louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I looked at them early on in my search for a trailer, I ultimately discounted them as an option due to construction (who,what,where),
you dodged a bullet.
brother-in-law bought an R-pod (same manufacturer...forest river) and just after a year, his wife was making up the bed and leaned on the front wall and went thru it. come to find out, there was a leak that wasnt seen and it rotted out the furring strip framing members and the 1/8" luan they use in lieu of actual plywood. warranty is out, of course, and so he rebuilt it. now he's looking at doing a cargo trailer conversion like i ended up doing

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

you dodged a bullet.
brother-in-law bought an R-pod (same manufacturer...forest river) and just after a year, his wife was making up the bed and leaned on the front wall and went thru it. come to find out, there was a leak that wasnt seen and it rotted out the furring strip framing members and the 1/8" luan they use in lieu of actual plywood. warranty is out, of course, and so he rebuilt it. now he's looking at doing a cargo trailer conversion like i ended up doing
I knew that glue and staples weren't going to cut it, and I wanted as little organic material in it as possible.

I see a ton of the R Pods and NoBo trailers on the road, I'm sure they are adequate for their intended use and projected life span. I'm also sure I don't want one.

I'm detail oriented which is a bane at times, mass produced travel trailers are not something for the detail oriented. When I have the details on my trailer corrected I am going to send the itemized list with receipts to the seller. They can reimburse me or not, their choice at their own risk.

Reactions: grubworm

MuckSavage

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

South Jersey, NJ, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
McG
Member #

I looked at the Forest River Product but as everyone said, the build quality is junk. To be fair, I've owned Jayco & Coleman pop-ups & 3 motorhomes by Jayco, Tiffin & Thor. The quality isn't great in any of them. Last year I purchased an intech Flyer Explorer & I'm quite happy with it.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I looked at the Forest River Product but as everyone said, the build quality is junk. To be fair, I've owned Jayco & Coleman pop-ups & 3 motorhomes by Jayco, Tiffin & Thor. The quality isn't great in any of them. Last year I purchased an intech Flyer Explorer & I'm quite happy with it.
Intech makes a great product with an aluminum frame but of course they cost a lot more. I think that's the problem, I lot of people find hard to spend the money required for the better built stuff out there since it's something they only use a few times out of the year.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
A few years ago, the NoBo and R pod trailers were all over my area. The dealers were pushing them as "Off Road" trailers. I could tell the fit and finish wasn't up to my version of an Off Road trailer. In my shop we dealt with motor homes and sometimes trailers. Some of these dated into the 70's. I was appalled how poorly they were built and would see the results of this at my Off Road events. Two miles of somewhat graded dirt road and these motor homes and trailers fell apart.

This is why I also went down the path of building my own. If I got a NoBo cheap enough, I could make it something nice like you did.
Looks like you now have a good trailer.

Reactions: Mekcanix

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

You've done much of the cosmetic work, nw it's time together under and beef the frame points. Several FR forums out there on Mods done to the frame/axle. Cracked frames at suspension mounts, outside walls sagging to mention a couple of the biggies. Mods are out there and I suggest researching them.

You've done a lot so far, don't stop now.. It will be worth it in the end. When done with this one you'll have the knowledge to build your next 'forever' rig.

Reactions: Mekcanix

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

I have a Forest River product too, a Coachmen Clipper Express 9.0td, and I use it in the exact same way as Grubworm ... get us and our "stuff" to a campground and use it as a base camp to go exploring from. The frames are light duty but not bad and there's a lot you can do to beef them up, and I have. The bodies are a different matter. I've built and modified trailers and have built several cars for off road racing. I enjoy fabrication and restoration, am well equipped and have been doing it for decades ... and I'm OLD.

A lot comes down to what's right at any particular time and what alternatives you have. For many of us our spouse's priorities and preferences enter in to the equation. Mine does not have the patience I do when it comes to building things and I'm not surprised by that. I prepared many sketches, material lists, etc. for a tear drop build and my wife showed little interest in the project for the simple fact that she wouldn't be able to stand up in it. The Clipper solved that problem and my thinking was/is that if we liked it I could build a much more rugged duplicate and still have the original to use in the meantime.

