Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
We have 2 successful monthly reoccurring telephone conferences held on the 3rd Sunday of each month. @David H hosts the Treasure Valley Conference Call at 7:30 pm Mountain Time 6:30 pm Pacific Time. And @Sandpoint Steve hosts the Inland Northwest Conference Call at 8:30 Mountain Time 7:30 Pacific Time. I encourage all of you who can to call in to these meetings. They are a great time, and lots of information is shared amongst our selfs.

I am wondering if there would be any interest in a reoccurring Ham Net for the Northwest under the same kind of ideas?

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
We have 2 successful monthly reoccurring telephone conferences held on the 3rd Sunday of each month. @David H hosts the Treasure Valley Conference Call at 7:30 pm Mountain Time 6:30 pm Pacific Time. And @Sandpoint Steve hosts the Inland Northwest Conference Call at 8:30 Mountain Time 7:30 Pacific Time. I encourage all of you who can to call in to these meetings. They are a great time, and lots of information is shared amongst our selfs.

I am wondering if there would be any interest in a reoccurring Ham Net for the Northwest under the same kind of ideas?
Feel free to join us on Fridays for the existing net as well and you could continue on echolink after the net to rag chew. Will and the GnG crew would love to have you!

Reactions: M Rose

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
The Friday night net is really a great way to connect with members thought the community. And a great platform to show what the NW Region is doing.

Reactions: M Rose and TerryD

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I get my radio today... I got my coax crimp set yesterday... should have the rest of the parts to build my antenna next week
Unless you have an echolink repeater you have permissions to bring up the net local to you (which is more than welcome) the net operates on the Echolink server. You can access it with a PC or smartphone!

There's a write-up in the coms section I believe about getting Echolink setup on your device.

I'm net control for the night, please join us!

Last edited:

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

There's a write-up in the coms section I believe about getting Echolink setup on your device.

Reactions: TerryD

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Thanks Jon! I was on my phone when I posted that and didn't have a chance to search it out.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I have access to the EchoLink Repeater... our club owns it and they say it needs more use...

• Love

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Got my radio today, unfortunately even with all the gear I do have already, no antenna yet... back to working on the Bronco... I want my interior done today... I’m tired of not being able to drive.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Do you have coax with one end on it? Strip out about 19.5" of it, pull the center out of the braid where it comes out of the jacket and tape it to a broom handle. Bam! 1/4w dipole ready to rock!

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
You're a ham, don't let something like no antenna keep you off the air. I've loaded bits of flag pole, stripped out coax, used pieces of old romex, heck some guys load the gutters on their house or just drop a random wire down the driveway!

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I don’t have anything Terry... just a radio... I live in a fiberglass house with a rubber roof... I wonder if I could make my tv antenna work for 2 Meter.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I don’t have anything Terry... just a radio... I live in a fiberglass house with a rubber roof... I wonder if I could make my tv antenna work for 2 Meter.
With enough cutting no doubt!

I try to keep a few sections of the coax you get a truck stops on hand for emergencies and general use. Most of the black jacket stuff is good for HF jumpers and has aluminum shield you can't solder to. It's what I've stripped out in the past for a quick dipole if I have a damaged piece of it laying around.

The clear jacket stuff is GENERALLY copper braid RG-8X and can be repaired if damaged or used to make jumpers. Not ideal for VHF/UHF but anything is better in a pinch than nothing!

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
With enough cutting no doubt!

I try to keep a few sections of the coax you get a truck stops on hand for emergencies and general use. Most of the black jacket stuff is good for HF jumpers and has aluminum shield you can't solder to. It's what I've stripped out in the past for a quick dipole if I have a damaged piece of it laying around.

The clear jacket stuff is GENERALLY copper braid RG-8X and can be repaired if damaged or used to make jumpers. Not ideal for VHF/UHF but anything is better in a pinch than nothing!
I have 100’ feet of coax on the way, 10 0259 couplers, and several other miscellaneous couplers... all should be here next week... I will head to the truck stop tomorrow and see if they have any coax.. last time I was in there they had one fiberglass antenna in the cb stuff. The TS is under new ownership and supplies have gone to heck over the past couple months.

• Sad

educky

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bonney Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Morehead
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7RTO
Anyone near Puyallup who wouldn't indulge a fairly new HAM person with how-to's and walkthrough excercises once I get my HAM back in my truck? I'm hesitant to join a meet-up/event because I'm honestly kinda socially inept. (Obviously after all this lockdowns etc are over) Will take me time to get it into my rig as I found an oddity to deal with in my truck wiring.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Anyone near Puyallup who wouldn't indulge a fairly new HAM person with how-to's and walkthrough excercises once I get my HAM back in my truck? I'm hesitant to join a meet-up/event because I'm honestly kinda socially inept. (Obviously after all this lockdowns etc are over) Will take me time to get it into my rig as I found an oddity to deal with in my truck wiring.
What is this oddity in which you speak of?

educky

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bonney Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Morehead
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7RTO
What is this oddity in which you speak of?
So, on some modern vehicles they have a ELD (Electrical Load Detector) on the charging system.

See attached (On my truck, follow the neg leads through that loop).

So They dont recommend running straight to the battery (on neg leads) or it might affect charging, or cause a ground loop in rare cases)

Attachments

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
So, on some modern vehicles they have a ELD (Electrical Load Detector) on the charging system.

See attached (On my truck, follow the neg leads through that loop).

So They dont recommend running straight to the battery (on neg leads) or it might affect charging, or cause a ground loop in rare cases)
That is a conundrum.... how about grounding out to the frame or body instead of the battery?