Rank I

Enthusiast I

Oregon
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Johnson
Hey All,

First and foremost, I know this is a very subjective question, and the correct answer is, "it depends..."

However, I'm mostly looking for a sanity check for what I want to do and see if there is anything I'm overlooking.

I currently have a 2014 Tundra. However, it doesn't have some relatively basic features like a locking rear diff, and it's not meeting my needs in some other ways as well. I'd like to get some additional opinions since I want to take this opportunity to do things right and have something awesome for the next decade.

It's currently just me and two dogs. Jeeps and 4Runners are already looking tight with just us, and I'll hopefully be adding a +1 in the near future. Therefore, I think a truck with either a standard topper or wedge tent will be the best approach.

The other consideration is that I would like to use this as a tow vehicle for a small-medium camper and use that as a basecamp. I'm in Central Oregon, which has numerous opportunities for exploration nearby, but I have friends from AZ to FL and across the rest of the country. I don't want to live out of my truck for a multi-month trek across the south.

Therefore, balancing off-road and hauling performance is another key consideration. This is also another negative for SUVs because I'm going to get horrendous gas mileage even pulling something small like an Airstream Basecamp. I think that would be fine as a local-ish solution, but I feel I would regret doing annual cross-country trips like this.

My current top choice, and what I'm curious for your feedback on in the context of what I'm looking to do, is a Ram 1500 (likely the Big Horn trim), Quad Cab 4x4 6'4" bed, rear e-locker, Back Country package, 33-gallon fuel tank, and I'm a bit undecided on the engine and axle ratio. The axle ratio is 3.21 by default, but 3.55 and 3.92 are available. I was leaning towards 3.92 for towing, and it seems like that is preferred for hills and obstacles as well. I was also leaning towards the 3.0L V6 diesel engine for towing as well, but that 5.7L V8 eTorque engine is interesting. The diesel is still my top pick. I'd take that over a 5.7L V8 like is in my Tundra, but I'm curious if eTorque helps with anything in regards to towing or overlanding (e.g. more low-end torque from the electrical system).

In summary, my questions are:
Does this generally seem like a reasonable approach for what I want to do?

Are there any negatives to using a 3.92 axle ratio from an overland perspective other than poorer fuel economy?

Will a truck legitimately hamper me in any way? I know there are some tight/crazy trails where a 4Runner or similar might be preferred, but I have to imagine a decently equipped truck will be able to handle the majority of what's out there. I just want to drive out into the woods and hangout, not spend half a day using multiple winch points to get my vehicle up a crazy hill (which I love watching people do in general; that's just not my goal here).

What are your thoughts on the diesel vs. eTorque (and I suppose vs. a standard gas V8 if neither of those are ideal)?

Will the added weight from the diesel negatively impact anything? Again, I want to drive to a remote beach and not worry about sinking down in the sand or something, not launch myself off sand dunes.

Any other thoughts or comments?

I appreciate you taking the time to look at this. I just found this forum and am excited to check out the rest of the content.

Thanks,
AJ

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
You've already done a fair bit of the thinking work into what kind of rig would meet your needs, but I do have a few suggestions for you to consider. The short version though is that based on what you've described (mild to moderate off road but nothing too extreme, and a desire to tow a small trailer) a pickup truck like you're describing would be a good fit.

The challenge for you to consider is that you have not yet really nailed down your living situation but you have eyes on what is, in my opinion, the most complex and expensive setup for travelling (truck and trailer). I say this is complex for a few reasons, but top of the list are: Making sure the trailer you want to get is within the tow rating of the truck you want to buy, making sure that things like spares are accounted for (ideally, having the same wheels and tires on the tow vehicle as on the trailer is an asset as it cuts down the number of spares you need to bring), and how "built" you want the truck to be (as in, if you want to build the truck into a day-trip Overland that is one thing; if you want to go away from the trailer for a few days at a time, that means you may be adding weight to the truck and that might put you up against Combined GVWR or even payload ratings, since tongue weight does detract from payload.

