Enthusiast III

Dillsburg, PA, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
XXXX
Service Branch
USN
Drive a 21 gas Chevy Bison, 3 car seats in the back I’m not doing anything more than a weekend, mostly weekend trips (beach). I’m not a RTT guy, plenty of money for gas, communication is good to go (GMRS and Ham), sleeping situation is good to go, already have a portable “solar generator”, got a nice rotomold cooler (canyon 35), softopper and decked already installed. Additional exterior lighting doesn’t interest me, don’t need a fancy shovel, I run xbull recovery boards, I have sufficient WLL shackles. I’ll be buying a kinetic rope no matter the additional choice, I’m not convinced a winch is needed as I’m hard headed or stupid and will dig for days and use other means for traction.

-Roof rack I’d have to drill to install (I’m very capable), but could mount an awning for sun protection. Not the biggest fan on drilling my roof, but doable.
-fridge not really needed but it would be nice and to use in garage and already have a jackery. About twice a year we do weekend driving destination vacations.
-air up, I’m generally within 10 miles of free gas station air.
-bed rack around softopper ($$) to mount solar panel (augment fridge(later down the line)/jackery) and additional gas
-better recovery gear

I don’t know if there’s anything else I’d like to have.

mid Atlantic area, about $1300 to spend.

Last edited:

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

Drive a 21 gas Chevy Bison, 3 car seats in the back I’m not doing anything more than a weekend, mostly weekend trips (beach). I’m not a RTT guy, plenty of money for gas, communication is good to go (GMRS and Ham), sleeping situation is good to go, already have a portable “solar generator”, got a nice rotomold cooler (canyon 35), softopper and decked already installed. Additional exterior lighting doesn’t interest me, don’t need a fancy shovel, I run xbull recovery boards, I have sufficient WLL shackles. I’ll be buying a kinetic rope no matter the additional choice, I’m not convinced a winch is needed as I’m hard headed or stupid and will dig for days and use other means for traction.

-Roof rack I’d have to drill to install (I’m very capable), but could mount an awning for sun protection. Not the biggest fan on drilling my roof, but doable.
-fridge not really needed but it would be nice and to use in garage and already have a jackery. About twice a year we do weekend driving destination vacations.
-air up, I’m generally within 10 miles of free gas station air.
-bed rack around softopper ($$) to mount solar panel (augment fridge(later down the line)/jackery) and additional gas
-better recovery gear

I don’t know if there’s anything else I’d like to have.

mid Atlantic area, about $1300 to spend.
Get what you feel would make your life easier. If you are spending time on the beach I would drive 10mi to a pump @ 15psi so a good compressor would be a good option. Check VIAR or ARB. You can mount a simple awning to the stock roof rack and you don't need a full modular rack for that. I use my frontrunner rack for awning, solar, maxtrax, fishing poles, etc. If you don't have a quality strap, get one of those along with shackles. Also invest in some tractions boards if your on the beach especially. Doesn't have to be maxtrax.

Reactions: KD7WCD

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
The single best upgrade I did was a fridge. I've always had some kind of air compressor so that's your call. I tend to run real low tire pressure and wouldn't want to drive far on the street. I use my strap way more than the winch and prefer my kinetic straps for sand. If you tend to go out alone make sure you have some kind of traction board if your going in soft sand.
When it comes to drilling holes in roofs to mount things, you can really screw things up if you don't do it properly. I have special cutters for sheet metal and have installed a bunch of roof racks.

Reactions: AppalachianGoat

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
First thing I always look for are real Rock Sliders. May not need them where you are but out west they pay for themselves over and over again.

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

I would go with @grubworm on this and consider portable air AND a tire repair kit (I know there is a spare but cheap insurance). I would also throw in a first aid kit if you don't have one. For a weekend seems a fridge is a bit of overkill.

Your vehicle is already very capable for sure so short of a winch or something like that not much more needed. One item I have been considering for my Raptor is one of the systems like the Decked sliding drawers. I have a longer plastic tub in there now and find that it is super convenient to be able to slide the smaller stuff in and out.

From a comfort standpoint portable pop up shade like a Coleman (assuming camping area has room to set up). Lots of ways to go but be careful of the more gear rathole!

Reactions: grubworm

Kilo Sierra

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Warren, New Hampshire, United States
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Seaverson
Member #

Definitely agree on the first aid kit. Myself I'd put together a Beach/Boo-Boo kit that I'd attach to the headrest and then a more substantial kit somewhere else. Might also consider a fire extinguisher (I carry a standard one in the rear and two Element Fire Extinguishers attached under each front seat).

I'd just put the $$ aside and consider exactly what you might need from a safety and convenience factor. Doesn't sound like you need to go too crazy for your needs.

Jdsint

Rank V

Creator III

90 New Jersey Highway 94, Vernon, New Jersey 07462, United States
First Name
Joe
Last Name
S
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2ZBE
Definitely agree on the first aid kit. Myself I'd put together a Beach/Boo-Boo kit that I'd attach to the headrest and then a more substantial kit somewhere else. Might also consider a fire extinguisher (I carry a standard one in the rear and two Element Fire Extinguishers attached under each front seat).

I'd just put the $$ aside and consider exactly what you might need from a safety and convenience factor. Doesn't sound like you need to go too crazy for your needs.
You have a good plan there. One suggestion if I may, put the boo boo kit somewhere else and keep a "Oh s**t, that's a lot of blood" kit in arms reach.

Attachments