Not a build as much as a resurrection?

• HTML tutorial

jim lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Anacortes, WA
Member #

Ok, I updated the blog. If you don't see the new links you can (on Macs) hold down the shift key and click your refresh button. Maybe the same trick holds true for PCs as well?

Anyway, the blog link is on my signature.

Enjoy!

-jim lee

Reactions: Terry Pickens

jim lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Anacortes, WA
Member #

Replying to myself again?

Anyway, I updated the blog. Its more testing than wrenching this time. As I get the different bits fixed we've been running the poor machine all over seeing what'll break next..

Here's a teaser image.

You can see the hidden terror in Dan's eyes..

See link below.

-jim lee

Reactions: Camp_Llama

Phildirt

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

If you want more interaction in the thread maybe post more pics? That tends to stimulate conversation more than text/links to blogs. I like your truck but so far we've only seen 2 photos of it.

jim lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Anacortes, WA
Member #

If you want more interaction in the thread maybe post more pics? That tends to stimulate conversation more than text/links to blogs. I like your truck but so far we've only seen 2 photos of it.
You are correct in what you say. I've done it both ways, blog 100% on a forum and like I do now. The issue with the forum one is you loose control of your work, then typically something changes and you loose it altogether. The forum ones can be a lot of fun because of all the interaction. They can get really heated too! I did a couple boat builds on Sailing Anarchy. That's like doing art class for inmates. Those were a hoot! But I don't want to loose them anymore, so I've been keeping them on my own server.

Keeping them on my server is muffling the feedback though. I'm not happy with that aspect of it at all. Trying to find some sort of happy medium is the issue. I'm not sure how to mix the two successfully. I'm still trying to work that bit out.

Hmm..

So lets try this. Cut and paste the entire blog update here? Will people like this better?

-jim lee

Last edited:

jim lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Anacortes, WA
Member #

Minor adjustments?

Lets try some PR work... We have two Army trucks. An M37 painted up like an Army truck and this Carryall painted, greenish. Now, people wave and smile at the M37. I’ve had mothers, that I’ve never met before, ask me to take their kids for rides in it. And oddly, its a chick magnet as well. It’s the most bizarre thing. You drive it, and you are Mr. Popular.

Now the greenish Carryall? I get the feeling that when driving that machine, many people are just seeing a homeless drug addict. That or else its just invisible. I’ve had Julie tease me by singing bars from Aqualung when I’m driving it. “..greasy fingers smearing shabby clothes..’

Stars! Stars should transform this machine from a homeless carriage to an Army truck in the eyes of the masses. Lets give it a go. I’ll paint some stars on it.

I’d ordered star stencils from Vintage power wagon some time ago. They turned out to be really easy to use. Two thumbs up on these guys.

First star. Now, my idea was to make the stars look like they’ve been there all along.

So first of all, I painted them very lightly. Basically fogged them on from a longish distance. Next, I wiped them with a rag with a little paint thinner on it to loose major bits. Finally I sanded them some to “fade them”.

Now compare this to the picture at the top of the page. I think the effect turned out pretty well.

Always been there.

Ah, now notice the pinkish line on the right side of the tailgate? Another experiment is stuffing rags between the tailgate and the body when closing it. This goes a long way in silencing the incessant banging of the tailgate because it fits way too loosely.

Just this afternoon I noticed a light oil spotting all over back here. Gotta look into that. Sigh..

I’ve gone through the carb a couple more times. I’ve talked to the people that I bought the rebuild kit from. I’ve found some assembly errors and corrected them. I can actually see one of the errors in that picture.

The truck starts ok, idles ok, has ok power, runs ok.. But really nothing works vey good. I’m having nothing but trouble finding info for this oddball carb. I’m considering replacing it with something more common.

We’ll see.

Discovered the fuel pump was leaking all over. This kinda’ freaked me out for a bit. Did the diaphragm fail? Do I need to rebuild this?

After leaving and doing other things for a day I came back to this and had a good look at it. Where is fuel was leaking from? Turns out the large cap on top was loose. Snugged it up and we were good to go again.

Mother’s day.

Julie’s good at picking activities that everyone can at least tolerate. For mother’d day she decided we would ALL take the Carryall on the ferry over to Friday Harbor for a picnic.

On the Ferry over..

Friday Harbor. This like the tourist hot spot for the San Juans. I guess its kinda’ like our Key West up here.

Cruising around San Juan island. Its really pretty out there.

We had plenty of time, ‘till we did the math. We then realized we had 20 minutes to setup, cook, eat and be back on the road to the ferry. With no room for mechanical issues.

Good Lord!

We were actually able to setup, grill fish tacos, cleanup and go in time. Then it was 45mph all they way back to the ferry line.

And we made it back in time for our Ferry home. Whewh!

The ferry ride home. That’s Shelby (youngest) in the picture.

Everyone had a great time. Huge success!

Next day Julie and I took Franklin out camping by ourselves.

This was another deal where we’re getting experience in easy close to home camping. Also we’re putting hours on the truck to work out the bugs in it as well.

