Sisters, Deschutes County, Oregon, United States
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Nygren
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7KJK
This sounds like a blast! I've been wanting to go overlanding up into Canada for a while. I'll probably try to meet closer towards upper Washington or Idaho as I live in Sandpoint ID, if that would work. Looking forward to the details!
Hello and Welcome Erin!

I am glad you are considering the trip.

The key item is having a passport(s) or submitting your passport application within a week since the normal turnaround is 6-9 weeks.

I will post an update here over the weekend. I will add additional information to the main post.

Do not hesitate to reach out to me if you have any thoughts, suggestions, or questions.

Reactions: Ebbs

Ebbs

Rank VI

Influencer II

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Eberhardt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0JBH
Service Branch
Air Force 02-18
This sounds like a blast! I've been wanting to go overlanding up into Canada for a while. I'll probably try to meet closer towards upper Washington or Idaho as I live in Sandpoint ID, if that would work. Looking forward to the details!
Hello and Welcome Erin!

The key item is having a passport(s) or submitting your passport application within a week since the normal turnaround is 6-9 weeks.

I will post an update here over the weekend. I will add additional information to the main post.

Do not hesitate to reach out to me if you have any thoughts, suggestions, or questions.
Actually just saw that the turnaround time is up to 11 weeks for a passport routine request

5-7 for expedited

Reactions: Glacierdog

Ebbs

Rank VI

Influencer II

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Eberhardt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0JBH
Service Branch
Air Force 02-18
Awesome! Definitely can't wait for this trip

Glacierdog

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Chris
Last Name
Nygren
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7KJK
Hello and Welcome Erin!

Actually just saw that the turnaround time is up to 11 weeks for a passport routine request

5-7 for expedited
I sent ours through Expedited just to be safe.

Good information!

Glacierdog

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Chris
Last Name
Nygren
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7KJK

Leaving from Central Oregon late May 2023 and drive up into Alberta Canada (west of Edmonton). Planning on a 10 day round trip. Weather will dictate route through the Canadian Rockies. I am laying out all details for this bucket list fulfilling trip. Contact me if you want to join the adventure.

Some additional information... Travel Alberta. What you need to know before you go.

Two areas of interest and recommendations from OB members who live in the Edmonton, Alberta area ate:

Forestry Trunk Road
Trans Alta Road - Ghost River

Ebbs

Rank VI

Influencer II

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Eberhardt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0JBH
Service Branch
Air Force 02-18
So I'm having to drop. Wife wants to tag along with her friends, but they're pulling an RV and so I'll be tied to rv sites (holding out hope for a night or two on our own in the wild)

Bummed

Buzzbee17

Rank V

Enthusiast II

Sandpoint, Bonner County, Idaho, United States
First Name
Erin
Last Name
Busby
Member #

So I\'m having to drop. Wife wants to tag along with her friends, but they\'re pulling an RV and so I\'ll be tied to rv sites (holding out hope for a night or two on our own in the wild)

Bummed
Hi there! I will catch up with your comments and links shortly. I have the Canadian Rockies BRMB map book (great resource) and was looking into getting a few others for BC & AB. I haven't explored very much in Canada, which is a crime since I live so close. Hoping this trip inspires more in the future. I already have a passport and will start outfitting my vehicle soon (I take most everything off during the winter). Bummed you aren't able to go, Brandon! Looking forward to this!

Glacierdog

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Chris
Last Name
Nygren
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7KJK
What have you had to do for you pup? Looking to possibly bring our two dogs, a 6Y/O Ridgeback and a 2Y/O yellow lab
You will need to arrange with your vet within 5 days of you crossing the boarder. You will need to get a health certificate. This certificate will help you to cross back into the US. Your vet should know how long the health certicate is good for. You will need one for each dog.

Glacierdog

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Chris
Last Name
Nygren
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7KJK

Leaving from Central Oregon late May 2023 and drive up into Alberta Canada (East of Edmonton). Planning on a 10 day round trip. Weather will dictate route through the Canadian Rockies. I am laying out all details for this bucket list fulfilling trip. Contact me if you want to join the adventure.

It may be getting late for the aurora by late May - always possible however .
The solar maximum occurs 2023/2024, so we might get lucky. Regardless, we should have a good trip and see some incredible landscape.
Hello Erin!

Do you have a GPS mapping tool? I will post a gpx file soon of the intended route up into the Rockies. We are planning to stay our first night near Spokane, WA. The 2nd night Bow Valley Campground in Alberta, Canada.

Let me know if that might work for you?

Chris

Buzzbee17

Rank V

Enthusiast II

Sandpoint, Bonner County, Idaho, United States
First Name
Erin
Last Name
Busby
Member #

Hello Erin!

Do you have a GPS mapping tool? I will post a gpx file soon of the intended route up into the Rockies. We are planning to stay our first night near Spokane, WA. The 2nd night Bow Valley Campground in Alberta, Canada.

Let me know if that might work for you?

Chris
Aha! I thought I saw a post from you but just found it. I use Gaia on a tablet and if I have wifi I like to look things up on Google Earth. I also have a car GPS and a handheld. It looks like you would probably come up thru Sandpoint, so I could catch up with you here. Are you still planning on leaving your area on that Tuesday? I have tentative days off and will firm up when I know when for sure. Hoping more rigs join up as we get closer. It might be easier (and quicker) if you want to use email. Mine is buzzbee17@gmail.com. Also, not sure if you know already, if we are going thru the national parks, we will need a parks pass, even just driving thru. Passes, permits and fees - Parks Canada We also need to get a camping permit for boondocking. Public Lands Camping Pass I have both already since I live close and want to adventure more up there this year.

Erin

rf_Carolina

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Raleigh, NC, USA
First Name
Auref
Last Name
Aslami
Member #

Good morning, y'all,

The website shows 3 attending and 2 not. Is that correct? Looking forward to this awesome adventure and meeting everyone.

Ebbs

Rank VI

Influencer II

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Eberhardt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0JBH
Service Branch
Air Force 02-18
I may actually still be joining for a few. My friends backed out, so we're not tied to any one else, however we did make some plans for a few nights in Jasper so we could hit all the touristy things.

Ugh I hate being "THAT GUY" I'm doing my best to finalize my plan. But my trailer build is taking longer than I planned, hoping to be 99% done this weekend. Then I can really sit down and fully commit to a plan.

Ebbs

Rank VI

Influencer II

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Eberhardt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0JBH
Service Branch
Air Force 02-18
Good morning, y'all,

The website shows 3 attending and 2 not. Is that correct? Looking forward to this awesome adventure and meeting everyone.
Are you headed out directly from NC? Or are you going to be out here already?

Ebbs

Rank VI

Influencer II

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Eberhardt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0JBH
Service Branch
Air Force 02-18
Aha! I thought I saw a post from you but just found it. I use Gaia on a tablet and if I have wifi I like to look things up on Google Earth. I also have a car GPS and a handheld. It looks like you would probably come up thru Sandpoint, so I could catch up with you here. Are you still planning on leaving your area on that Tuesday? I have tentative days off and will firm up when I know when for sure. Hoping more rigs join up as we get closer. It might be easier (and quicker) if you want to use email. Mine is buzzbee17@gmail.com. Also, not sure if you know already, if we are going thru the national parks, we will need a parks pass, even just driving thru. Passes, permits and fees - Parks Canada We also need to get a camping permit for boondocking. Public Lands Camping Pass I have both already since I live close and want to adventure more up there this year.

Erin
I was planning on purchasing these enroute or should I get them before?