Northeast WA, ID panhandle 5/26-5/28/17 (Memorial weekend)

• HTML tutorial

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
Hey all!
I am planning a trip from Spokane, up to Preist Lake to FR 302, to Metaline Falls WA, then over to Northport, WA. Hopefully we will be able to camp on the lookout above Northport. I have some calls in on this. We'll take Sheep Creek Rd over to Orient, then Little Boulder Creek to Boulder Creek. We'll turn south 6113, cross over Hwy 20 on Sherman Pass, then take 2014 to the second nights camp. Inchelium and the Inchelium/Gifford ferry then back to Spokane. There is plenty of dispersed camping spots along the way, but snowpack could slow things down enough that planning on camping at certain places may not be possible. I have tried to go across Pass Creek pass at the same time a couple years ago, and it had a good amount of snow in one shaded area. I didn't try to cross it alone, but I thought it was do able. So, turning around could come into play on this trip with the amount of snow this year. At present time the snowpack is still waist deep in the northern counties.
Along the way we will see the shoe tree, gorgeous views along Pass Creek, Sullivan Lake, Boundry dam, Gardner Caves, the Flagstaff Mountain overlook, (I hope we can camp there, the sunrise would be epic I think!) the towns of Republic and Northport, and much more. There is fuel along the way in multiple places, and stock rigs should have no troubles (unless snowpack hinders road, we'll make that call if we encounter it). This is Grizzly country though, few and far between, but Grizzlies nonetheless. I've seen wolf track and mountain lion tracks along the route, as well as elk, deer, and moose.
I will be taking shovels, straps and chains with, (both tire and binder) a couple rock bars too. Small rock slides are a possibility, the one that turned us around last year could have been cleared with some time and equipment, but wasn't real bad. I'm working on my ham license, but I have a cb and cell service is spotty but decent. A chainsaw or 6 wouldn't hurt, as the roads will most likely need some cleaning. The Border Patrol will most likely check us out every once and a while also as the route is close to Canada.
I'm thinking of meeting at the old northbound scale on Hwy 2 north of Spokane (just past Elk Chattaroy Rd) at 9 am. For those coming from the east, we could meet up in Preist River before we turn north. And I'm thinking about 10 rigs.
I'm going to gauge interest before going into much further detail. I'm also going to tag some member who I think may have interest, please feel free to do the same.

@timberwolf_120
@Dustin S. Godtfring
@Sandpoint Steve

Last edited:

Dustin S. Godtfring

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

Spokane valley, Washington 99206
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Godtfring
Member #

I wanna go and hopefully I will have my rear locker in place for this trip.
What do I need for this trip and stuff.

I have a camping shovel, snow shovel, camping hatch, camping mallet, 1 tow rope, Maxtracks, sleepbags, 5 man tent, 1 portable table, camping dishes, Aussie BBQ.

Last edited:
Reactions: timberwolf_120

Dustin S. Godtfring

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

Spokane valley, Washington 99206
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Godtfring
Member #

You won't need a rear locker. Forest roads.... well, I guess if we have to cross some snow pack it wouldn't be a bad idea. You have someone to install it?
I know that but I want it in anyways. I'm doing it myself. I hope it's not hard to do and stuff.

I think probably add this to the calendar so maybe more people would see it and or also create an event on Facebook?

Last edited:
Reactions: Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
I know that but I want it in anyways. I'm doing it myself. I hope it's not hard to do and stuff.

I think probably add this to the calendar so maybe more people would see it and or also create an event on Facebook?
I don't know how to add it to the calendar, and do you mean create a Facebook page or something? If you need any help, our mechanics at work may be willing to help.

Reactions: Dustin S. Godtfring

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
I had an idea. Instead of taking 21 south out of Republic, we could turn south from Little boulder creek and head south to a pretty darn nice spot I know. Room for quite a few rigs, I've always wanted to camp there. Can head out to Inchelium on Sunday and catch the Ferry over to Gifford. (pic time!!) I have a couple pics of that spot somewhere....