This might have been the first time camping without kids for what? Over 20 years? It was.. Oddly fun. Actually we had a fantastic time! The odd bit was we didn’t expect to have such a good time. We were so focused on stuff, me on the truck and logistics, her on everything all the time. We got out here, everything stopped.. Suddenly we felt like we were in our 20s again.

Did have one issue though.. Its about three am, I gotta’ go out and hit the can. I’d like to do this as stealthy as possible. So I think, “Don’t crawl over Julie. Just open up the tailgate and slip out that way.” So I quietly open up the tailgate, slip.. BANG!BANG! Both tailgate chains snap! CRASH!! The tailgate falls down and flop! I fall out of the back of the truck.

Julie’s all “What the H*LL was that!?”

“I broke the tailgate and fell out of the truck..”

“Really? Well, I guess the entire campground heard that one!”

Right. So now, we’re feeling ok about using this machine for a camper. Next, how well is it going to work off-road? That’s what it was designed for in the first place.

Today we tested it running down dirt roads for the first time. How does work off-road? TERRIBLE! Good Lord! What have I gotten myself into?

We’d just pulled over so Julie could get some snapshots. I’m checking stuff and Allie is getting her balance back.

At any speed at all, we fly around inside like jumping beans. On one bump I went down and Allie, next to me, went up, her hip was just about at my eye level.

We are literally stuck in 1st gear off-road.

Are the springs too stiff? I assume so. It hits bumps with a pretty hard bang. I don’t think the shocks are doing much at all. The old style spring seats are just horrible! And I paid so much for them! They are like sitting on bump amplifiers. They literally launch you into the ceiling (repeatedly) on every chuck hole. Not having seatbelts isn’t helping things any either. And I’m betting the body is doing some leaping on and off the frame as well. At least it sure sounds that way riding inside this machine.

What a nightmare! What am I going to do?

Last edited:

Rburt77YJ

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Maine
Member #

This is one of the top vehicles on my dream list of all time for overlanding. Just such a cool vehicle.

Phildirt

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Looks like fun. Thinking maybe that ride is normal/we're pretty spoiled to modern suspensions but I've never driven anything older than the early 80s...maybe the occasional 60s muscle car...if I had more room I'd grab a toy like this and have at it. The stars came out nice, weathering is one of my favorite custom touches.

58-fc170

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

There were no super soft 4 link coil suspensions with 30 inches of travel back in the day. Just be glad there are no rubber bushings to wear out and create "death wobble" not on durable old school leaf spring vehicles. :smiley:

Try letting some air out of the tires to cushion the off road ride a bit. Bias ply military tires don't flex much even with zero air (rubber puck syndrome). You could also pull a few leafs out of the spring packs but then you might loose wheel/tire clearance. Or just pile in the weight and get the suspension flexing.

Glad to see the old machine out and being used and enjoyed.

Last edited:

jim lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Anacortes, WA
Member #

I'm thinking I'll try the air-down trick. I do worry about airing it back up and having a lock ring blow off and kill me though.

There is president for airing down these old things. The WWII Ducks had an auto air-down system. I'm thinking I'll use that as a guide.

I talked to the online Dodge boys and they all laughed. One said he's had a Carryall in the family for 45 years and didn't think the springs had ever flexed. Some did say you could remove a leaf. I'm a tad leary of doing that yet. I think I'll work on seats & seatbelts first.

Well, actually swapping out the transfer case first. That's what I'm in the middle of today. Fingers crossed.

-jim lee

58-fc170

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I have messed with multiple type of the split rims with my old semi. Three piece rims are the scariest, but I found once the ring is seated properly and the tire aired up the ring doesn't move if the tire is deflated a bit.
But still keep in mind the dangers of muli piece rims.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

You probably would see some benefit from pulling the leaf packs apart and pulling out a leaf or two and replacing the bushings. When those things were made they were made to haul a lot of weight so being unloaded it's really going to bounce you around a lot. Another common issue people run into with leaf springs is over torquing the shackle bolts makes it real difficult for the suspension to cycle and move.

jim lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Anacortes, WA
Member #

I'd been thinking about modifying the springs, but I don't dare try that project this close to the WABDR (A month). Why? Because the odds are I'll break some irreplaceable part and spend weeks trying to get another or something like that. I'm finally learning that when working on this machine, part sourcing, information and my own learning curve all add up to shred any sort of schedule I come up with.

Right now I'm sorting through all this to come up with a list of what I really need to accomplish before the WABDR this July.

I was able to get my hands on a new/rebuilt (in 1962) transfer case last week. It took a couple days to swap it out. But finally we can have a conversation in this machine while driving down the highway. The old transfer case must have been in pretty rough shape to cause all that wonderful grinding noise.

P.S. The stars work amazingly well! All of a sudden all sorts of people are smiling and waving at the truck as it goes by. Seems to have done a great job of reducing the "Creeper Van" vibe it had before. :)

-jim lee

Last edited:
Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

jim lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Anacortes, WA
Member #

A bit of an update..

Getting closer to the planned July WABDR, I’ve been trying to focus the project down to a few manageable but necessary items. There is a roughness in the engine that I would like to cure, once and for all. Something in the new driveline sounds like its failing. And, the off-road ride must be improved. A big part of the off-road ride solution includes adding seatbelts. Everything was going along just swimmingly until I started on the seatbelts..

