North Georgia/UpState SC Meetup - 11/18/2017

• HTML tutorial

Eric Neal

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Atlanta, GA
Member #

Hi guys, a brief update on our initial overland trip to the Southwest.

We sprinted the 1700 miles out to Tucson then took a few days rest IMG954389.jpg break while visiting family and friends. I'll share more about that when we meet up again in Appalachia.

Our first track was the "Mexican Border Road" which starts south of Sierra Vista, AZ (not far from Fort Huachuca).

Perfect temps and weather night and day, no problems with illegal immigrants or drug activity. Felt safe and we enjoyed the vast scenery across the grassland deserts of southeastern Arizona (pics below). We spent the night at Parker Lake campground before exiting the route just outside of Nogales, AZ. We then headed to Ajo, AZ for a visit into Organ Pipe Cactus NationalMonument - more about that later.

Attachments

Reactions: WillRunner

Eric Neal

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Atlanta, GA
Member #

Hey all you GA and SC 'OB' friends, if you're interested I just posted another AZ trip update in the "Overland Trips Now or Then" section and I think its titled "1st time to Southern Arizona".

Hope to see you folks on the trails in GA, NC, TN and SC during 2018.

WillRunner

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loganville, GA
Member #

One of the best places is actually YouTube but the caveat is a video 3 years ago doesn't mean the trail hasn't changed or they could be closed down. There is far more public land in the West than here in the SE and what there is can be negatively impacted by poor use by off roaders themselves. The lessons of Telico Plains didn't sink in among the 4 wheel community as deep as it should have.

Even now Forest Service Roads are being closed out to keep the Bigfooters from tearing them up as they try to stroke their own mechanical egos. And not all abuse comes from off roaders as there is the locals who use the areas as a beer bash spot or worse still to dump trash.

Our trail options also decrease as tax dollars are diverted away from natural resources expenitures to pay for manpower and maintenance upkeep.

Until sportsman and outdoor folk can find a means to self pay and sustain cost management of these areas, our options across the country may only continue to decline.

Colorado and Utah have made trails a tourist draw and in that sense a money maker. How do we take that model and use it here in the SE? For one, make sure as you hit a local business to let them know what you are about. Also consider hitting a local grocery store at or near the trail to stock up as opposed to buying where you live. If you generate a local economic good and better yet they know you by name and face, you just created another ally who wants you on the trail as much as you do.

Sorry to soapbox a bit but your post hits on a topic of trail access and IMO we as a community need to discuss and brainstorm this topic.
So much truth here Keith! California has lot's of open land and a few awesome off road parks and there is a constant battle with lobbyist groups who want road closures. When I lived there, I joined a few off road clubs and we would do fund raisers for legal battles and participated in trail cleanups and maintenance to show the public that not all 4 wheel drive enthusiasts are in to destroying the environment. I would love to connect with folks here who get together for trail maintenance and PR activities to help show the public that we are responsible and appreciate the privilege of back country exploration... I've see a few camp areas in Tray Mtn that were trashed and would like to plan a day to go up and do a trash pick up/wheeling...

WillRunner

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loganville, GA
Member #

Hey Will, enjoyed the video. I haven't been up that route before so I'll hit you up in late winter-early spring for a little "beta" after we get back from our travels out west.
Thanks Mr. Eric! I love your pictures, thanks for sharing, they really make me miss the west!

CaptGB

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate III

Lilburn, GA
Member #

So much truth here Keith! California has lot's of open land and a few awesome off road parks and there is a constant battle with lobbyist groups who want road closures. When I lived there, I joined a few off road clubs and we would do fund raisers for legal battles and participated in trail cleanups and maintenance to show the public that not all 4 wheel drive enthusiasts are in to destroying the environment. I would love to connect with folks here who get together for trail maintenance and PR activities to help show the public that we are responsible and appreciate the privilege of back country exploration... I've see a few camp areas in Tray Mtn that were trashed and would like to plan a day to go up and do a trash pick up/wheeling...
Count me in!

