First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Well… in NJ we have the Trans NJ Trail…
…which is 90% paved and only has views of Jersey…

Please strap a camera to your hood and share
Dude, I have camera mounts all over my X. I have one right above the rear driver wheel well that I can't get off there without peeling paint. I plan on it. I want to have my trailer built, and a roof top tent on it before we go as well.

Reactions: Dusther210

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Dude, I have camera mounts all over my X. I have one right above the rear driver wheel well that I can't get off there without peeling paint. I plan on it. I want to have my trailer built, and a roof top tent on it before we go as well.
Do you have a date planned for your trip?

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Do you have a date planned for your trip?
Not yet. Much of the northern half of the trip is under snow until probably June, so it wouldn't be until most of the snow has melted. I'll have 4 weeks of PTO next year, so it'll happen, I just don't know when yet.

• Wow

GLOCKer

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

Marietta, Georgia, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Battersby
Just saying that tonneau cover and bed rack combo might be the best set up. I don't know how it does in snow, but I bet being able to see out the back of your truck AND the tent being out of the wind must be pretty sweet.

Also I like that 4WD247 sicker lol I just noticed that
I'm working with the rack manufacture to figure out mounting a spare tire on the rack in this configuration:

Attachments

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I'm working with the rack manufacture to figure out mounting a spare tire on the rack in this configuration:
OMFG. Mits Alloy. I wish they were available here (even though I need my bed for normal truck things, from time to time).

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Wait, you said June?
I did. Much of the mountains here are 5000ft plus. One place we tried to camp this year was 9000ft. Forest service hadn't been up to open the gate yet, though they were supposed to open it mid-june (it was July when we went).

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Wait, you said June?
I did. Much of the mountains here are 5000ft plus. One place we tried to camp this year was 9000ft. Forest service hadn't been up to open the gate yet, though they were supposed to open it mid-june (it was July when we went).
That’s some epicness… I plan to visit Whiteface mountain next week and hopefully mount Washington which is the closest we got to that kind of epicness over here

Reactions: reaver

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Take some pics and post them up. We're taking 3 rigs out into the Oregon high desert in a couple weeks before it starts getting too cold for the family to go as well.

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Reactions: reaver and TSO_NJ

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
So I’ve decided to do a little build thread on my frontier. I love this truck and I thought I would share it with you guys.

In the beginning and some of the story of the truck

I picked this truck up in 2018 with about 130,000 miles in it and a lot of problems. It wasn't pretty, sounded horrible, ran like doo doo butter and the inside smelled like a gym locker, but I got it for scrap metal price.

Issues that needed immediate attention included:
The wiring harness for the transfer case and transmission was melted
The exhaust needed to be completely replaced (manifolds, O2 sensors, everything)
The first gen frontier/xterra fuel tank seal leak

The truck didn't have 4WD but would randomly try to engage it anyway...often on the highway going 60-70mph. This was not an enjoyable experience and eventually the front hubs were destroyed. Although the truck was rated at 16-19mpg I was getting between 9 and 11.

Everyone I knew thought I was crazy...INSANE for getting this truck.

Attached are the original pictures I have of it (I think all screenshots)...

Now I’d like to rewind a little bit…
I used to have an XJ (actually I’ve had 2 but anyway…) it had a lift and either 31 or 32in MTs. I had a loaded up storage basket on the roof and solid pair of spotties on a bull bar… I took this thing EVERYWHERE
I loved this truck (my first XJ was kept stock). Sadly I fell asleep behind the wheel and rolled it down a hill after the passenger rear corner tagged a phone pole and spun the truck 360 degrees. I was totally unharmed from the accident but heartbroken. Since then (Aug 2015) I started looking for a replacement.
But I also couldn’t justify $10k on a 20-30 year old jeep…

I also wanted to be able to have pick up truck utility. I was torn but I was sure eventually the perfect truck at the right price would come around…
Enjoyed reading this first post! Plus, I have the utmost respect for anyone who takes an older vehicle from "rags to riches" (for lack of a better phrase). VINTAGE IS IN!

Thank you!! I’ll be adding pictures and adding to the story to hopefully improve the reading experience lol

Reactions: TSO_NJ

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I wish I could buy a canopy like that without my wife leaving me! :D HAHAHAHA!
I know of one Ranger over here stateside, out of VA, running a tray back with canopy and I am JEALOUS!!!!
View attachment 210444View attachment 210445View attachment 210446View attachment 210447
Yeah.... The Aussies get all the good toys. I wouldn't even consider putting it on my truck. Like I said.... I need the bed. I would however, consider chopping the body on my X, extending the frame, and putting one on that. Can't afford it though. Lol.

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
I wish I could buy a canopy like that without my wife leaving me! :D HAHAHAHA!
I know of one Ranger over here stateside, out of VA, running a tray back with canopy and I am JEALOUS!!!!
View attachment 210444View attachment 210445View attachment 210446View attachment 210447
Yeah.... The Aussies get all the good toys. I wouldn't even consider putting it on my truck. Like I said.... I need the bed. I would however, consider chopping the body on my X, extending the frame, and putting one on that. Can't afford it though. Lol.
That is quite a project lol
I really like the flatbed tray setup OverlandUnderBudget did

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
That is quite a project lol
I really like the flatbed tray setup OverlandUnderBudget did
Me too, but I have zero metal fab skills, nor the equipment to do it. Still, he's got a nice build (for a yota anyways).
I feel like even though it’s a DIY, that bed probably cost more than my entire truck build lol

But yea it is areal nice yota. But due to the lack of D22 presence I get most of my inspiration from Toyotas.
Other Tacoma sources of inspiration include Ken Hoglund and Kodastacoma