To put this another way -- if you are planning on a trailer, I would suggest you identify the truck and trailer combo you want to go for up front, so that you can make sure you are buying the right truck for your needs. It would be a shame to buy the truck now, then the trailer in a year or two and also have to upgrade the truck at the same time. Pay particular attention to tow capacities and payloads for the truck - you don't want to be near the max capacity if you can avoid it (i.e. just because a truck claims to tow 10,000 lbs, does not mean one should be towing 10k lbs with it especially if your adventures will take you off the highway regularly). Most manufacturers do not publish an 'on road' vs 'off road' spec, but the forces of towing off road are much, much greater than the forces on road and there are a plethora of bent trucks that attest to this.

As far as a full size truck hampering you in any way, it's hard to say - it can, there are some trails that will have a higher chance of panel damage/scratches than others. There will be some trails you simply cannot fit down. But, I would suggest that 95%+ of the places in North America that can be accessed by a vehicle, can be accessed by a full sized truck. If you are willing to risk scratches or simply turn around on that other 5%, you won't be limited at all. If you want the ability to take a vehicle down every single goat path you come across....well, the only vehicle I think can do that with any certainty is a motorbike, and they don't tow campers super well! And based on your use, I don't think you'll be limited in a full size truck.

Something to consider though -- you already have one of the most bulletproof trucks on the market, with decent enough specs. You can buy a lot of ARB lockers for the price of a new Ram Bighorn, you can add Katskin Leather seats with built in heaters, you can add custom interior pieces and even integrate CarPlay with a new head unit, or you can get aftermarket remote start. And as far as off-road goodies, for that era of Tundra there are skids, bumpers, and racks galore. You could do a LOT with the 2014 Tundra and have enough cash left over for a really nice trailer for the price of a new truck. What needs does the Tundra not meet that you expect the Ram to meet?

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

You'll love that RAM. We had a '19 1500 with the 3.92s and similar options (33gal tank, rear locker/off road package, etc) and it was a great truck. With just a leveling kit it sat great on 35x12.5-20" tires.

image_8079.jpg20191113_112222.jpgimage_8080.jpgimage_8210.jpg

I don't think the rig would hamper you in any way for most/all Overlanding. It is bigger than "typical" Overland rigs like JK/JL Wranglers and 4Runners, but hey I Overland a 2500 with a Four Wheel Camper on the back so I'm bigger-yet. The biggest downside will be trail stripes. Ours was my wife's vehicle, so it didn't really get off roaded, but I know it would have quickly looked different than these pics if it was. ;)

WRT drivetrains, ours was the 5.7 without eTorque. It's a great powerplant, especially paired with the always lovely ZF8 (8HP75 specifically in '19+ RAM 1500 Hemis IIRC). We didn't do eTorque because we planned to supercharge it later... we ended up selling it though and getting her a Trackhawk... then we sold the Trackhawk and have a TRX on order. But, for your use case I think the eTorque makes sense. It adds a nice torque-fill downlow and between gears which is helpful for steep climbs, towing, etc.

Speaking of towing, have you thought about a trailer for Overlanding? I just happen to have one for sale. ;)

-TJ

ajob

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Oregon
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Johnson
Hey, thanks for the responses. I should have added a bit more on the truck. I've actually only had this about a year. I ended up with it due to some personal misfortune, time-sensitive projects, and a general lack of other options due to covid. When looking at 0% offers on new financing, I'd actually drop about $100/mo on my payment. If it was paid off, I'd definitely just add some ARBs and things like that, but it doesn't seem to be worth upgrading a ten-year-old vehicle with a huge loan when I could get a newer one for less (at least with the monthly payments, I'd be adding another 18-24 months to the loan). The fuel economy is probably the worst part about it. I did a four-hour round-trip that was less than 200 miles (admittedly some windy roads through the mountains) and used an entire tank of gas with no payload other than passengers or towing anything. This is why I was looking at going to a diesel for long-distance towing.

I used to have a Chevy 3500HD dually and pulled a 42' fifth-wheel trailer, so I'm generally familiar with towing and weights. I was surprised how much all the armor, winches, and other accessories ate into the payload. I'd need to get a 2500/3500 and go on a major diet if I wanted to build my ultimate apocalypse machine.

I have a small Jayco toy hauler at the moment. I can't afford the toys yet though and just got it for the party porch and future potential. I was similarly thinking I could look at a dirt bike or SxS for any ridiculous exploration. I appreciate the offer, but I'm not looking for an off-road trailer at the moment :) That's a sick looking truck though. I just wanted to have something to live in that was nearby wherever I was trying to explore; I'd probably leave that at an RV park, camp ground, or friend's property while exploring.

