Brandon
Last Name
Eberhardt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0JBH
Service Branch
Air Force 02-18
So going off what we discussed at the Meet @PapaDave hosted 1/8, and trying to organize some monthly trips, I figured I'd start a thread for ideas and discussion. I know right now locations are limited due to weather, but some may know of some areas that are still accessible and might be worth just getting out and seeing. But also thinking about going forward, getting ideas out there so folks can throw out areas they want to see/visit and we can decide on a sort of schedule/plan so folks can arrange time if need be. I have a thousand places I want to visit that I know of, and probably a million more I don't know of.

I know we discussed the Snake River/Lewiston area might be good for March...Thoughts? Any other ideas?

Any ideas for the rest of the year? areas you want to go explore? I'll start (most of mine are just areas I want to go explore rather than specific spots)
Salmo Mountain Lookout
Shorty Peak
Burton Peak
Sherman Pass
Hungry Horse Dam
Snyder Guard Station Historical District
Breeden Falls
Juniper Dunes Wilderness
Sugar Loaf Lookout (been there but LOVED it and would go back in a heartbeat)
Wallowa Lake area
Steen's Mountains/Alvord Desert (been there many times... never out on the flats though)

Tagging those that were at the meeting but EVERYONE please feel free to chime in!
@Mountaintrails71
@brewerrob
@Mitch&TigaB
@Sandpoint Steve
@Big Red Burb
@Señor Steve
@G.Goodwin

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
So going off what we discussed at the Meet @PapaDave hosted 1/8, and trying to organize some monthly trips, I figured I'd start a thread for ideas and discussion. I know right now locations are limited due to weather, but some may know of some areas that are still accessible and might be worth just getting out and seeing. But also thinking about going forward, getting ideas out there so folks can throw out areas they want to see/visit and we can decide on a sort of schedule/plan so folks can arrange time if need be. I have a thousand places I want to visit that I know of, and probably a million more I don't know of.

I know we discussed the Snake River/Lewiston area might be good for March...Thoughts? Any other ideas?

Any ideas for the rest of the year? areas you want to go explore? I'll start (most of mine are just areas I want to go explore rather than specific spots)
Salmo Mountain Lookout
Shorty Peak
Burton Peak
Sherman Pass
Hungry Horse Dam
Snyder Guard Station Historical District
Breeden Falls
Juniper Dunes Wilderness
Sugar Loaf Lookout (been there but LOVED it and would go back in a heartbeat)
Wallowa Lake area
Steen's Mountains/Alvord Desert (been there many times... never out on the flats though)

Tagging those that were at the meeting but EVERYONE please feel free to chime in!
@Mountaintrails71
@brewerrob
@Mitch&TigaB
@Sandpoint Steve
@Big Red Burb
@Señor Steve
@G.Goodwin
Being the new one here I’m down for all of those. I did see some sort of video about Gulch Road or something that had these towering cliffs on either side??

Late February early March what would a good trip destination be to avoid snow? (I know there’s no guarantee)

Thanks @Ebbs for starting this discussion!

Reactions: Ebbs

Ebbs

Rank VI

Influencer II

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Eberhardt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0JBH
Service Branch
Air Force 02-18
Being the new one here I’m down for all of those. I did see some sort of video about Gulch Road or something that had these towering cliffs on either side??

Late February early March what would a good trip destination be to avoid snow? (I know there’s no guarantee)

Thanks @Ebbs for starting this discussion!
Yes I believe that Leslie Gulch Road

1673299292456.png

I am definitely interested... however that is a drive from CDA... and one we'd want to do as an over night trip if not a two night trip to explore the rest of the area... (note all the "want to go" flags LOL)
1673299626857.png

Reactions: PapaDave

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Yes I believe that Leslie Gulch Road

View attachment 248120

I am definitely interested... however that is a drive from CDA... and one we'd want to do as an over night trip if not a two night trip to explore the rest of the area... (note all the "want to go" flags LOL)
View attachment 248121
Me: looks at flags
oh is that all

Agreed somewhere closer than Leslie Gulch is better

shortbus4x4

Rank II

Enthusiast III

George just posted up his trip schedule for the year if anyone from up here is interested in doing some good trips in S ID. I will be going down there for a couple of them.

