Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
I'm hoping to have another meet-up some time in August. With the recent local spike in Covid, it might be best to put another meet-up off till then. I don't think having a group of 30+ people, mostly strangers, all gathering in one place is a good idea at the moment.

Reactions: mkklein #18828

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
Just joined but not in time to attend this. Hopefully you will do again. Looking forward to meeting some of you and learning more.
Welcome! We had a couple of folks from Napa come out to this event. Would be great to see you at the next one.

Reactions: Jmisslyn

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
I think a trip would be a great jumpstart to start a meet up! I am the Bay Area member rep which basically means I get paid nothing to help people start meet ups and help get new members to them! Haha

So with that said, any help you need please let me know and I can arrange meet supplies or help with rally point details. Mendocino is a great destination, Usal as well, both are good winter destinations. Reach out to me if you need anything.

Alan_Hepburn

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Jose, Ca USA
First Name
Alan
Last Name
Hepburn
I've been looking at the Trails Offroad website for some local trails to try, and we're kind of interested in doing some 1-day trips to maybe Walker Ridge Road near Williams, or Old Toll Road to Highland Springs, or Knoxville-Devilhead Road - those look to be pretty tame so those of us who are total newbies won't get into too much trouble. They would definitely be a long day, counting driving from San Jose and back! We'd be open to finding a decent RV park in the area to use as a base camp and do side trips for a day or two but we're not interested in "primitive" camping anymore! Anyway, if anybody wants to set something up like that we'd take a look!

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Usal Beach is a great destination in the winter. Less people, it’s about a 20-30 minute dirt forest road in that’s easy, and camping near the ocean. It is primitive though, but lots of flat space and comfortable. I went 3 weeks ago during a storm so no one was there. :)

Avenue of the Giants is about an hour north and a fun place to tour the towering redwoods. 4494DB2D-55B7-4FF3-BE63-4C721499197A.jpeg170EE969-700F-47BF-A7DF-58F354A693CA.jpeg293378A1-296F-4F15-B236-E795B7A07052.jpegEB8714EC-A638-4D34-A6A7-BC0D2C943A5B.jpeg

mkklein #18828

Rank IV
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Napa, CA, USA
First Name
marty
Last Name
klein
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KAØSON
Most of Mendocino National Forest was burned during the fires this year. Here is a trip we did just before the fires started. The shaded red area was the burn zone.

Attachments

King

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Bay Area, CA, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Dolcourt
Member #

Any recommendations of open winter trails within tahoe, elderado, plumas, Yosemite, or Mendocino national forests? I keep coming across closed trails.

Reactions: PapaDave

Alan_Hepburn

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Jose, Ca USA
First Name
Alan
Last Name
Hepburn
I went back in June. It was amazing out there, perfect BLM land although I had heard that the fires reached a part of it so I dont know how "scenic" it would be now.
We're thinking late spring/early summer to give it a try - we're planning on taking our motorhome up to the Russian River Thousand Trails resort and using that as a base camp. Then we can spend a few days running around on the three trails I mentioned earlier. I guess I need to learn how to use that Gaia mapping thing!

nonroader

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Capay Valley, California, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Ames
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HAM: W6JAA / GMRS: WRKV268
I've been looking at the Trails Offroad website for some local trails to try, and we're kind of interested in doing some 1-day trips to maybe Walker Ridge Road near Williams, or Old Toll Road to Highland Springs, or Knoxville-Devilhead Road - those look to be pretty tame so those of us who are total newbies won't get into too much trouble. They would definitely be a long day, counting driving from San Jose and back! We'd be open to finding a decent RV park in the area to use as a base camp and do side trips for a day or two but we're not interested in "primitive" camping anymore! Anyway, if anybody wants to set something up like that we'd take a look!
I would love to explore Walker Ridge. I’ve driven past so many times and wanted to see where it goes... always in the work truck though.

nonroader

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Capay Valley, California, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Ames
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HAM: W6JAA / GMRS: WRKV268
Most of Mendocino National Forest was burned during the fires this year. Here is a trip we did just before the fires started. The shaded red area was the burn zone.

The King Range went pretty much untouched by fire. I drove from Eureka down to Shelter Cove, short but fun trip.