NE, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Siag
Service Branch
Army
Hi all,

Wanted to drop by and get my build thread started, new to the site and to overlanding, but very excited to begin this journey for my family and I. We’ve wanted a camper for years but could never find a way to have it all and still have some adventure and fun, while keeping it affordable, until I came across overlanding (laughs at affordable).

Now we’re diving all in and converting my 2019 RAM 2500 into the family camper. What started with me putting a cap on for work and tool storage, turned into me deciding to want to build an Overland vehicle and get the family out on an adventure.
So to start it’s a stock RAM 2500 with the cummins and is an amazing truck. Only modification is the 35 inch tires on 17 inch alloys. I may go back down to 33 inch because these wheels rub at full lick and a little lean already, so that’s going to be an issue.
Anyways here it is, hope to post more soon as I get equipment ordered and installed, so far I ordered the leer 100rcc cap because I want the toolboxes for work and I ordered the leer roof top tent. I think it will work for now while the kids are smaller but I’ve got plans to build a trailer in the future for the kids bunks. More to follow

Cheers
John

Attachments

200LC

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Henderson, NV, USA
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Hord
Member #

welcome, can't wait to see the progress truck looks awesome I also have Ram 2500 2018 cummins short bed that I'm slowly transforming just sold my Leer bed cap to make way for a slide in camper

Reactions: RAMrig

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Hi all,

Wanted to drop by and get my build thread started, new to the site and to overlanding, but very excited to begin this journey for my family and I. We’ve wanted a camper for years but could never find a way to have it all and still have some adventure and fun, while keeping it affordable, until I came across overlanding (laughs at affordable).

Now we’re diving all in and converting my 2019 RAM 2500 into the family camper. What started with me putting a cap on for work and tool storage, turned into me deciding to want to build an Overland vehicle and get the family out on an adventure.
So to start it’s a stock RAM 2500 with the cummins and is an amazing truck. Only modification is the 35 inch tires on 17 inch alloys. I may go back down to 33 inch because these wheels rub at full lick and a little lean already, so that’s going to be an issue.
Anyways here it is, hope to post more soon as I get equipment ordered and installed, so far I ordered the leer 100rcc cap because I want the toolboxes for work and I ordered the leer roof top tent. I think it will work for now while the kids are smaller but I’ve got plans to build a trailer in the future for the kids bunks. More to follow

Cheers
John
Welcome to OB, Beautiful truck, I have 33s on my 2500 and do not get any rubbing at all. Looking forward to see what it turns out to be!

Reactions: RAMrig

RAMrig

Rank I

Enthusiast I

NE, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Siag
Service Branch
Army
Thanks for the likes and comments gents.
Happy to be here! I've built a few Talon race cars over the years but nothing this big or complex especially on my daily vehicle. My goal is to try and make a lot these modifications detachable or easily removable so I can keep my truck as a relatively normal daily / work truck, but it is an excellent starting platform for sure. One of my favorite parts about building the cars was the build threads and community support, couldn't of got those things running without it. I'm definitely a hobbyist mechanic although a pretty good one, I had some formal training and experience in my earlier days. Currently I'm a firefighter / paramedic so building out trucks for a purpose is something I'm a little familiar with and lastly I spent about 8 years in the military with a good amount of time overseas so the field work is pretty familiar to me as well. Overlanding seems like a perfect fit for our family, it combines my love for the outdoors and my love for automotive work so I can't wait to get started. This will also hopefully give me the ability to take my family on meaningful vacations where we can really disconnect.

I don't believe in complacency though and my whole family will be riding in this contraption so reliability and safety are important to me as well as having some creature comforts available for the kids. I can survive for weeks with a backpack and water, but the kids and wife are a little less experienced in this type of life and come with a lot more baggage lol. This is why I want to build the travel trailer next year, so I'll have the space necessary for everything and extra for the kids. That is my big goal and I want the kids to be able to make the space their own little cool spot whether that's in the trailer or the RTT.

So far lots of list making and some parts ordering is all I'm getting done lately and lots of research around the forums, surprisingly even though parts and supplies are expensive, we'll still come in way under the budget of any camper we've looked at this year so it's a win - win. I'll be sure to post a lot more pictures as parts and building get underway! Thanks for the support!

John

Attachments

Reactions: 200LC and K12

200LC

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Henderson, NV, USA
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Hord
Member #

the list will never end haha :smile: as long as they get, there seems to be things that pop up and will end up on the list. I'm very close to finishing my 200 series land cruiser it's been close to 4 yrs now, so close. It's pictured in my avatar

Uberland

Rank VII

Influencer I

Springfield, VA, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Hi all,

Cheers
John
Looking forward to your progress! They’re fun rigs!