 15 mins as they recovered the car with a tow.
Anyway, the K02's performed just as they should in the soft sand and over rocks.
View attachment 65005View attachment 65006View attachment 65007View attachment 65008View attachment 65009

Looked at these pictures for a few minutes before I realised it was boundary rd! You must not be too far away!

IMO I wouldnt got into the 3" lift you mention later on in your thread. I think it will negatively affect the majority of your driving and only benefit 1% or so of it.

Could you give me some info on the old nipissing rd? What was the road like for the portion that you travelled? I wouldnt mind giving it a shot and seeing about camping along the way.
Im liking your build so far; around our area there isnt much reason to have too much more than some good tires and a tank of gas.

Enthusiast III

Whitby, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Byrne
Member #

Looked at these pictures for a few minutes before I realised it was boundary rd! You must not be too far away!

IMO I wouldnt got into the 3" lift you mention later on in your thread. I think it will negatively affect the majority of your driving and only benefit 1% or so of it.

Could you give me some info on the old nipissing rd? What was the road like for the portion that you travelled? I wouldnt mind giving it a shot and seeing about camping along the way.
Im liking your build so far; around our area there isnt much reason to have too much more than some good tires and a tank of gas.
So you’re a local eh? Yes I agree with you about the lift and have so far not needed one. Most travels are dirt road anyway. So I stumbled on the Nippising Road one day and started at the town of Magnetawan and headed south. There is a trail map there by the town dam. From what I did, it’s just an hour or two drive but there are definitely 4x4 trails that’ll keep you busy for a few more hours.

Reactions: HEYElliott

HEYElliott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Markham, Ontario, Canada
Member #

So you’re a local eh? Yes I agree with you about the lift and have so far not needed one. Most travels are dirt road anyway. So I stumbled on the Nippising Road one day and started at the town of Magnetawan and headed south. There is a trail map there by the town dam. From what I did, it’s just an hour or two drive but there are definitely 4x4 trails that’ll keep you busy for a few more hours.
Yeah im in Markham. Im hoping to organize another trail clean up soonish (last spring we did swift rapids rd in coldwater and camped the night), and it was a blast. Ill make sure to let you know if we decide on something to see if you can make it out

Artpalmer

Rank 0

Contributor I

Ohio, USA
First Name
Art
Last Name
Palmer
Just want to say that I signed up for this website just so I could see your pics. What an awesome project! Love that you are doing it with your family. Love that it is about actually doing rather than a look or having some largely theoretical capability.

OtherOrb

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ
First Name
Moses
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7QIF
I love this build.

We overlanded for several years in a Sienna when the Spawn was about 18 months. Recently bought a new-to-us Sienna and I'm planning some similar build. I have my Taco for the tough stuff, but the van is definitely more comfortable in almost every aspect, so once we get it where I want it (improved suspension, a small lift, and a bit more), most local forest service roads will be easily manageable in the Sienna.