New to the game, help with selection

• HTML tutorial

Cruzscarwash

Rank 0

Contributor I

US
So I'm not new to the concept, my brother has a nice Jeep that he overlands with. I've never been in a good place to build a rig but I'm finally to a point that I think I can work it out so heres what I'm thinking.

I'm a mobile detailer and looking to make a rig that I can use for both work and play. I'm considering getting a diesel 4x4, I have 3 teenage kids so a mega cab is a must as they need as much space as possible for themselves and gear on the daily and trips. I'd also like a 6ft bed and nothing smaller.

I was originally looking at Toyota as they are my favorite truck but a Tacoma is much to small and the tundra only has short beds on their largest double cabs. So this again leads me to other brands and never want to worry about never being able to haul something so the power of diesel seems best.

While I'd love to get good gas mileage as I will be using this daily I know that's not a thing with a full size truck.

My budget is $20k for a good and reliable truck, so what do you guys recommend for this?? I'm currently in Cali but might be moving to SC or just take a bigger leap and just travel the country year round who knows but I want a truck that will be ready for it all.

willlord

Rank III

Contributor III

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Billy
Last Name
Lord
Hey there! I’ve owned gas rigs and diesel rigs, what are you hauling that makes you want a diesel? My last RAM 2500 with the Cummins diesel was great but was not only expensive but diesel fuel costs have gotten out of hand. As far as power goes, that thing would tow a loaded gooseneck stock trailer like it was nothing. That’s quite a lot of power! :)

With this truck, I was looking at a Tacoma but wanted more room. Ended up going with the 4Runner. Very happy I did.

Cruzscarwash

Rank 0

Contributor I

US
Hey there! I’ve owned gas rigs and diesel rigs, what are you hauling that makes you want a diesel? My last RAM 2500 with the Cummins diesel was great but was not only expensive but diesel fuel costs have gotten out of hand. As far as power goes, that thing would tow a loaded gooseneck stock trailer like it was nothing. That’s quite a lot of power! :)

With this truck, I was looking at a Tacoma but wanted more room. Ended up going with the 4Runner. Very happy I did.
I've actually never ever needed a diesel to tow anything... Ever. So if I can for the bill without it it won't make me think twice. I also don't plan to get anything large to tow with the exception of maybe one day a pontoon boat.

I actually looked at 4runners today and after the kids getting in the back it was two small, they then jumped in a tundra with the large cab and they loved the space but the bed was to small

Reactions: willlord

willlord

Rank III

Contributor III

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Billy
Last Name
Lord
I've actually never ever needed a diesel to tow anything... Ever. So if I can for the bill without it it won't make me think twice. I also don't plan to get anything large to tow with the exception of maybe one day a pontoon boat.

I actually looked at 4runners today and after the kids getting in the back it was two small, they then jumped in a tundra with the large cab and they loved the space but the bed was to small
Yeah I totally understand wanting the space. You may try and find a deal on a Ram 2500 Mega Cab with a long bed and the 5.7 Hemi. I love my Yota but miss the Ram :)

Cruzscarwash

Rank 0

Contributor I

US
Yeah I totally understand wanting the space. You may try and find a deal on a Ram 2500 Mega Cab with a long bed and the 5.7 Hemi. I love my Yota but miss the Ram :)
Would a gas 2500 have enough power to pull a fully loaded rig (RTT, cap, gear and maybe a off-road trailer) with no issues off road?

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Would you be opposed to adding an offroad trailer to the mix?
That way you wouldn't have to worry about having the room to pack everything into the vehicle and the trailer would always be ready.

And welcome from Oklahoma.

Reactions: willlord

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

The diesel would simply add towing power for extremely large trailers such as 30+’ travel trailer and 5th wheels, heavy equipment, and heavy wake boats.

My 2.0L Mitsubishi Lancer would tow my offroad trailer. Patriot Campers tows their $30k offroad trailer with a Polaris Razor.

A gas truck would be fine for towing.

Unfortunately if you want lots of cab room you have to buy American. American trucks are made for overweight Americans.

When Japan has an obesoty epidemic, their trucks will get bigger.

James

Cruzscarwash

Rank 0

Contributor I

US
So let's toss diesel out, I'm sure that is going to save me a lot of $$$. Is the power wagon still the best choice? They seem to be priced around the same and in many cases more then a diesel so are there other options to drop my price so I can spend more on gear? I was looking at the Titans and haven't done to much research but they seem cheap.

[DO]Ron

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Geertruidenberg, the Netherlands
First Name
Ron
Last Name
vAch
Member #

Btw, no idea how old your kids are. But as you need loads of room I imagine they are getting older. How long you are planning trips all together?
I've seen people getting a huge rig cus of kids only 1.5 years later selling it for something way smaller cus the kids went to college and stuff and never tag along any more :P

Anyway, Welcome! hope you find what you are looking for rig wise :).

Cruzscarwash

Rank 0

Contributor I

US
I wish they would all leave sooner..lol but I have 3 years worth the oldest and then 4 more and 5 more with the others.

I've always wanted a 99 4runner but after the other day actually looking at one and having the kids get in I'm not sure it's the best option, I've considered an 07 Sequoia maybe..maybe an 08 as they can be found for less then most other toyas. Looked at a 08 Titan today crewcab with 4x4 and it looks like it will fit the bill just didn't like the overall care of it. But they are way cheap and so are similar year Rams. Everything else sees to be way over priced

I've started looking at trailers as well to build my own off road one to take with me if all the kids go and then a different set up if it's just me and the wife and maybe one or 2 kids. Eventually I want to use this same rig to travel the country and see as much of the world on it as I can. I'm fortunate enough to be able to travel for work

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

I recommend taking a long hard look at Dodge Rams reputation for longevity, build quality, and common problems. I don’t want to rub any Ram owners the wrong way, and I mean no disrespect, but I’ve seen a lot of Dodge issues over the years that have severely swayed my opinion of that brand... I recommend doing a lot of research, digging... Dodges also tend to lose value quick, which is a good thing for potential buyers, bad news for owners.

Fords are very nice in many ways, but they don’t hold value well compared to Chevrolet.

Chevrolets are alright, but all mine have become needy at about 80k miles, so I’m kinda done there.

I’m now strictly in Japanese vehicles after years of going back and forth. They appear to cost more up front, but hold their value more than domestics. They don’t seem to be quite as gigantic inside when compared to the domestics, but that’s not always a bad thing.

There have been many different models of vehicles over the years, you might consider some of the out of the box models also.

You could also consider helping steer your teen into an overland vehicle, with his own camping setup, which would free up space for you in your vehicle, allowing you to get a smaller vehicle, and allowing your teen to start his own adventures :)

James