Not one... BUT TWO trucks! '12 JKU and '03 GMC Sierra...

• HTML tutorial

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
also... we got these for the truck. so lots of welding practice is going to happen before these go on. still gotta get the lowers figured out for this thing. Apparently finding off-road coilovers for a 1" wide bearing spacing is harder than I thought...

IMG_20200620_094935.jpg

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
also I found some schematics for the factory dual battery setup in the GMT800 trucks, so I'm going to start collecting parts for that here soon.

just sticking this schematic up here so I don't loose it...sierraauxbatt.gif

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
Also had to do the clutch in my Jeep this last weekend. The disk was misaligned a tiiiiiiinnnyyyyyyy bit so the input shaft wobbled a bunch and caused a bit of a leak along the shaft. Post clutch install it drives a ton better isn't leaking. wooohooo!

IMG_20200628_085640_338.jpg

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
also I found some schematics for the factory dual battery setup in the GMT800 trucks, so I'm going to start collecting parts for that here soon.

just sticking this schematic up here so I don't loose it...View attachment 160736
My gmt900 Tahoe has factory dual batteries. There is no isolation on the particular option mine has. The hardware is very straightforward.

Reactions: rho and RoarinRow

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
My gmt900 Tahoe has factory dual batteries. There is no isolation on the particular option mine has. The hardware is very straightforward.
Yours had the cop package right? I wonder if it's a different layout than the TP2 package...

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Yours had the cop package right? I wonder if it's a different layout than the TP2 package...
Yes on the configuration. The option code is 6A6. I don’t recall the other option. I do know where the isolator would be mounted, and it’s not there. Before I leaned that, I confirmed they were truly in parallel by disconnecting each in turn and starting it.

Reactions: rho

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
Yes on the configuration. The option code is 6A6. I don’t recall the other option. I do know where the isolator would be mounted, and it’s not there. Before I leaned that, I confirmed they were truly in parallel by disconnecting each in turn and starting it.
Huh, thats pretty interesting. I can totally understand why they do it in that configuration though given the extra power drain from all the crap they stuff in those cars. Is your truck still on the OEM partially lowered suspension?

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Huh, thats pretty interesting. I can totally understand why they do it in that configuration though given the extra power drain from all the crap they stuff in those cars. Is your truck still on the OEM partially lowered suspension?
Absolutely on the power feeds. The 175 amp goes to battery two, 125 goes into the cabin and splits into 3 50 amp branches, and the 60 also went into the cabin splitting about 8 ways with all kinds of switched branches. Both the 125 and 60 lines were cut on mine when it was decommissioned. I traced and comfortably rebuilt the 125 line. I currently feeds some ham gear but it mainly there for a future frig and other stuff. The 60 amp branch I’ve left alone because I’m not confident I’ve found all of it yet. I’ve repurposed the fuse to also feed most of my ham gear.

the suspension is totally lowered as originally delivered. I’m planning a set of extra wheels and AT tires Once I have spending money again.

Attachments

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
Thats pretty awesome. I've been meaning to do some power upgrades to both of our trucks but having all that built in is awesome.

Reactions: Sparksalot

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Thats pretty awesome. I've been meaning to do some power upgrades to both of our trucks but having all that built in is awesome.
I finally found the upfitter guide with the schematic for the police package auxillary power. I've traced and reconnected the high amperage stuff on the right. I have not found all the ends for the stuff in the center/left, so it's still disconnected.

PPV power circuits.jpg

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
I finally found the upfitter guide with the schematic for the police package auxillary power. I've traced and reconnected the high amperage stuff on the right. I have not found all the ends for the stuff in the center/left, so it's still disconnected.
Very cool! I'm building a list of parts for ours still... I suspect we'll be in the collecting parts phase for a while, but I have some of the harness stuff on the way, so I can get that going at least.

Also got the next round of suspension goodies and I heard back from bed at filthy motorsports about some shocks... some cool stuff will be in the works when I can dig some cash up....

