Box Elder, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Was looking at a local camper store and saw a no boundaries 10ft adventure trailer. With a dometic cooler, rhino batwing awning, and what they are calling the no boundaries nest roof top tent. Does anyone have any experience with these are they utter junk or worth it. Thanks in advance.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I wouldn't call them durable. If you are off pavement and driving lots of washboard you will need to be watchful and handy. These are just average build quality built more for smooth roads.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
i bought the 10.6 last year and posted on here on a couple different threads about it. long story made short: i bought it new for $13K and after going thru a lot of hassle sending it back to forest river for warranty repairs that they only made worse, it boiled down to me making my own repairs on it and then adding mods and actually enjoying it pretty well now. the price is pretty good...i was going to build my own and after pricing the doors, windows, axle, tires, etc, i was WAY over $13K and that didn't include labor, so compared to everything else out there, its not a bad deal. it handles very well and i don't even know its back there pulling it with my tundra. a jeep could pull it easy. if you have any specific questions, just PM me and I'll be more than happy to tell you everything i know about it including some nice mods to make if you decide to get one

in the 2nd pic, we were at big bend over the christmas holidays and ran into another couple there who had a no-bo (OB members at that!) and they really liked theirs

20190701_133612.jpgIMG_4200.JPG

WrightRunner

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

MONUMENT RANCH PERRIS CA 92570
First Name
Douglas
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Was looking at a local camper store and saw a no boundaries 10ft adventure trailer. With a dometic cooler, rhino batwing awning, and what they are calling the no boundaries nest roof top tent. Does anyone have any experience with these are they utter junk or worth it. Thanks in advance.
I was looking into them about 2 years ago. They are not made to go off road at all. Just the off road look that's it!

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Thanks for the info I’m very on the fence about it.
i hear ya! you can search online and see consumer complaints and reviews on all the different RVs. the biggest problem i see is problems with plumbing, slide outs and roofs. of course the over all craftsmanship is pretty sad, but even the beloved airstream is now getting flak for shoddy workmanship, so that is pretty much plaguing the industry. the good thing about these small campers is that there isn't any slide outs and the plumbing is very minimal...basically a 30 gal tank with a pump and a hose feeding the outside qd hose connector. the roof is small and only has the penetration for the a/c unit and rhino rails.

i just bought a ARE camper shell for my tundra and outfitted it for travel/camping and easily got $6K invested in that, so that's half the price of the trailer for just a cap and interior build out. its like everything else...youre either going to spend money or time...or both! :grinning:

as far as "offroad"...hard to say. i've taken mine on some very bouncy dirt roads and it did fine. i've seen videos of the austrialian campers like this and they are going over small boulders and wash outs, etc. yeah...that's a $50-60K camp trailer compared to $13K, but 90% or better of places to go in the US are at least decent maintained roads, so i really don't need one that will go over boulders...if so, definitely look at a higher end unit

the majority of our camp trailer use is to set it up as a base camp, usually at a state park, and then go out exploring. if we find a nice hard to get to place, we go in truck and camp/sleep in the shell and return to base camp for a hot shower, etc. the really nice thing is that it has an a/c and sometimes in the summer it is just too hot even in a tent, so having something with a/c is really nice. we used to travel and get motel rooms, but that is about $150+ a night not including food, so any small camper like this can pay for itself pretty quick if you are using it versus motel rooms.

there is also a company called Runaway Camper and they are basically the same as the no-bo but really stripped down for around $5-6K. By time time you add a/c, slide out galley, dometic fridge, lights, solar, etc...you're probably around $11-13K, so its all pretty relative in this price range

Last edited:
Reactions: tireguy43

Earthbound Misfit

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Winchuck River, Harbor Oregon
First Name
Art
Last Name
Tarin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7AJT
I am enjoying my NoBo 10.6. I have had it out camping every month since September ‘19. Every trip has been off Hwy forest road dispersed camping.

As of now, I have not had any issues. The structure is holding strong. I can see where there are concerns as the material is light and in some places flimsy.. Being aware of the short comings, I keep an eye out for problems and plan on making repairs myself.

I air down the tires on trailer and truck for comfortable ride. I pull it with a Tacoma as shown in picture. The trailer body is as wide as the truck making visibility plentiful. The trailer tire foot foot print follow truck tracks.

I tell you, it is awesome to back up to a drop off with a view and putting the ramp down. Lay in bed with awesome view..
With the roof top tent there is plenty of space with additional family.

