North Rim Camping Spots

• HTML tutorial

Rblain82

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor I

Pampa, Texas
Member #

Hey guys I'm going to be traveling to the north rim of the Grand Canyon in a few weeks with my family. I don't want to mess with making reservations or staying in the actual national park where I have to pay to camp. Do any of you guys have good spots that are on the BLM? I've looked at several Maps and think I have a few spots but have personally never been to any of them. Any help would be appreciated!!

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Also interested to hear this. North Rim is on my B-list for spots for this Fall.

You may look at the Toroweap area also, nice drive, fairly remote and some good spots there.
I think a permit is required.

Reactions: Ryan Matthes

Rogue Beardsman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rotonda West, Florida
Member #

I lived at the North Rim for 6 seasons! Just before you get the the entrance station there the Kaibab National forest. You can take FR22 and ones you get into the tree line there are tons of free camp spots. If you take the road across from fr22 (Fr610?) that will take you to the east rim. If you follow that road back past " east rim view" parking area you can find some camping spots on the edge in Saddle Mountain Wilderness overlooking Marble Canyon.
Im going to try to find a map to mark some spots.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: VCeXpedition

Rogue Beardsman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rotonda West, Florida
Member #

This is all off of Hwy67
Which will open back up on May 15th

Here are some snaps of a map.
I marked the route with the red line. Once you get to the end of that there will be some of the best campsites on the right. They sit on the edge with great views. The road is a gravel road a little washboard but can be done in a sedan. Any of the side roads get rougher so be careful of any road with a number and a letter. The country store across from Kaibab Lodge sells North Kaibab national Forest maps. If you go to the Lodge Gift Store( not the visitor center ) tell Julie that the Bossman says hi.

Reactions: VCeXpedition

Rblain82

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor I

Pampa, Texas
Member #

camp.jpg
I lived at the North Rim for 6 seasons! Just before you get the the entrance station there the Kaibab National forest. You can take FR22 and ones you get into the tree line there are tons of free camp spots. If you take the road across from fr22 (Fr610?) that will take you to the east rim. If you follow that road back past " east rim view" parking area you can find some camping spots on the edge in Saddle Mountain Wilderness overlooking Marble Canyon.
Im going to try to find a map to mark some spots.
@Jensen Cole Mason

yes, this is exactly where I was looking...

Thank you! Glad to know that the road is not too bad.

Rblain82

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor I

Pampa, Texas
Member #

I use to drive out there and camp in my Honda Accord so any of the main forest roads are pretty well kept. Glad I could help.

you have no idea how much peace of mind that gives me. I'll be traveling out there with my family and didn't want to get us into something that was more than we bargained for. haha...

Reactions: Rogue Beardsman

Ryan Matthes

OB Ambassador
Supporter +
Investor

Explorer I

Chapel Hill, NC
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Matthes
Member #

Also interested to hear this. North Rim is on my B-list for spots for this Fall.

You may look at the Toroweap area also, nice drive, fairly remote and some good spots there.
I think a permit is required.
Also planning on a GC this Fall - maybe a group trip?

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk