Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Very few of our local group has HAM, we always use GMRS
I've got one of those Baofeng radios a guy recommended from an ID Overland Bound group I went out with a few times. Works great and there is a conversion table for all the FRS/GMRS channels so just tune the radio to one of those frequencies.

Iridium

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert CO: Ft. Collins Area

Influencer III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Aleem
Last Name
Qureshi
Member #

How many of you guys have HAM licenses? I'm looking to get a mobile radio for my truck (and an HT or two to supplement, and ditch the UV-5R I currently have), but want to get something that's consistent with everyone else, especially if most people are using digital. APRS.fi has mostly Yaesu units along the front range, with a few Kenwoods as well.
I currently just have gmrs but plan on getting a ham license this summer and getting an on board system over a handheld for the range, just got to be careful to space out purchases for the wife's sake

• Haha
Reactions: SS308

Iridium

Influencer III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Aleem
Last Name
Qureshi
Member #

welcome Connor! Next time you are planning to head out if you are looking for company post it here first I’m sure someone will join you!
I posted in the regional section for a short day trip I'd like to do on Saturday, May 29.
Something I'd likely be interested in depending on whether I get that Monday off from work, have been considering a longer distance trip time and suspension permitting. Should hopefully have everything delivered minus the rear shocks come end of May.

Enthusiast I

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Connor
Last Name
Reddington
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0UMC
I currently just have gmrs but plan on getting a ham license this summer and getting an on board system over a handheld for the range, just got to be careful to space out purchases for the wife's sake
I really like the security of being able to hit a repeater in the back country. Granted, not the same coverage as a SPOT or InReach.

Plus, the technical side of things is sort of fun too.

Reactions: SS308

Enthusiast I

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Connor
Last Name
Reddington
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0UMC
I've got one of those Baofeng radios a guy recommended from an ID Overland Bound group I went out with a few times. Works great and there is a conversion table for all the FRS/GMRS channels so just tune the radio to one of those frequencies.

Yeah, I have a few of the Baofengs as well. They’re phenomenal radios for what they are. Unfortunately the “new” ones don’t transmit on HAM channels, only GMRS/FRS. I say “new” because the UV-5R I bought in 2018 accesses the 2m and 70cm bands, but the exact same radio I bought this year has those channels blocked out. So even if you’re licensed, you can’t access the HAM channels. :(

Iridium

Influencer III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Aleem
Last Name
Qureshi
Member #

If any one is interested a group of us are getting together to to run bunce school road and potentially ironclads trail as well. Pm me if you are interested we will be meeting at the bunce school road trail head at 9a.

wishihada4runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

If any one is interested a group of us are getting together to to run bunce school road and potentially ironclads trail as well. Pm me if you are interested we will be meeting at the bunce school road trail head at 9a.
What time do you expect to finish and what is the difficulty rating on this?

Iridium

Influencer III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Aleem
Last Name
Qureshi
Member #

What time do you expect to finish and what is the difficulty rating on this?
Bunce is rate a 2-4 out of 10 from trails off-road for the most part the trail is pretty tame and should be manageable, the seasonal gate is still closed so the more difficiult portion of the tracks are currently closed off. Hence we will be going out and back on this trail, i know there is some standing water but at this point I am unsure of how deep it might be but in the dry it was a non issue.

IronClads is a bit more difficult of a trail and requires a bit of suspension travel but not overly difficult that said I'm not certain how AWD would perform on it. The higher rating of 6 is due to optional lines that you can take on the trail if you want but are not necessary.
ttps://www.trailsoffroad.com/trails/340-ironclads

If my time estimate is correct we are likely looking at 3ish hours for running the trail.

Enthusiast I

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Connor
Last Name
Reddington
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0UMC
How was it? Enough rain to get the trails muddy?

Iridium

Influencer III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Aleem
Last Name
Qureshi
Member #

How was it? Enough rain to get the trails muddy?
It wasnt too muddy, alot of big puddles and was a fair bit more rutted out than it was last year, however I did find out that it looks like they may be banning UTV rentals from that area so it should be better taken care of here on out. There were still quite a few large slabs of ice and snow on the southern 1/3rd of the trail which were kinda sketchy but otherwise I though it was pretty good

I'll post up a video from the trail today later on, once i've had a chance to review and edit the footage

Iridium

Influencer III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Aleem
Last Name
Qureshi
Member #

Hey everyone looks like everything minus my rear shocks are going to be in this week so I'll be doing the install on Saturday likely most of the day. If your interested in joining and hanging out on me and I'll send you details.

Going to be installing: UCA, front shocks, rear leaf packs, ubolt flip kit and some sensor skids. Come hang out have a few drinks and hopefully get to meet some fellow ob members from around the area.