Attachments

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Just realize it's built by Forest River.. That should be enough said. I'm a firm believer in building your own, it will be what 'you' want!

Reactions: grubworm

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Just realize it's built by Forest River.. That should be enough said. I'm a firm believer in building your own, it will be what 'you' want!
true. like i said, i wanted to build my own but there is a lot to it. how did you build yours? did you fab your own frame and what materials did you use for the box? i didnt want to use plywood and it was very hard and expensive to find composite panels that size and have them shipped not to mention making sure to get perfect cuts for door and windows, etc. i'm a retired general contractor/builder and i've built a lot of commercial buildings, but building something like a camper was a bit beyond my tooling and skill level. i built many hurricane rated buildings, but have no clue what forces will be experienced by the camper...wind load, bouncing over rough roads, center of gravity, etc etc.

Reactions: Billiebob

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
true. like i said, i wanted to build my own but there is a lot to it. how did you build yours? did you fab your own frame and what materials did you use for the box? i didnt want to use plywood and it was very hard and expensive to find composite panels that size and have them shipped not to mention making sure to get perfect cuts for door and windows, etc. i'm a retired general contractor/builder and i've built a lot of commercial buildings, but building something like a camper was a bit beyond my tooling and skill level. i built many hurricane rated buildings, but have no clue what forces will be experienced by the camper...wind load, bouncing over rough roads, center of gravity, etc etc.
I'm in the middle of a trailer build. I could have easily bought something but enjoy doing this myself. Mine is going to be light and capable. My estimated finished cost will be about 4k. That's not including the hundreds of hours building. Cost wise, im going to be close (parts and labor) to the NO-BO. Reading through various build threads, posted all over, one thing i've noticed is, quite a few of the off-road trailer builds like this are not done correctly when done by a DIY person. If I didn't have years of experience fabricating off road toys, I would not be building mine.

There's a place up the road from me that sells NO-BO trailers. Unless your beating this thing hard, it will do well. I too wasn't happy with the over all fit and finish but structurally it will do what its designed for which are mild unmaintained roads. How many front engine or pusher type motor homes are designed for off road? Almost none. Over the years, we have all seen these and travel type trailers way down rutted out dirt roads, remote camping. If driven correctly they do fine. The only issues are normally tires or things falling off shelves inside.

Last edited:

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

I have a Forest River product too, a Coachmen Clipper Express 9.0td, and I use it in the exact same way as Grubworm ... get us and our "stuff" to a campground and use it as a base camp to go exploring from. The frames are light duty but not bad and there's a lot you can do to beef them up, and I have. The bodies are a different matter. I've built and modified trailers and have built several cars for off road racing. I enjoy fabrication and restoration, am well equipped and have been doing it for decades ... and I'm OLD.

A lot comes down to what's right at any particular time and what alternatives you have. For many of us our spouse's priorities and preferences enter in to the equation. Mine does not have the patience I do when it comes to building things and I'm not surprised by that. I prepared many sketches, material lists, etc. for a tear drop build and my wife showed little interest in the project for the simple fact that she wouldn't be able to stand up in it. The Clipper solved that problem and my thinking was/is that if we liked it I could build a much more rugged duplicate and still have the original to use in the meantime.

If you guys want a bit of a laugh, go on the Forest River Forums. Ours is a different world to many of theirs, and again, fair enough. I started up with a general interest because I have one of their products and found some of these guys even argue over their pick-up trucks. They don't seem to like Jeeps Gladiators btw. Anyone Towing with a Gladiator? - Forest River Forums

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
If you guys want a bit of a laugh, go on the Forest River Forums. Ours is a different world to many of theirs, and again, fair enough. I started up with a general interest because I have one of their products and found some of these guys even argue over their pick-up trucks. They don't seem to like Jeeps Gladiators btw. Anyone Towing with a Gladiator? - Forest River Forums
Yea....for that reason is why I only post in two forums. Not one of the people answering actually answered his question or owned the vehicle he was asking about. I only made it 3 pages and had to stop. Once they were done bashing the OP for his decision to buy a Jeep, they started bashing each other.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Ultimately you get all the parts for $13K, and you just have to dismantle and reassemble adding glue, screws, clamps, redoing every fastener and maybe adding some gussets. As you said, you get all the pieces for way less than you can buy them separately.

I considered buying an old camper for under a grand to get all the kitchen appliances, furnace, water system parts cheap. ..... but I wanted something different.