If you guys want a bit of a laugh, go on the Forest River Forums. Ours is a different world to many of theirs, and again, fair enough. I started up with a general interest because I have one of their products and found some of these guys even argue over their pick-up trucks. They don't seem to like Jeeps Gladiators btw. Anyone Towing with a Gladiator? - Forest River Forums
We're well into the 4th year of using our Forest River based trailer. If anything, it's a lot wimpier than the NoBo and similar trailers because it's a pop up. I call it a "tear pop". Internally the side to side bulk head structure goes back to the foot of the bed and then is taken over by the cabinetry. That's OK but not great. There is no end to end roof for a box like structure. I've reinforced the frame from side to side and done some triangulation and in some areas from end to end but it is still NOT and NEVER WILL BE a good off road trailer.. I've taken it down many gravel and dirt roads and off road trails and it has held up well. I don't abuse it though.

It came with things we didn't need. I removed the fridge and AC (-72 lbs.) and the heater is next. I get it that they are good to have in some geographic areas and no doubt they are good for marketing. My wife ate that stuff up while I knew I'd be able to convince her that they were useless and the added space would be better.

Overall we're happy with it. In my original post above I said I might use it as a template for a more rugged build but unless it falls apart I don't see that happening.

This is what it looked like when I picked it up and then about a year ago. I've done more to it since then and, like many things it will never be done ... which is a good thing.

19-04-08 1.JPG20-08-12 2a.jpg

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
We're well into the 4th year of using our Forest River based trailer. If anything, it's a lot wimpier than the NoBo and similar trailers because it's a pop up. I call it a "tear pop". Internally the side to side bulk head structure goes back to the foot of the bed and then is taken over by the cabinetry. That's OK but not great. There is no end to end roof for a box like structure. I've reinforced the frame from side to side and done some triangulation and in some areas from end to end but it is still NOT and NEVER WILL BE a good off road trailer.. I've taken it down many gravel and dirt roads and off road trails and it has held up well. I don't abuse it though.

It came with things we didn't need. I removed the fridge and AC (-72 lbs.) and the heater is next. I get it that they are good to have in some geographic areas and no doubt they are good for marketing. My wife ate that stuff up while I knew I'd be able to convince her that they were useless and the added space would be better.

Overall we're happy with it. In my original post above I said I might use it as a template for a more rugged build but unless it falls apart I don't see that happening.

This is what it looked like when I picked it up and then about a year ago. I've done more to it since then and, like many things it will never be done ... which is a good thing.

View attachment 237224View attachment 237225
that's a bad-ass camper! i liked our no-bo for the most part and after a couple years of it, i was thinking about removing the rooftop ac and making it a pop-up like yours. just having the room to stand up in the rear and change clothes would be pretty nice. i have to lay down and put on my pants...gets old after a while.
we have the slide out galley up front and it also has our dometic fridge on the slide. i do like that feature.
show some interior pics...i'm digging it

Reactions: PCO6

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

that's a bad-ass camper! i liked our no-bo for the most part and after a couple years of it, i was thinking about removing the rooftop ac and making it a pop-up like yours. just having the room to stand up in the rear and change clothes would be pretty nice. i have to lay down and put on my pants...gets old after a while.
we have the slide out galley up front and it also has our dometic fridge on the slide. i do like that feature.
show some interior pics...i'm digging it
With 7' head room at the rear end, I could put my wife on my shoulders and we could do do all kinds of "bad ass" crazy things in there! :laughing: If only we were younger. Changing inside was the main thing for her and this works really well. What we bought it for though was to haul kayaks. I built racks for it and with the lid down they don't even touch it. There is no wear and tear on the lid at all.

This "her" trailer. I built an off road trailer for "me" and she won't go near it ... which is great. It has an RTT that's only 4' wide and is perfect for 1 not 2. I'm 70 and was concerned about climbing up to it even though it's only at half height and changing clothes inside but I have no problem with it. I like it! Using it for rougher trails and not the "tear pop" will extend the life of her trailer so that's a good thing.

I've totally revamped the rear end but this what it looked like when I first built the kayak rack. Part of it doubles as a stand for the external on demand water heater (mounted on the side) when not used as a rack.

19-06-26 9.JPG

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
With 7' head room at the rear end, I could put my wife on my shoulders and we could do do all kinds of "bad ass" crazy things in there! :laughing: If only we were younger. Changing inside was the main thing for her and this works really well. What we bought it for though was to haul kayaks. I built racks for it and with the lid down they don't even touch it. There is no wear and tear on the lid at all.