Reactions: Ebbs

Ebbs

Rank VI

Influencer II

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Eberhardt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0JBH
Service Branch
Air Force 02-18
George just posted up his trip schedule for the year if anyone from up here is interested in doing some good trips in S ID. I will be going down there for a couple of them.
Looks very interesting, unfortunately, most of the dates conflict with something else I have, but the September run from Oregon to Bliss may work!

We may have to start figuring out our own routes up north.

Ebbs

Rank VI

Influencer II

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Eberhardt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0JBH
Service Branch
Air Force 02-18
We may have to start figuring out our own routes up north.
I have some but this time of year they are all snowed in. Eastern WA has some good ones that are usually open this time of year if you're into geology.
Honestly I'm interested in everything outdoors and especially if someone is willing to teach and point things out.

Mountaintrails71

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Newman Lake, Spokane County, Washington, United States
First Name
David
Last Name
Schlenker
Member #

I have a lot planned for this year. Mostly weekend worrier stuff that I can get to the first night within daylight after work. I like lakes, mountain tops, mining stuff, ghost towns and short hikes. But these won’t get started till April. I have a 3 week Wyoming and Utah trip planned in late May. And I am thinking about Idaho BDR (maybe just the upper part) in September/Oct. I will start a lot of day trip soon on Saturday’s to find local snow levels and I usually take firewood with me and have lunch in the mountains if that interests anyone.

Attachments

Ebbs

Rank VI

Influencer II

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Eberhardt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0JBH
Service Branch
Air Force 02-18
I have a lot planned for this year. Mostly weekend worrier stuff that I can get to the first night within daylight after work. I like lakes, mountain tops, mining stuff, ghost towns and short hikes. But these won’t get started till April. I have a 3 week Wyoming and Utah trip planned in late May. And I am thinking about Idaho BDR (maybe just the upper part) in September/Oct. I will start a lot of day trip soon on Saturday’s to find local snow levels and I usually take firewood with me and have lunch in the mountains if that interests anyone.
Definitely interested! Through the summer I may be only able to swing a weekend, but my goal is to get out and camp at least 1 weekend a month, goal of two.

I'd be interested in September for a Idaho BDR if my WABDR trip falls through (more likely by the day)
Definitely interested in going slower seeing more, than rushing just to get it all done. So would be interested even if it's just so the upper part.

Mountaintrails71

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Newman Lake, Spokane County, Washington, United States
First Name
David
Last Name
Schlenker
Member #

For March trip.. Not sure what has been planned yet. This time of year the expectations for a dirt road overlanding trip should be low. With NW weather it’s likely you will need to stick to paved roads. That being said. Do you stick to 70mph highways and just get to destination points or stick to 50 mph roads and see some country with destination points. I have a few ideas. Such as Palouse Falls. Lower Granite or Little Goose Dam. The Lewiston area has some good food And there are places to camp down there. Up towards Orofino or even up highway 12 towards Montana there are hot springs.

Reactions: shortbus4x4

shortbus4x4

Rank II

Enthusiast III

For March trip.. Not sure what has been planned yet. This time of year the expectations for a dirt road overlanding trip should be low. With NW weather it’s likely you will need to stick to paved roads. That being said. Do you stick to 70mph highways and just get to destination points or stick to 50 mph roads and see some country with destination points. I have a few ideas. Such as Palouse Falls. Lower Granite or Little Goose Dam. The Lewiston area has some good food And there are places to camp down there. Up towards Orofino or even up highway 12 towards Montana there are hot springs.
Ritzville to Lyons Ferry on 261 is one of my favorite stretches of highway in WA.

shortbus4x4

Rank II

Enthusiast III

I do a lot of two lane highways in eastern WA for work, 4-5k miles a month. Lots of good scenery and a few good restaurants. Palouse Falls during the spring run off is amazing, you can hear big rocks going over it. Steptoe Butte is another good spot to drive to the top of. You do need a WA Discover Pass for them though and lots of other WA places, there are a few free days though.20170319_182830.jpg20170319_144043.jpg20170319_182800.jpg20170319_143931.jpg

shortbus4x4

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Also just because it's winter and snow doesn't mean you can't get out. These are from a day trip to Priest Lake in February 2018.20180113_134912.jpg20180113_154320.jpg20180113_135903.jpg20180113_153724.jpg

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH

shortbus4x4

Rank II

Enthusiast III

If we head towards Lyons Ferry they have a fish hatchery there that I think does tours with advance warning. Here's some pictures of when I was down there for work.20210419_160843.jpg20210419_143704.jpg20210419_141115.jpg