Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Idaho
First Name
John
Last Name
Hansen
Member #

We have been running a RTT on the bed of my truck. No issues but we have been wanting a trailer for quite some time. Simply so that we dont always have to take one truck. We chan change up what we drive depending on where we are going or doing. The trailer will allow us to haul motor bikes and set up a base camp.

Girlfriends parents built this trailer a few years ago on an old military trailer. Everything works fine but I slowly want to work on it and refine it to fit our needs better.

One thing I am struggling to understand is where all the tongue weight is coming from. Its pretty heavy and makes my '06 Tundra squat worse than the Chevy. I'm trying to figure out how to reduce it. Been considering trying to find someone to make me a rear swing out that would move the tire to the rear. There is also a water tank right behind the tire. We havent filled it yet but I am worried it will make it worse. I dont have actual weights yet but I can pick the tongue up barely. Anyone have ideas on how to cut some more weight? I'm sure the lunette ring and surge brake controller arent helping.

Also trying to decide if I should find some slim solar panels that will fit on top of it or if I should just get some portables ones and carry them in the trailer. We have a deep cycle battery on board for the small water pump and my goal is to add some lights for camp lighting and such. I like the idea of a roof mounted panel just because it will always be on and working even while traveling.

Any input or recommendations?

Bomb Dawg

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

North Olmsted, OH
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Cameron
Member #

View attachment 105221View attachment 105222

We have been running a RTT on the bed of my truck. No issues but we have been wanting a trailer for quite some time. Simply so that we dont always have to take one truck. We chan change up what we drive depending on where we are going or doing. The trailer will allow us to haul motor bikes and set up a base camp.

Girlfriends parents built this trailer a few years ago on an old military trailer. Everything works fine but I slowly want to work on it and refine it to fit our needs better.

One thing I am struggling to understand is where all the tongue weight is coming from. Its pretty heavy and makes my '06 Tundra squat worse than the Chevy. I'm trying to figure out how to reduce it. Been considering trying to find someone to make me a rear swing out that would move the tire to the rear. There is also a water tank right behind the tire. We havent filled it yet but I am worried it will make it worse. I dont have actual weights yet but I can pick the tongue up barely. Anyone have ideas on how to cut some more weight? I'm sure the lunette ring and surge brake controller arent helping.

Also trying to decide if I should find some slim solar panels that will fit on top of it or if I should just get some portables ones and carry them in the trailer. We have a deep cycle battery on board for the small water pump and my goal is to add some lights for camp lighting and such. I like the idea of a roof mounted panel just because it will always be on and working even while traveling.

Any input or recommendations?
Load leveling hitch will distribute some of the weight to the front wheels, which will also help handling. Plus you'll be able to use it with multiple vehicles.

flyfisher117

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Idaho
First Name
John
Last Name
Hansen
Member #

Anyone have recommendations on a pintle hitch that will raise the hitch on the truck? It tows fine as it is but I cant one that will reasonably raise it. Most are either the same height as what I have or 3 times bigger which is too much.. I saw one and was about to order it until I realized it was a 3" reciever.

My tundra will eventually be getting a high clearance rear bumper which will relocate its reciever but the chevy will be staying stock.

flyfisher117

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Idaho
First Name
John
Last Name
Hansen
Member #

We have the 8 hole version of this and have it flipped up. Was considering the 14 hole then finding a sweet spot and cutting off the excess. Only issue is that will make it impossible to drop the tailgate when trailer or hitch is installed.

Trying to find a lunette ring that will lower the trailers hitch and still maintain the surge brakes but maybe I just need to bite the bullet and convert it to electric brakes and ditch the surge controls. Which would also help us save weight.

nhfire

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

New Hampshire
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Currier
Member #

Looks great, need to get it as level as possible, RTT are the best