Reactions: Sparksalot

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
Got some goodies for the truck... finding non uniball uppers for this truck was actually kind of hard, but I don't want to deal with the maintenance from uniballs.IMG_20200703_125709_720.jpg

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Got some goodies for the truck... finding non uniball uppers for this truck was actually kind of hard, but I don't want to deal with the maintenance from uniballs.View attachment 161709
What is the tab on tube in the bottom center? It doesn’t look robust enough for a sway bar link.

Overlandenthusiast

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Francisco, California, United States
First Name
Aparajit
Last Name
Bajpai
Member #

So, i'll prob spare you all the details of YET another JKU but just give you a run down of the build of it so far...
I bought it new in 2012, after our fam outgrew my XJ, I ended up picking up a new JKU with zero options, and lemme tell you, it was not an easy task to find one. A few months later I found one for 25k, and away we went! After a couple months and the silly truck bouncing off the front bumps on our ski-jump like freeways around the Bay Area, so I put a leveling kit on it to help with that. Soon after that I put some some 32 tires on it to replace the stock 29" tires and I basicly kept it like that till those tires wore out, then went up to some 33's and a 2" lift, sliders, stuck my old milemarker winch on a winch plate on the front bumper etc.... 2yrs after that gears, 35's. Broke some control arms so started replacing those, trackbar, etc etc etc. Its been a great truck so far with a 135k on it and i'm planning on keeping it pretty much until it dies. And its got like standard jeep stuff, lol

View attachment 107509

My wifes GMC sierra is going to be getting its own post a little further down and it'll prob make up a majority of the posts here as thats a bit more out there in terms of whats going on with it and some fairly major re-engineering of the front suspension to make it suck less... well, needless to say, it'll be interesting! My dad bought the truck new in '03 and it pretty much was his worktruck for a number of years until he picked up a '14 Xterra Pro-4x, so my parter picked it up as it was a good step up from her previous GMC Sonoma.

Its only a 2wd but it has the max tow package n stuff, so it has the V8, G80 in the rear, etc etc. Over the past few years we'd just been going through the truck and doing general maintenance and stuff until a bunch of crap started falling apart in the front suspension and it needed tires. Luckily I had the set of 33's at about half life from my jeep and a half-baked plan was born to do some minor suspension work on her truck, a small lift, some better lights, stick the 33's on, get some skids on it and see what we can do with the truck.

Just before we started tearing into the suspension. An idea of where it was when we started... This is when I was replacing the stereo, blown af speakers and generally getting the light bulbs on the interior to be not sucky... and started running wires to the backup cam.

View attachment 107512

Soon I'll have coilovers to replace this mess...

View attachment 107513

Pulling the old super worn out coils out... these had 190k on em and they were super dead.

View attachment 107511

View attachment 107510

And uh, here's a cat.
Cool trucks! Those 315s look awesome.
Building is always fun.

Cute cat :)

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
Cool trucks! Those 315s look awesome.
Building is always fun.

Cute cat :)
thanks! the cats are big dorks but they're always pretty chill luckily. We got hella lucky with them.

And yeah, building is always fun... a lot of this is kind of a long process of trying stuff, seeing what works, what doesn't and fixing what doesn't work... Speaking of which, I have to figure out a better place to stick the resi's on my jeep. I tagged one on a rock this past weekend and whacked the other one with a tire. The life of a modified rig is always fixing little stuff, hah.

IMG_20200707_180835.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: RoarinRow

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
Just dumping this table of part numbers here so I don't loose it... This is for the harness from the fusebox to the batt isolator and to the oem second batt. Once I get more of the parts I'll do a proper writeup for building the harness, installing the tray, isolator, etc.

Product Detail Customer # Order Qty. Price Ext.