Eric Neal

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Atlanta, GA
Member #

GA traverse in March 2018 sounds like a great idea.

Keep me posted. I'm currently crashing in a motel in Santa Rosa, NM with Trecia. We spent several of the last few nights in N Arizona in sub-freezing temps which created some distress with coffee first thing in the morning. LOL

We've been camping (overlanding) thru Mojave Rd, Death Valley (southern end) Magollon Rim trail (N. AZ) then over to the painted desert today. Getting tired, needing a shower, etc.

Heading over to Oklahoma in the morning then back to Atlanta in a few days.

Can't wait to see all you guys again. Apparently the mild weather out in SW we had been experiencing on our trip has not been holding true for you folks in GA.

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

Keep me posted. I'm currently crashing in a motel in Santa Rosa, NM with Trecia. We spent several of the last few nights in N Arizona in sub-freezing temps which created some distress with coffee first thing in the morning. LOL

We've been camping (overlanding) thru Mojave Rd, Death Valley (southern end) Magollon Rim trail (N. AZ) then over to the painted desert today. Getting tired, needing a shower, etc.

Can't wait to see all you guys again. Apparently the mild weather out in SW we had been experiencing on our trip has not been holding true for you folks in GA.
We are back to more typical weather but after the cold spike last week, it feels almost summertime.

The Traverse trip is going to take place on Saturday February 10th which I'm hoping to get posted in the next day or 2. Work has been more hectic than I thought it would this week.

As to a March Traverse trip, that is not out of the question either so if you can't make the February trip, then maybe a March trip might be in order. Maybe on the March run we go from Tray Mountain over to Cohutta.

Enjoy the rest of your western adventures and safe travels home.

WillRunner

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loganville, GA
Member #

I can't wait to hear all about your trip! It sounds pretty epic!

WillRunner

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loganville, GA
Member #

We are back to more typical weather but after the cold spike last week, it feels almost summertime.

The Traverse trip is going to take place on Saturday February 10th which I'm hoping to get posted in the next day or 2. Work has been more hectic than I thought it would this week.

As to a March Traverse trip, that is not out of the question either so if you can't make the February trip, then maybe a March trip might be in order. Maybe on the March run we go from Tray Mountain over to Cohutta.

Got it penciled in my calendar!!!

Eric Neal

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Atlanta, GA
Member #

Hi Guys, we've made it back to Atlanta from our trip. Feels so strange to be driving in our home town after just over a month on the road especially with most of that in the desert.

I'll try to review pics, limit the number and draft a brief report of the entire trip in a few days... still trying to unpack!!

Eric Neal

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Atlanta, GA
Member #

I've got the Feb weekend on my calendar. Just let me know which section (or sections) of the GA Traverse you think will be on the agenda!

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

I've got the Feb weekend on my calendar. Just let me know which section (or sections) of the GA Traverse you think will be on the agenda!
Right now we will do from Burrells Ford to Dillard which is all vehicle and then from Dillard (Betty Creek/Patterson Gap) to Coleman River through Charlie's Creek for 4 wheel only. If the weather is wet, 4 wheel for entire trip might be the smart option.

Eric Neal

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Atlanta, GA
Member #

Right now we will do from Burrells Ford to Dillard which is all vehicle and then from Dillard (Betty Creek/Patterson Gap) to Coleman River through Charlie's Creek for 4 wheel only. If the weather is wet, 4 wheel for entire trip might be the smart option.
Then is Burrell's Ford the meet up point? If so I've been there a couple of times so can easily meet you guys up there.

WillRunner

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loganville, GA
Member #

Hi Guys, we've made it back to Atlanta from our trip. Feels so strange to be driving in our home town after just over a month on the road especially with most of that in the desert.

I'll try to review pics, limit the number and draft a brief report of the entire trip in a few days... still trying to unpack!!
Glad you made it back safe!