Dr Gil

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Gil
Last Name
Kajiki
Hello Everyone, my name is Gil.
I've been keeping an eye out for a post like this. I'm currently in So Cal but will be moving to Fort Collins in October this year. Looking forward to connecting with Overlanders in beautiful Colorado. I have a rental house in Fort Collins and will be looking for a permanent residence in FC.

I have 96 Land Cruiser, pretty equipped out for camping and overlanding. Don't do rock crawling unless I have to, to get to my destination. Can't wait to get there and do some dispersed camping next to a quiet creek and do some fly fishing.

278B4A3C-7610-4583-96B5-AFEEF6896745_1_105_c.jpeg

Iridium

Influencer III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Aleem
Last Name
Qureshi
Member #

Hello Everyone, my name is Gil.
I've been keeping an eye out for a post like this. I'm currently in So Cal but will be moving to Fort Collins in October this year. Looking forward to connecting with Overlanders in beautiful Colorado. I have a rental house in Fort Collins and will be looking for a permanent residence in FC.

I have 96 Land Cruiser, pretty equipped out for camping and overlanding. Don't do rock crawling unless I have to, to get to my destination. Can't wait to get there and do some dispersed camping next to a quiet creek and do some fly fishing.

View attachment 198723
Welcome Gil! It'll be good to meet you when you get here in October!

Reactions: Dr Gil

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

We might go out again this weekend, if anyone wants to join us keep an eye on here and also if you have any suggestion on what we could run please post below!

Reactions: Iridium

Christopher J. Kiraly

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Kiraly
Member #

Hey Folks!

Another NoCo guy here! I am in the process of building my rig, and I’m one of the crazy types with a lifted Subaru. I’d love to meet up, get to know some folks around here (we just moved up here last October) and run some trails!

Iridium

Influencer III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Aleem
Last Name
Qureshi
Member #

Hey Folks!

Another NoCo guy here! I am in the process of building my rig, and I’m one of the crazy types with a lifted Subaru. I’d love to meet up, get to know some folks around here (we just moved up here last October) and run some trails!

Welcome Christopher ! I'm actually looking at planning something pretty tame out this way near Gould possibly for this weekend and will post a rally point soon, just difficult finding which trails are actually open since the fs isn't updating as quickly as we'd like.

Ldstruckn

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Ivins, Utah, United States
First Name
joseph
Last Name
johnson
Member #

Service Branch
US ARMY
I am joe. We live in timnath. I usually just go out with the family but recently retired so i am more open to trips and garage parties now. I may take the xterra up to bunce tomorrow to flex it out a bit if anyone wants to tag along. Trail rig is an xterra. Daily is a blue raptor. I am an introvert so y’all will have to say hi if you see me around

Attachments

Iridium

Influencer III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Aleem
Last Name
Qureshi
Member #

I am joe. We live in timnath. I usually just go out with the family but recently retired so i am more open to trips and garage parties now. I may take the xterra up to bunce tomorrow to flex it out a bit if anyone wants to tag along. Trail rig is an xterra. Daily is a blue raptor. I am an introvert so y’all will have to say hi if you see me around
Nice to meet you joe, hopefully we see you out on trail sometime soon or at one of the larger rally points.

If anyone is interested Im thinking about putting together a rp to head out to Colorado state forest state park hit a few trails around there hike and maybe do a couple off teller divide. If there's interest I'll create an to y'all are welcome to meet up at my house and head out on 14 together or meet up at the state forest if youd prefer haven't nailed down timing yet just know I have to be home in time for dinner plans

SS308

Rank V

Advocate I

Cheyenne, WY, USA
First Name
Randy
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF7QFH
Service Branch
USMC
Hey, NoCo Overlanders!

My name is Aleem and my wife, Danielle, and I have been members of Overland Bound since March of 2020. For our first overlanding season we spent most of our time with a group of members located mostly in the southern part of Colorado, even though we actually live in Fort Collins. I understand there are a fair number of OB members in NoCo who might be interested in meeting up to organize trips, so I decided to start a thread to make it easier to make plans and become familiar with each other's skill levels.

I currently drive a 2020 Tacoma which is mostly stock (sliders, full skids, 265/75/r16 bfg ko2, RSI Smartcap) with suspension lift and more armor planned (hopefully coming soon). I'm still getting more comfortable with rock crawling, but am relatively comfortable on most trails 5-6/10 difficulty rating.

I look forward to meeting y'all hopefully in the near future. Please share more about yourselves so we can get to know eachother better before we meet up in person.

Cheers.

Aleem, my name is Randy and I live in Cheyenne. I'd be interested in doing some trips with you.

SS308

Rank V

Advocate I

Cheyenne, WY, USA
First Name
Randy
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF7QFH
Service Branch
USMC
Hi Joe! It should be the other way around, you should be taking the Raptor out...lol!
I have a Gen 1 Raptor that I'm setting up for overlanding.