Newbie questions about parks, offroading and camping

• HTML tutorial

Gran Viaje

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Zurich
Hi all
I got some newbie questions for my upcoming travels through the united states.

National Park vs. State Forrest: whats the difference between these two? I heard there's a country wide pass that can be bought at the ranger stations. I guess this only covers National Parks? Do State Forrests also have a similar system?

I saw there are many areas that are regulated and you can only go hiking when you have a "ticket" from a lottery. Can these tickets also be bought on the day I arrive? For example, I'd love to do a multi day hike in the Enchantments (WA).

What are some of the offroading rules and regulations? When is a road off limits? What about camping outside designated camping places? Is this generally allowed? How can I tell if land is privately owned? What are some of the netiquettes? Do ppl just drive up to a farm and ask for permission to camp somewhere on their property for a night?

Thanks a bunch!
-Ben

Reactions: Luis Merlo

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Your best bet is to search each area you intend to explore. Each state will handle their state parks and state forests differently as well as handle each individual park and forest differently.

Reactions: Luis Merlo and BobG

Young Satchel

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Agree with @Shizzy on this one. Waaaaaay too much variation on the state level to make unilateral statements in this regard.

One thing I've noticed here in New York is that almost unequivocally, the most exciting and interesting state-managed lands to visit are State Forests and State Game Management Areas. Where as state and national PARKS and RECREATION areas here seem to be geared towards more mainstream tourist experiences and usually don't allow much off-road vehicle travel, the aforementioned forests and game management areas are full of awesome trails, seasonal limited access roads, and haul roads. They also tend to allow Unpermitted "primitive camping" for a stays less than 3 nights.

If you head this way and need some more specific advice in this regard feel free to hit me on the DM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

badmnky

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

PNW E. WA
Member #

In Washington state you can get a day pass for $10 to access state lands. Federal land depends on the region, you can get a nationwide parks and forest pass for $80 I think.

Edit: I say depends on the region, because you don't need a forest pass more most of eastern WA North Idaho and western Montana national forests.

Posted via mobile. OB# 3459