This "her" trailer. I built an off road trailer for "me" and she won't go near it ... which is great. It has an RTT that's only 4' wide and is perfect for 1 not 2. I'm 70 and was concerned about climbing up to it even though it's only at half height and changing clothes inside but I have no problem with it. I like it! Using it for rougher trails and not the "tear pop" will extend the life of her trailer so that's a good thing.

I've totally revamped the rear end but this what it looked like when I first built the kayak rack. Part of it doubles as a stand for the external on demand water heater (mounted on the side) when not used as a rack.

View attachment 237231
i really like your rig. about a month ago i was set on modifying mine and doing the pop-up, but then i saw where people are converting cargo trailers, so a couple weeks ago i bought a new cargo trailer to convert and once i get it finished, i'll just sell the no-bo

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

i really like your rig. about a month ago i was set on modifying mine and doing the pop-up, but then i saw where people are converting cargo trailers, so a couple weeks ago i bought a new cargo trailer to convert and once i get it finished, i'll just sell the no-bo

I've been following your cargo trailer build and really like the way you're headed. Nice design and great quality work! My only suggestion would be to put a couple of plastic port holes in the floor for ice fishing. :smile: That's what some guys up here do ... although probably not a big thing where you are ... ha ha.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I've been following your cargo trailer build and really like the way you're headed. Nice design and great quality work! My only suggestion would be to put a couple of plastic port holes in the floor for ice fishing. :smile: That's what some guys up here do ... although probably not a big thing where you are ... ha ha.
thanks!
i am going to put 2 of the access ports in the floor for a portable ac to exhaust out of and then close off when not in use...but yeah, definitely no ice down here.

1659831929872.png

Reactions: PCO6

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

That's a good idea. No AC needed up here and I think the port holes are about 12" dia. so you can haul in the whoppers in the winter and take a leak without missing in the summer! :smile:

RatAssassin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Wisconsin, USA
First Name
Rat
Last Name
Assassin
Member #

you dodged a bullet.
The wife and I like going to a big RV show every year. Even though we don't want one and are not in the ,market for one. It's just a day out. We like looking at what new tech and innovative layouts they incorporate into these rolling cardboard shacks.
Every year, new models, some neat features but the quality issues are ever apparent and never get better.
The R-pods amaze me. They market them as an ultra light alternative and one step inside, you see why. Place a hand on the walls and they sag and bend quite easily.
The same goes for most everything, but the R-pods seem to be very flimsy.

Now....think about a travel trailer. You need to drag this thing down the road with forces equal to an earthquake at hurricane wind speeds for hours, built by meth heads under a production quota.
1/8" masonite doesn't quite cut it.

I have a friend with a NoBo 10 footer. He said it will still shake itself apart, but he only has to maintain 10 feet of sheared screws and rattling cabinets he could fix as needed.
It's a pretty neat little trailer. A cheaper alternative to the premium priced tear drop market. But it will never come close to the custom built stuff.

Last edited:

Mekcanix

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
First Name
John
Last Name
McLaughlin
Member #

I will say I am no longer seeing the screws all over the floor when we arrive at camp like i did the first few years. All the reinforcements have paid off.
the most disappointing thing about our NoBo was the bathroom. and thats now been rectified. I actually did a full frame inspection, including where I put in my extra bits for strength and I must be lucky as there is no signs of cracks or fatigue.
For the record I travel with a full water tank. The last couple of years taught us to always have our water. This year alone we went to 3 camp grounds that had no water. One of the things I did was add a crossmember under the water tank. I bet it cost me a gallon or 2 of storage taking out the sag in the middle but I have no concerns about dropping the tank on the highway.
Eventually, I will probably upgrade the axle and suspension, probably when I sheet the underside with aluminum, in preparation for Alaska and Baja

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
One of the things I did was add a crossmember under the water tank.
yep! i filled the tank for the first time on ours and the bottom of the tank was almost dragging the ground...well, not quite that bad, but it had a serious bow and i just went and bought 2 ratchet straps and made an "X" across the bottom and cinched it up reasonable tight.

damn..i thought i was the only one with all these problems

Last edited:

Mekcanix

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
First Name
John
Last Name
McLaughlin
Member #

nope as I understand its a ongoing problem with the way the straps are set up to hold in the tanks. Interesting though, mine turn's out to be a T tank and is resting on 2 pieces of formed light gauge angle. I feel much better with the 1x3 tube I have down the middle underneath