Last edited:

Mekcanix

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
First Name
John
Last Name
McLaughlin
Member #

I also have a forest river product. I have a 2018 NoBo 16.5
I agree with PCO6 100% I went hunting for a camper for my wife
We went to our local RV show with the intent on trying to get a better deal on a Rpod
We came around the corner and saw the NoBo and I fell hook line and sinker
saw the tires saw all the marketing and all my beautiful wife saw was a camper but she saw me get excited (I don't get excited on the outside much)
So we got it

So I actually do love it and I have taken it down some rough roads and one short trail.
I then spent a lot of time putting it back together and strengthening the internal structures
so I thought I would be building something more robust, but I am spending way to much time actually out in the woods
they are a box mounted on a frame made by folks not being paid a lot and it shows the wood is cheap the fasteners are, and I am being generous here, staples. and the craftsmanship is absent. Now I have friends with other brands and trim levels and they are all about the same.
to buy a camper with the same features as ours but Off road worthy we would be in the 60000$ range easy and that's almost triple the price

I have tweaked, repaired and modified mine a fair bit and plan on using it as much as we can so for the money if it gets you out there and you can mod it the way you want then its worth it

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I have tweaked, repaired and modified mine a fair bit and plan on using it as much as we can so for the money if it gets you out there and you can mod it the way you want then its worth it
Yep! Exactly my thoughts. The frame is made by Lippert and is probably 14 gauge...a little light, but then again it is a very light camper and the stress on the frame is not all that bad. I carry a few pieces of 3" flatbar and some Tek5 self-tapping screws, so I can easily band-aid a broken weld or crack on the frame until i get back home to my welder. Luckily there is little interior build out, but what there is had been fastened with staples and 1"X1/2" furring strips. A lot of the staples either pulled out right away or in a lot of cases, the staples missed the framing members....so i just went in with #8 stainless screws and liquid nails and its holding great now. Its just like buying the pressboard bookshelves at walmart...they are OK for the price and can easily be beefed up with some screws and corner gussets. Same as most of the mass produced campers...they will work Ok provided that you go thru it and beef up weak areas and fix mistakes made by the cheap laborers at the manufacturing facility. Also, it s a GREAT idea to always keep a tube of poly or silicone sealant with you...these things always have leaks until you find them and fix them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mekcanix

Mekcanix

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
First Name
John
Last Name
McLaughlin
Member #

Well Here is a update on our 2018 NOBO 16.5.
So where to begin
Installed a Lithium Battery, found my suitcase solar was not producing near enough juice even in optimal conditions, so I installed a 295 watt panel and 30 amp solar controller last year and bam battery is awesome
Rebuilt the wet bath, they build these things like crap. now its solid! Cept the glass door:disrelieved: its been a problem since we got it and our last trip to Tulabi Falls in Nopiming Park broke the stupid design hinge, for the last time. Just replaced it this week with a Nautilus Retractable door, I really like it.
I have also installed a 3-1/5 inch left in the camper so it now tows level with the Rebel.
I made a area in the front cubby for the battery and solar system , and because I also store my axe and fire stuff there, I built a organizer/retention
system using quick fists.
Had to a bunch of reinforcements to stove and sink mounts. did a rework of the tongue area with storage box dual propane, made a simple little lockable box mounted to the back of the camper to keep all the black tank supplies
I have done a lot to this thing, A LOT!
But.....
Its a 3rd the price of (at the time) anything comparable, ie Black Series. Yes its required work and mods, but I love that stuff and I have been able to use it constantly since we got it and never been left stranded or had to cancel a trip
So all in would I do it again, yeah with what I knew then I would.
If what I know now, I would have bought something with a bit better bathroom, I know, I know, thats not very overlander of me, but my wife and I love the camper but hate the bathroom. but with all the recent work on it , we are coming around to it
So we will continue to use this and hopefully in the next couple of years we can put some truly epic Kilometer's on Freya, (yeas we named her Freya)
We have truly enjoyed this little camper with the trials and tests along the way
its one of those, get it , get out there type things. I will tell you with utmost confidence I still am no where near the buy in price for some of the "better Built" units out there, and that extra cost sure buys a lot of fuel

John

Attachments

• Love
Reactions: grubworm

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I looked at them early on in my search for a trailer, I ultimately discounted them as an option due to construction (who,what,where), but I believe them to be adequate, attractively priced units if they fit your needs. They are not "off road " trailers.

In the end I spent 4 times as much money, waited a year and got what I really wanted, which came with a raft of small details and QC issues that I am sorting out on my own dime which is disappointing.