Newb question... Yaesu-400XDR

• HTML tutorial

Txdiamond17

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Collierville, Tennessee
Member #

I am totally new to ham. Got a cb and been using it since the good ole days. I’m taking my tech and general exam in a couple of weeks. I keep seeing the Yaesu 400 in several vehicles. I like that it has the head unit separate from the radio. Would this be a good first radio? This will only be a mobile unit for on the road and trail communication. If I really get the bug I’ll buy a home base station. I’ve searched for days and can’t quite figure it out. TIA

Reactions: Ubiety

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

You can't really go wrong with a Yeasu product. I have the VX-6R HT unit in my pocket, and the FT-8800R in the truck. The 8800 is discontinued, but the FT-8900R is basically the same thing, but a quad band. It's really 2 radios in one unit, has the detachable face, and cross band repeater function. The 8900 is also about half the price of the 400XDR. So if you're really into HAM or need the color screen, go for it, but that might be too much radio if you're just getting into the hobby.

You'll also want to get the data cable to program the channels, repeaters, PL tones, etc into the radio. But it's only convenient if you have a laptop to take with you into the vehicle after you enter everything into the software. It can be a little finicky but totally worth it. Or, if your friends already programmed their radios and you want the same memory set, you can download the memory from their radio to your laptop, and then just upload the file to your radio. That's what I did with mine.

*edit* You may only be able to copy the file from the radio and upload to yours if it's the same model...

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

If you are ok with spending the money on a ftm-400 then go for it. I know a lot of people who love their 400.
I would like to have one myself. I run APRS and the 400 has all that built into it. Looks like you have some decent digi-peaters around your area too if you chose to run APRS.

I too have the FT-8800r and while it has been rock solid for almost 5 years now in multiple Jeeps in a dusty environment it feels/looks a bit outdated. The FT-8800r debuted in 2003. Not only that the 6m and 10m on the FT-8900r are almost worthless, and as a technician licensee you wouldn't have access to the 10m FM portion of the band anyways.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I agree with 4XFar that the 8900 is a great radio, it takes up less dash space than the 400. The one thing the 400 has over the 8900 is APRS. One of our club members has the 400 and im not quite sure he is that happy with it but he does like the APRS.

ASRussell

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Monroeville, PA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Russell
Member #

what are the advantages to using HAM over a CB..... I know there are licensing requirements for HAM

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

what are the advantages to using HAM over a CB..... I know there are licensing requirements for HAM
Range (many miles/hundreds of miles/across the US/world vs a couple of miles if everyone has a properly setup system), clarity (FM vs AM), power (50-100 watts vs 4/12 watts), frequency options (ability to pick a frequency vs stuck with same 40 chanels), smaller antennas (VHF/UHF 19" or so vs 2/3/4 feet)....

ASRussell

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Monroeville, PA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Russell
Member #

Range (many miles/hundreds of miles/across the US/world vs a couple of miles if everyone has a properly setup system), clarity (FM vs AM), power (50-100 watts vs 4/12 watts), frequency options (ability to pick a frequency vs stuck with same 40 chanels), smaller antennas (VHF/UHF 19" or so vs 2/3/4 feet)....
I do like the range aspect.....How often do you have to renew your license??

NinjaHippie

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Casper, WY
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7RRB
I have the 400. LOVE IT! As far as overlanding I can't imagine a better rig. Built in APRS. Great GPS (the graph of your altitude changes is pretty cool). If you use the Fusion (digital) mode it sends callsign and distance with every transmission. You can poke the screen twice and be navigating toward your contact. Group mode is great if you travel in a group. It will show you callsigns for everyone and if someone goes offline or out of range you can automatically navigate to their last position. And then there is Wires-X. I could write a short book about that. If it's in your budget - do it!

Reactions: Ubiety

GrayGhost

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oysterville, WA
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG4PT
I am totally new to ham. Got a cb and been using it since the good ole days. I’m taking my tech and general exam in a couple of weeks. I keep seeing the Yaesu 400 in several vehicles. I like that it has the head unit separate from the radio. Would this be a good first radio? This will only be a mobile unit for on the road and trail communication. If I really get the bug I’ll buy a home base station. I’ve searched for days and can’t quite figure it out. TIA
You wont be disappointed in the FTM 400 XDR. Just an fyi, you can also use it as a base station with a power supply an antenna. Quite a few hams use it as their 2m/70cm rig.

Spaceman Spiff

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Papillion, NE, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Busta
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK4TOW
Another option is the FTM 100. Basically the same radio as the 400 without a touchscreen or cross band repeat but the smaller head size and cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

JeepGuy91

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rochester, MN, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
L
Member #

Another option is the FTM 100. Basically the same radio as the 400 without a touchscreen or cross band repeat but the smaller head size and cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
You can't run APRS in the background on the 100 though. It's a dual band radio, but not dual receive. Some people miss that detail and end up a little disappointed. That said, I knew that when I got my 100 and I think it's a great radio! It has plenty of features for what I like and need.

RockyMountaineer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Mathew
Last Name
Threadgill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5MST
The 400XDR is a great rig. It does about anything you want to do on 2m and 70cm. Not to mention I think C4FM is the best digital mode going right now.

Reactions: M Rose

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
That is one nice looking radio - love that big screen. The 400 is capable of APRS which I happen to think is pretty neat ;) I love my Kenwood mobile's detachable faceplate; radio is securely mounted out of site and the faceplate is visible to me but kinda tucked away. Enjoy!