Rank IV

Advocate III

Sacramento, CA, USA
First Name
Glen &
Last Name
Alicia
Member #

Hi @Speric and everyone~ We wanted to find out about the Trail Rating 5.... having a new jeep we wanted to try not to damage it ........ yet lol
Will the trails be tight?
Will there be water crossings? We don't have a lift.
Do we need rock sliders?
Thanks!

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
Hi @Speric and everyone~ We wanted to find out about the Trail Rating 5.... having a new jeep we wanted to try not to damage it ........ yet lol
Will the trails be tight?
Will there be water crossings? We don't have a lift.
Do we need rock sliders?
Thanks!
Your truck will be fine. There is a little water crossing, but you won’t need it lifted.

I don’t think there will be anything really tight but some of this will be new to me, so I don’t know what it will all look like.

Your OEM sliders will be fine. I don’t anticipate sliders being used/needed.

Reactions: TAHOOOO

TAHOOOO

Rank IV

Advocate III

Sacramento, CA, USA
First Name
Glen &
Last Name
Alicia
Member #

Your truck will be fine. There is a little water crossing, but you won’t need it lifted.

I don’t think there will be anything really tight but some of this will be new to me, so I don’t know what it will all look like.

Your OEM sliders will be fine. I don’t anticipate sliders being used/needed.
Thanks

Reactions: Speric

fly boy

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marin County
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Mazzon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BIF
Do you have a PDF file of the trip details?

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
Do you have a PDF file of the trip details?
I do have the .gpx file in the Rally Point. I'm hoping to get to Thistle Glade before dark, or at least to Bear(not Beer, tho once there a beer would be good) Creek.

I also updated where we are meeting if starting from Santa Rosa. I also put the start time at noon because I most likely will have to do some work before I can go.

If you are coming from the valley, or not meeting in Santa Rosa. We will meet at the Pomo Pumps near Upper Lake to fuel up before heading in. Meet there around 1:30.

Last edited:

FirenzeForza4x4

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Napa Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Apal
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SNX
Bummed to miss another one. But I guess my kid deserves a birthday party with friends instead of Mendo camping :grinning:
Thanks for the gpx though. Hope to explore another time and look forward to hearing about it. And since no one has said it yet @TAHOOOO , always be prepared for pinstriping! It's just part of the game. ;)

TAHOOOO

Rank IV

Advocate III

Sacramento, CA, USA
First Name
Glen &
Last Name
Alicia
Member #

Bummed to miss another one. But I guess my kid deserves a birthday party with friends instead of Mendo camping :grinning:
Thanks for the gpx though. Hope to explore another time and look forward to hearing about it. And since no one has said it yet @TAHOOOO , always be prepared for pinstriping! It's just part of the game. ;)
Thanks for the callout regarding pinstriping .. are the Mendocino trails especially narrow or overgrown or is it just the occassional branch and bush that you have to watch out for?

FirenzeForza4x4

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Napa Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Apal
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SNX
Thanks for the callout regarding pinstriping .. are the Mendocino trails especially narrow or overgrown or is it just the occassional branch and bush that you have to watch out for?
I've been up there a few times but I definitely defer to @Speric. My experience was definitely more the occasional branch/limb/bush etc. I totally am not chiming in to sound like a downer, just that if you're running a brand new rig, to not let the pinstriping and possible rim rash deter you! I know the feeling well. I took perfect clear coat and pristine rims 300 miles across the Mojave, and 300 miles later I no longer have to answer people when they ask "do you even take that off road?"

TAHOOOO

Rank IV

Advocate III

Sacramento, CA, USA
First Name
Glen &
Last Name
Alicia
Member #

I've been up there a few times but I definitely defer to @Speric. My experience was definitely more the occasional branch/limb/bush etc. I totally am not chiming in to sound like a downer, just that if you're running a brand new rig, to not let the pinstriping and possible rim rash deter you! I know the feeling well. I took perfect clear coat and pristine rims 300 miles across the Mojave, and 300 miles later I no longer have to answer people when they ask "do you even take that off road?"
Got it .. rig is only 4 months old and already done the Mojave road with @Speric and survived with only one long pinstripe .. I know some trails are much tighter and guaranteed to make a mess of the paint. Since this is my daily driver, I am trying to make it at least through the first year before it becomes a dedicated trail rig .. ha

@Speric let me know what you think about the Mendocino trails you have planned...

Thanks for the help.

Reactions: FirenzeForza4x4

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
Got it .. rig is only 4 months old and already done the Mojave road with @Speric and survived with only one long pinstripe .. I know some trails are much tighter and guaranteed to make a mess of the paint. Since this is my daily driver, I am trying to make it at least through the first year before it becomes a dedicated trail rig .. ha

@Speric let me know what you think about the Mendocino trails you have planned...

Thanks for the help.
I think most of it will be pretty wide tracks. There is a section that will be new to me too, so I can't say what they're like. Most of the trails up there aren't too tight, it's just that the branches that do stick out don't usually bend because they are dead brush from past fires. But yeah, loppers and chainsaw are good to bring along.

TAHOOOO

Rank IV

Advocate III

Sacramento, CA, USA
First Name
Glen &
Last Name
Alicia
Member #

Thanks for the help.
I think most of it will be pretty wide tracks. There is a section that will be new to me too, so I can't say what they're like. Most of the trails up there aren't too tight, it's just that the branches that do stick out don't usually bend because they are dead brush from past fires. But yeah, loppers and chainsaw are good to bring along.
Sounds good .. I will have some tools.
Appreciate the guidance.

Looking forward to the trip.

fly boy

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marin County
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Mazzon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BIF
I always bring branch clearing gear. Was up on a trail your not hitting on this run, and was looking at a low lying tree on the trail and wham hit a sucker branch the FS had lying on the side of the trail. Should be pretty cold up that way now. Looks like Hull Mtn. might get some snow.

Reactions: Ken M

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
I always bring branch clearing gear. Was up on a trail your not hitting on this run, and was looking at a low lying tree on the trail and wham hit a sucker branch the FS had lying on the side of the trail. Should be pretty cold up that way now. Looks like Hull Mtn. might get some snow.
Branch clearing gear is essential up there with all the deadfall.

Looking at the forecast, there might be snow up there.

Reactions: Ken M

Nomad326

Rank III

Enthusiast I

San Jose, Santa Clara County, California, United States
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Wolpert
Member #

I'm stuck in the office until around 1pm on Friday, unfortunately. This means I can get to the HWY 20 start point by about 5PM. Do you know where the first stop point will be? I can try to meet up with you all in the mid-late evening.

The route looks good and I don't want to miss it!

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
I'm stuck in the office until around 1pm on Friday, unfortunately. This means I can get to the HWY 20 start point by about 5PM. Do you know where the first stop point will be? I can try to meet up with you all in the mid-late evening.

The route looks good and I don't want to miss it!
I think we will be stopping and camping at Bear Creek Campground. It's just off the route posted. Keep heading east passed the M3 turnoff. So you can meet us there. I'll have an OB flag up at our site., though I bet we'll be one of the only folks out there.

Reactions: Nomad326 and Ken M