Investor

Explorer I

New Albany, IN
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Price
Member #

So I'm onto my next trailer build after the limitations of my first one became apparent. It's not that the trailer was not a quality build or suitable for someone else, it just wasn't going to work for what I need it to do. I want a trailer that will haul two motorcycles, a rooftop tent and be a base camp while we are wheelin'. I want the kitchen and RRT to be easy to access and deploy without the need to unpack other things. The roof of the rig needs to stay clear so that we can carry 4 kayaks. A regular overland trailer can't carry motorcycle very well and are way too expensive. So I began to search for other options. I found a build thread on Expedition Portal that was of a build of a truck utility bed on a truck frame that had been turned into a trailer. So I had the idea of doing the same. I originally wanted to take an 3rd Gen Ford Explorer and make it into a trailer and drop a utility bed onto it. As I began to poke around it seemed like a great idea but the expense of doing all the mods to turn it into a trailer and were cost prohibitive. I'm not necessarily cheap but I am frugal. So I began to look for other options. In the mean time I finally acquired a utility bed that fit what I need and at the right price. So I jumped on it. It's a fiberglass unit. I chose fiberglass because of the weight savings. Steel is more durable but fiberglass is lighter. I'm not planning on taking the thing down crazy trails so I did'nt need t have a tank. The trailer I settled on is a M116A3 military trailer. I found one in good shape and at a good price. I still need to pick it up but it will be in my drive soon. The plan is do a full kitchen on one side and the other will be a shower and IMG_7140.JPEGIMG_7141.JPEG1295979_3082_161_0001.jpg storage for outdoor adventure gear. We plan on doing a 270 awning along with our RRT. We are going to put a electrical system to support a fridge and other electronics. We are going to be using products that are sourced from Amazon and eBay as much as possible to keep down the cost. JRod Customs in Columbus Ohio will be helping with the rack and ramp fabrications as well as the rear swing out and tire rack. We are going to convert it from a 8 lug to a 6 lug system too.