North Carolina

• HTML tutorial

whiskeytacos

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler I

Member #

Hey there. I'll be in Uhwarrie National Forest for a little time in the OHV park and camping on Tuesday. Anyone know of the conditions recently?

GoHeels

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wilmington NC
Member #

I just seen on their facebook, page they were doing trail classes for beginners so I imagine good. But there has been a lot of rain lately. I bet you could call, or Facebook message them.

Reactions: whiskeytacos

Marine7

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Wilmington NC
Member #

Wilmington NC...... I lived up near URE for about 6 years, there isn't s trail up there that can't be done with a stock vehicle. I ran my yj, xj and zj up there, all had open diffs, and only the yj was lifted. It's all in your line choice, and how well you know your vehicle. I do miss camping up there though..... Wilmington doesn't offer any real wheelin'. Beaches, but heck I've seen 2wd vehicles out there as long as they air down to about 5-6# in their tired.
Anyone know if you can wheel and camp in the Croatan (sp?) National Forest?

GoHeels

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wilmington NC
Member #

Good to see another Wilmington guy on here. :-)
And yes you can around catfish lake, Near New Bern, but they did away with a lot of the wheeling trails, mostly dirt roads.

JOSX2

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Mebane, NC
Member #

Wilmington NC...... I lived up near URE for about 6 years, there isn't s trail up there that can't be done with a stock vehicle. I ran my yj, xj and zj up there, all had open diffs, and only the yj was lifted. It's all in your line choice, and how well you know your vehicle. I do miss camping up there though..... Wilmington doesn't offer any real wheelin'. Beaches, but heck I've seen 2wd vehicles out there as long as they air down to about 5-6# in their tired.
Dickey Bell is no longer stock friendly. I wheeled it just with a 2" lift and skids 5 yrs ago without too much hassle. But as now...forget it. Its more/less a jagged rock garden getting up there. I'm at about 2.5" now, with skids still, and they've taken some good whacks now.

Zombie Crawler

Rank II

Traveler III

Mesa, AZ
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Gutters
Member #

Hey guys is there anywhere close to Burlington to go wheeling beside ure? Want to take my kids out for a day but can't make it out for the whole weekend yet

JOSX2

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Mebane, NC
Member #

Not that I'm aware of. But you can do a day trip to ure, doesn't have to be a whole weekend. It's only about 1 hr 15 mins from ya, so totally doable. I'm going Saturday with a group for the day

Marine7

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Wilmington NC
Member #

Zombie Crawler- not sure if you ever made URE or not, but all you have to do is stop in at the ElDorado Outpost on 109, and they sell day passes, yearly passes, and all kinds of shirts, stickers, groceries, camping supplies, and vehicle supplies! Very neat place, your kids (and you) will have a blast checking out all the rigs! It's the biggest staging area around, and you see some VERY hi-dollar rigs! Check it out.... You won't be sorry! Pack a picnic, and you can eat out at Baden Lake. Which.... To me... Is the most beautiful lake I've ever seen. We camp out on the islands!

Reactions: Zombie Crawler

Zombie Crawler

Rank II

Traveler III

Mesa, AZ
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Gutters
Member #

Sadly no, my rig's engine blew and have to rebuild it. I lack the space and equipment to do so. So until I do I'm stuck finding alternative methods of overlanding.

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

Not from NC but almost move to the Raleigh Durham area back in 2008. My sister's live in Maryland and we looked at homes while we visited NC Apex and Cary. That is beautiful area loved my time there. Humidity was rough though lol

Brian H

Rank 0

Contributor I

Have you checked out Freeman Park at Carolina Beach?

Marine7

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Wilmington NC
Member #

Have you checked out Freeman Park at Carolina Beach?
Sorry for the slow response... my phone was "wiped out"!
Yea, we used to go to Freeman Park, but EVER since they started the reservation deal we've headed to the "south end" by Ft Fisher. I buy an annual pass ($50) to the south end a lot cheaper than Freeman Park offers.($100?).... and you have a little (not much) more scenery selection. Lol

Rodneyrdm

Rank 0

Contributor I

North Carolina
First Name
Rodney
Last Name
ABCDEF
Member #

I'm from charlotte. Grew up in albemarle right down the street from URE. Not big on taking my truck there. They tend to take a real beating when I do. But do take my atv there alot. Also have a beach house in Carolina beach. Went to UNCW. I remember when Freeman park was free. Now it's crazy expensive. First post on this forum. Where does everyone like to wheel around the Charlotte area other tan URE. I drive a 2016 quicksand tacoma with camper shell, roof top tent, awning, lift etc etc. If you see me around say hello

Ingle939

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Plant city Fl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4AYU
I'm in kings mountain nc glad to see there a few from nc I've got a 2013 F150 custom rear rack with cvt rtt and awning spend most of my time in the mountains but thinking about doing a coastal trip in the spring what's the best spots to hit