Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
So who fancies a North Coast 500 Winter Trip seeing in the New Year and hopefully the Northern Lights.
We will be ending 2019 and starting 2020 the way it should be on an epic road trip.

This is Scotlands answer to the Route 66 only better. For those that have tackled the route in summer with stunning views and amazing drives in winter daylight will be short and nights long but the winter scenery will be inspiring with hopefully many opportunities to catch the Northern Lights.

This trip is open to anyone brave enough to tackle the route in winter with opportunities to jump in and out as needed if you do not have the time to complete the whole route.

Be under no illusions the North West of Scotland is remote with Durness on the same latitude as Stavanger in Norway so this is a much bigger undertaking than a summer trip.

Whilst advance planning for the trip can be completed local weather can have a huge affect on route choices with snow often closing roads and higher roads closed due to ice.

Most facilities and campsites will be closed.

Meeting point is a car park below Kessock Bridge that as per Park4night allows overnight parking - no facilities

View Rally Point

professorpool

Local Expert West Europe
Launch Member

Traveler III

Woking, England
First Name
Nik
Last Name
Hammond
Member #

Evening all!

Is anyone else taking children? Josh will be coming with us (11)

Are any of the campsites open at all?

Thinking showers and other supplies..

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Evening all!

Is anyone else taking children? Josh will be coming with us (11)

Are any of the campsites open at all?

Thinking showers and other supplies..
Hi Nik,
I know some are bringing wives and dogs. Not sure on children.
There are a number of sites all the way round open throughout the winter.
I'm putting together options for sites and a few wild camps so people have options subject to needs / requirements but as with anything wild camps are difficult in Scotland especially the more numbers you have.
Will put something up shortly with more detail.

professorpool

Local Expert West Europe
Launch Member

Traveler III

Woking, England
First Name
Nik
Last Name
Hammond
Member #

Campsites and facilities will go down well with our party :)

(I'm less needy and more than happy to shower around the trailer - it's the 'leader of the opposition' where the problem lies)

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Route Details here:-

Notes.
Camp Sites - Please ensure you book camp sites in advance where applicable.
Weather - This is the height of winter and we will be travelling remote roads with minimal traffic if any at this time of year. We will monitor weather forecasts where ever possible but be prepared for the weather conditions which can and will change quickly and without warning resulting in slower progress and even route changes.
Communication - Mobile phone coverage will be patchy at best so plan accordingly. If you have a CB Radio then please bring it along as this will assist day to day progress on the road.
Fuel - Petrol Stations will be limited after John O Groats until we get much further south so be prepared and fill up at every opportunity.
Heating - We will be bringing our frontier stove to heat the awning. Bring enough wood with you to see you through.

Contributor I

London
First Name
Panagiotis
Last Name
Makris
Hello Team!

I will be doing this route alone at that time, please keep your eyes open for me and Pegasus (my truck) and I hope I will see you all there
Looking forward to seeing you all!

Reactions: Polaris Overland

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Hello Team!

I will be doing this route alone at that time, please keep your eyes open for me and Pegasus (my truck) and I hope I will see you all there
Looking forward to seeing you all!
Feel free to join us for a night or so, it would be good to meet

Reactions: Triton Freediver

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Thank you! I will do my best to find you guys!

After the NC500 ill be going to Scapa Flow for some freediving in the wrecks there, you are all most welcomed to follow on this adventure
Thanks I’m not a free diver but I am a padi master scuba diver and instructor and I have tech certs but not for teaching.

Reactions: Triton Freediver

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Ok folks a lot of you have shown interest in joining in on this trip so please all those attending can you give me details where and when.
Our plan is to do the base route as listed, with possible changes subject to weather and road conditions and stop off to visit the likes of Smoo Cave etc.
Everyone is welcome to dip in and out of the trip as they need and the whole trip is informal to allow flexibility to encourage maximum participation.

Reactions: caspoint220

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Friday the 3rd - who is camping at the Ardtower Camp Site. This is the final night of the trip.
Officially the site closes the 3rd but I have arranged access to camp 3rd leaving Sat 4th before the site closes until March 31st.
I need numbers please as I need to do this as a block booking!

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Some info on each days route.
Expect changes due to weather and road conditions.

Attachments