Not a Tacoma Or FJ build

• HTML tutorial

cowens88

Rank 0

Traveler I

Let me start by introducing myself. My name is Chris, recently new father, welder/fabricator/firefighter/EMT. I kept it short and sweet. I just purchased a 1990 Dodge W250 (gas) not diesel with the truck boxes already on it.
Now your wondering why I chose a gas hog for a overland build. It is a solid truck with all upgraded Dana 60 front and rear. And it has tool boxes fully loaded with all my tools in case I break down or fellow off-roaders get broken also. The top of my tool boxes are a perfect flat 48" across..which should make for an easy install of a pop-up roof tent.

After building numerous bumpers, SAS, sliders, roof racks for other customers, I decided to get my own project. Yes I work part time as a fabricator for Beaty Industries in Elk Grove who still does fantastic 4x4 work. Anyways I only paid $1500 for this truck and it runs awesome. Through the pictures you can see my progress.

My plans for this build include:
Beer Chest
Bottle opener
Beer Holder
1 ton steering
Shocks
Better base radio
Complete custom roof rack
Custom front bumper
Pop-up tent on top
Extra Jerry cans for Fuel and Water
2 Spare tires
Performance Edelbrock Intake upgrade
Shorty headers
4.10 gears
2.5 Fox shocks

It's not a very long list and I'm sure I'll add to it.

Now I'll start with the first time I laid eyes on her.

Impressive huh??

Now you can see the uglyness of this truck. But it's also about how it performs also. First thing I had to is get new wheels and tires. I went with plain Jane steel wheels and a 285/75/16 all terrain tire. The pervious wheels did not have the correct offset which made for some unruly rubbing on every turn.

And boom new wheels and tires plus I added a little skull star to the doors to give it some character.

So with new wheels came new challenges that I knew I might have to face but didn't think so soon. Because of the year of the truck, my front leafs had sagged really bad over the years. I still had a rubbing issue. So after some research I went with skyjacker leafs and a 1 ton tie rod upgrade from Ruffstuff. My tie rods were also completely shot.

Super sad tie rods. With the skyjacker leafs giving me a solid 4" higher now, 2.5" higher than stock but my springs were so wore out I couldn't tell how high the truck was gonna be.

You can see it's not to high, I didn't have to change much for steering, just the 1 ton tie rod upgrade which also requires you to taper the old knuckles which isn't to bad of a job. The whole tie rod replacement took about 2 hours.

Now that my suspension is handling ALOT better, my next move is shocks. Having had Fox and Bilstein mostly, I wanted to maybe change it up and go to Icons or Kings. This is where I leave the comments or questions to the topic, Thanks. God Bless America.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Last edited:

Edward Gentle

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Huntsville Al
Member #

I like what your doing with it.

I considered getting something like this but I was worried about the weight of the box. Have you had a chance to get it off road any and if so has the weight been an issue?

cowens88

Rank 0

Traveler I

Yes the boxes are heavy. Which does out kind of a strain on small V8 motor which I plan to add some performance help cope with that. I would like to add maybe air lifts in the rear to help with the sway. The boxes aren't totally full with tools either. When it snows here the extra weight should help me out also. I haven't taken the truck on anything serious for 4 wheeling yet. Mostly forestry roads when I first purchased it in May. It's taken me about a month to completely rebuild the front end minus new kingpin bearings.

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

That'll be a cool rig, not for everyone or every trail, but pretty darn cool. I just saw a fiberglass bed like that the other day and thought to myself that it'd be a pretty nice platform to camp out of. It'll be the 'Merican version of the Toyota utes they use overseas!

cowens88

Rank 0

Traveler I

Wasn't a very rough trail but still had to test out the 1 ton steering with Skyjacker leaf springs. Everything handle like I figured but new shocks are a must along with a steering stabilizer upgrade
Also ordered my new antenna for my rugged radio in my truck.

Reactions: Jimmy P