I’m pretty sure much of the engine roughness is due to the old Carter WA-1 Carburetor that this truck is using. Its not a usual choice for these Dodges and I’d all but decided to get a replacement when this Carter WA-1 turned up literally at my doorstep. At first glance it looked better than mine, so I figured “What the heck. I’ll give it a go.” And opened it up to see if I could use any parts.

It was actually in worse shape than what I had. Someone had bent things internally when assembling it in the past. Sad.. Burned a few days on that project. Now I’m back to thinking I need a replacement. Not ordered yet though.

The last piece in the driveline from the clutch to the ground is the transfer case. Now, there still is some nasty mechanical rattling going on under this truck, and I very much suspect that its caused by its worn out transfer case. I called Midwest and they had NOS rebuilt transfer cases in stock. I thought about what I went through rebuilding the gear box and all the time it ate up.. And ordered one.

They told me to bolt it in, fill it with oil and go.

After Pulling the old case out, getting everything ready and jacking this new bit in place.. We couldn’t get the mounting bolts to go in the holes. I’d gotten Steve to help and we kinda’ laid under the truck going “What the heck? What’s wrong now?” It felt like we had cross threaded all the bolts. We finally gave up for the day and pulled the transfer case back out.

Next day I bought a tap and die of the correct size, retapped all the mounting holes and ran the die over all the bolt threads.

That afternoon we were able to install the new transfer case. Cleaning out all the rusty threads was what it needed.

Julie hopped in the truck with Steve and I. We ran the truck out across the Skagit Valley to The Net Drive in for a test run and to grab some burgers for lunch.

Pretty cool! The truck ran down the highway like a normal car. Steve and Julie were able to keep a normal conversation going while we blasted along at 45mph.

I was so happy that, after we got back, I installed my Bluetooth stereo. The truck was finally quiet enough that I could hear a stereo.

Next day Julie and I ran the machine down to Cama beach on Camino Island. By the time we were heading home, I’d discovered oil pressure problems while climbing hills. A new, somewhat loud (maybe exhaust leak?) sound under the hood. And, the drive line had started to clunk & rattle again. More of a clunk.

I was not a happy camper.

I was so discouraged that I had to go do other things for a couple days.

When I returned, it was back to basics. Stop whining and lets get some numbers. Numbers are good for planning. First was compression.

1 : 135+
2 : 135+
3 : 125
4 : 100
5 : 125
6 : 125

Retested the low cylinder with oil squirted in it and there was no difference. So I’m assuming its not worn rings. (Because the oil is supposed to seal worn rings.) I suspect that valve needs adjustment.

While doing this I discovered the fan-belt was loose and was near the end of its adjustment. I wonder how I missed that? I was able to tighten it a little and the new under hood noise went away. New smaller belt is going on order today. Finally I discovered I was reading the dipstick wrong. What I though was showing me 1/2 quart low, was actually between 2..3 quarts low. Poor engine!

The speedo came back re-rebuilt. That at least seems to work now. It does swing about some under 20 mph, but its the high speed stuff that I need it for. That seems to be fine.

As for the driveline clunking about? I raised the rear wheels off the ground to unload the driveline and crawled under to see what I could see. Turns out that the rear driveshaft spline has lateral (side to side & up n down) slop in it now. I can grab the driveshaft and clunk it up and down. This is supposed to have been a brand new NOS spline. How in the world did I wear it out this fast? Something’s fishy here..

Then the seatbelts arrived. Knowing that this project will take a bunch of time, I started looking into how these should be installed.

I really can’t bolt them to this, falling to bits, wood floor. I “gulp”, need to attach them to something under the floor.

Meaning..

The floor has to.. Come out.

I’ve been dreading this day since I bought the machine. Because all the mess has been covered up, I could somewhat pretend its ok. Now the reality of how bad things are will be staring me in the face.

That’s Steve marking where all the fasteners are so he can cut around the heads to remove the old floor.

Sawing out the fasteners. Steve has been at me for some time to let him redo the floor in this machine. He “sees” the wood and how cool it’ll be when its done. I “see” the rotting metal of the body and frame underneath.

And the floor is gone.

After a massive cleanup and vacuuming we find..

Dissolved and crushed driver’s body and door post mount. I have no idea what’s supposed to go here. How does this structure go? Its missing.

Passenger’s side body mount and doorpost. Again. How is this supposed to go and how in the world can I fix it?

The forward cross member wasn’t attached to anything and fell out. The second cross member at some point in time had been replaced by a 2x4...

Rotting out floor under driver’s seat. If you grab the seat frame and pull, the entire cab floor lifts up..

At this point, I’m kinda’ at a loss.

I’m off to order that fan-belt I needed to get.

Maybe a set of bolt cutters as well..

-jim lee

Last edited:
Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Don't look at it in the big picture. Break it down into very small pieces of repairs so it doesn't seem as overwhelming. Start with the mandatory repairs probably under the seat and passenger areas and then work your way back.

Reactions: jim lee