What made you choose the TRX over the Power Wagon?

I'm 6', so the 5'7" bed in the TRX is kind of a deal-breaker; the Power Wagon has the standard 6'4" one. I was considering those, but it seems like I'd just go back to burning through gas like with my Tundra.

What's your opinion on the diesel vs. the eTorque?

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

To be clear, I wasn't suggesting the TRX for Overlanding. I Overland with either my '11 Silverado 2500HD (with the aforementioned Four Wheel Camper), my '17 Jeep Grand Cherokee Traihawk (5.7 Hemi), or my old '03 WJ. The TRX will be the wife's. ;) The Power Wagon is a great option, IMHO, but it's obviously the 2500 platform not the 1500. Myself, I like that (for the solid axle, and more payload etc) but not everyone wants a 2500. Anyway, the TRX would be terrible for Overlanding. The width, the MPG, and just the thought of scratching up a $90k truck would kill the fun. The red truck above was our '19 Laramie (but we custom-ordered it with a lot of the Limited options, we just hated the Limited interior with the super-bro-tat-looking embossing on the doors/seats).

Also, I'd think twice about the diesel. The Gen3 EcoDiesel is a lot better than the 1/2... but it's still a massively complicated (2 different EGR systems, for example) Italian-engineered diesel. I was looking into a Gladiator with one, until I got on the forums and read the horror stories. Of course, the RAM doesn't seem to have some of the issues, such as overheating due to it's much bigger grill/radiator, but I'd still steer clear of it myself.

My truck with the FWC:
messages_0 (3).jpeg

Currently getting a solid axle:
273641099_1379913555793923_2533928821381633005_n.jpg

-TJ

Last edited:
Reactions: dp454so

dp454so

Rank IV

Advocate II

USA
First Name
D
Last Name
P
Member #

Hey All,

First and foremost, I know this is a very subjective question, and the correct answer is, "it depends..."

However, I'm mostly looking for a sanity check for what I want to do and see if there is anything I'm overlooking.

I currently have a 2014 Tundra. However, it doesn't have some relatively basic features like a locking rear diff, and it's not meeting my needs in some other ways as well. I'd like to get some additional opinions since I want to take this opportunity to do things right and have something awesome for the next decade.

It's currently just me and two dogs. Jeeps and 4Runners are already looking tight with just us, and I'll hopefully be adding a +1 in the near future. Therefore, I think a truck with either a standard topper or wedge tent will be the best approach.

The other consideration is that I would like to use this as a tow vehicle for a small-medium camper and use that as a basecamp. I'm in Central Oregon, which has numerous opportunities for exploration nearby, but I have friends from AZ to FL and across the rest of the country. I don't want to live out of my truck for a multi-month trek across the south.

Therefore, balancing off-road and hauling performance is another key consideration. This is also another negative for SUVs because I'm going to get horrendous gas mileage even pulling something small like an Airstream Basecamp. I think that would be fine as a local-ish solution, but I feel I would regret doing annual cross-country trips like this.

My current top choice, and what I'm curious for your feedback on in the context of what I'm looking to do, is a Ram 1500 (likely the Big Horn trim), Quad Cab 4x4 6'4" bed, rear e-locker, Back Country package, 33-gallon fuel tank, and I'm a bit undecided on the engine and axle ratio. The axle ratio is 3.21 by default, but 3.55 and 3.92 are available. I was leaning towards 3.92 for towing, and it seems like that is preferred for hills and obstacles as well. I was also leaning towards the 3.0L V6 diesel engine for towing as well, but that 5.7L V8 eTorque engine is interesting. The diesel is still my top pick. I'd take that over a 5.7L V8 like is in my Tundra, but I'm curious if eTorque helps with anything in regards to towing or overlanding (e.g. more low-end torque from the electrical system).

Are there any negatives to using a 3.92 axle ratio from an overland perspective other than poorer fuel economy?

Will a truck legitimately hamper me in any way? I know there are some tight/crazy trails where a 4Runner or similar might be preferred, but I have to imagine a decently equipped truck will be able to handle the majority of what's out there. I just want to drive out into the woods and hangout, not spend half a day using multiple winch points to get my vehicle up a crazy hill (which I love watching people do in general; that's just not my goal here).