Mouser #: 829-12160480-B 2 $0.25 $0.50
Mfr. #: 12160480-B
Desc.: Automotive Connectors Automotive Connectors TPA M/P 150 LK

Mouser #: 829-12160482-B 2 $2.02 $4.04
Mfr. #: 12160482-B
Desc.: Automotive Connectors Automotive Connectors CON MP 150 4W FEM ASY

Mouser #: 829-15324976 16 $0.10 $1.60
Mfr. #: 15324976
Desc.: Automotive Connectors Automotive Connectors INDV. LOOSE CBL SEAL WHITE

Mouser #: 829-12048074 6 $0.30 $1.80
Mfr. #: 12048074-L
Desc.: Automotive Connectors Automotive Connectors FMALE 150 SERIES TIN CBL RANG 2.80-2.03MM

Mouser #: 829-12059168 4 $0.16 $0.64
Mfr. #: 12059168
Desc.: Automotive Connectors Automotive Connectors CABLE CAVITY PLUG DARK RED

Mouser #: 829-12160826-B 2 $0.35 $0.70
Mfr. #: 12160826-B
Desc.: Automotive Connectors Automotive Connectors TPA M/P 150 LK

Mouser #: 829-12160825 2 $0.90 $1.80
Mfr. #: 12160825
Desc.: Automotive Connectors Automotive Connectors 4P MALE BLACK 150 SERIES 14 AMPS

Mouser #: 829-12045773 6 $0.29 $1.74
Mfr. #: 12045773-L
Desc.: Automotive Connectors Automotive Connectors MALE 150 SERIES TIN CBL RNG 2.78-1.69MM

Mouser #: 829-12052634 2 $0.54 $1.08
Mfr. #: 12052634
Desc.: Automotive Connectors Automotive Connectors SECONDARY LOCK BLUE

Mouser #: 829-12052641 2 $1.53 $3.06
Mfr. #: 12052641
Desc.: Automotive Connectors Automotive Connectors 2P FM BLK CON ASSY 150 SERIES 14 AMPS

Mouser #: 829-12160223 4 $0.69 $2.76
Mfr. #: 12160223-L
Desc.: Automotive Connectors Automotive Connectors FMALE 150 SERIES SIL CBL RANG 2.65-1.85MM

Mouser #: 829-12077979-B 2 $0.31 $0.62
Mfr. #: 12077979-B
Desc.: Automotive Connectors Automotive Connectors CPA LOCK M/P W/P

Mouser #: 829-15304711 4 $0.35 $1.40
Mfr. #: 15304711-L
Desc.: Automotive Connectors Automotive Connectors FMALE 280 SERIES TIN CBL RNG 2.25-1.70MM2

Reactions: Overlandenthusiast

Overlandenthusiast

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Aparajit
Last Name
Bajpai
Member #

thanks! the cats are big dorks but they're always pretty chill luckily. We got hella lucky with them.

And yeah, building is always fun... a lot of this is kind of a long process of trying stuff, seeing what works, what doesn't and fixing what doesn't work... Speaking of which, I have to figure out a better place to stick the resi's on my jeep. I tagged one on a rock this past weekend and whacked the other one with a tire. The life of a modified rig is always fixing little stuff, hah.

View attachment 161729
Oh no! I have seen some builds with reservoir away from the action. I assume the orientation doesn’t matter. Where are you planning to mount them?

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
Oh no! I have seen some builds with reservoir away from the action. I assume the orientation doesn’t matter. Where are you planning to mount them?
For the fronts... not 100% sure yet, I have hydro bumps up front so I can't stick em on top of the coil buckets like a lot of other JK solutions seem to. I might have to go to the frame or something, I don't really know yet, might have to do longer hoses as well.... -_-

Reactions: Overlandenthusiast

Overlandenthusiast

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Aparajit
Last Name
Bajpai
Member #

For the fronts... not 100% sure yet, I have hydro bumps up front so I can't stick em on top of the coil buckets like a lot of other JK solutions seem to. I might have to go to the frame or something, I don't really know yet, might have to do longer hoses as well.... -_-
Definitely yes, longer hose will be needed to move them away from immediate vicinity. I always thought that the best place is with the main body until I started seeing some extensive builds on YouTube.
I might pick your brain later wrt. suspension. Currently doing research for my upcoming build and suspension upgrade is the main part of it.