What are your thoughts on the diesel vs. eTorque (and I suppose vs. a standard gas V8 if neither of those are ideal)?

Will the added weight from the diesel negatively impact anything? Again, I want to drive to a remote beach and not worry about sinking down in the sand or something, not launch myself off sand dunes.

I appreciate you taking the time to look at this. I just found this forum and am excited to check out the rest of the content.

Thanks,
AJ
Welcome and solid advice here already. I'd double down on the full-size movement for overlanding. Several threads here already on "fullsize" builds and how to do it right. These guys are insanely creative and can get totally off-grid with the platform that full-size rigs provide you. I'm on a '16 Silverado LTZ 1500 on Kings and 35's and the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks. Having said that, I am actively looking for an '03-06 Jeep LJ to bounce around town in. You have to love the rare classics.

With the full-size rigs... bigger platform, more room to build and customize, payload, etc. The extra space and comfort is worth every penny but yeah, it won't be much good in the boulders ;) If you can acknowledge that, you're ahead of the game.

Admittedly, I don't know much about the Ram's but I just upgraded to 35's and will see how the truck does with them, with the 6.2 v8gas engine and 8spd. I expect I will regear (and want to) to keep the engine & tranny in it's comfort zone and aside from that, don't expect to touch the drivetrain much. I will do headers and intake but that's it. I think you'll be fine with any of the engines you mention and doubt the weight between the diesel/gas will be an issue.

Out of my depth here but the e-torque sounds like a complication that might be a potential point of failure if you're deep off-grid. Something about water crossings, and electric drivetrain elements don't make me warm and fuzzy ;)

Welcome again and good hunting!

Reactions: 9Mike2

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
I would steer clear of the eco diesel if you think you will tow. I wanted a diesel for towing and did a lot of research on the ecodiesel, and talked to a friend of mine that had one. He regularly tows a small teaedrop trailer but said not to pull anything bigger than that, cauae his luck hasnt been good. This brought me to a Ram 2500 with the cummins. and pulling a Black Series Trailer. If you already got the trailer and are saving money on you payments and fuel, use the extra money for an adventure motorcycle to explore the small trails. Its a lot more fun, less fuel, and can get to so many more fun places. At the end of the day basecamp is waiting with the garage and party porch.

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

For me it is a bit weird that you don't fit in a big SUV maybe 2 persons + 2 dogs, considering you plan to have a trailer as well. Of course each person has different needs, but I would guess most of the camping stuff will be in the trailer. You have many options as capable big SUV in US, fuel consumption is lower and probably they are more budget friendly compared to a full size truck.
In my mind in this situation I would either go for a SUV +trailer or full size truck. Full size truck + trailer.. seems to be a bit too much.
But again, in my youth I took my girlfriend on a week-end hiking trip in the mountains, and second day, after she was complaining about the weight of her backpack, I discovered she had, among other things, a 1 l ( 33 oz ) bottle of body lotion for a 2 night trip so wtf do I know..

Coreymol

Local Expert, Texas USA

Guardian I

Boerne, Texas, United States
First Name
Corey
Last Name
Molinelli
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WREM781 on GMRS
Service Branch
Army
Hey All,

Thanks,
AJ
Im partial to the tacoma. ive found no issues getting anywhere i wanted or needed to go with it. Ive drove with others in full size trucks that had issues because of its size jeep wranglers are another decent option as well.

ajob

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Oregon
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Johnson
Just to be clear, I was talking about sleeping in the 4Runner. I have to move the seats all the way up to lie down, and the dogs and I already take up most of the available room. It would be miserable with another person in there. There'd be no problem simply transporting us in an SUV, but a 6'+ truck bed would be a better sleeping option.

The RV is more to live out of during a cross-country trip; it's certainly not a core part of the overland plan. Going from Bend, OR through Phoenix, Austin, New Orleans, Tampa, and back is going to be pushing 7k miles for the roundtrip, and I'd likely be gone 2-3 months, if not longer. It's going to be my mobile home and office, so it's going to be far cheaper than staying in Air BnBs or hotels, especially since I already have the trailer. If I go to an SUV, I would also have to trade in my trailer because an SUV couldn't tow that. Being able to carry a bike or atv in that is also a benefit and would compensate for a less capable tow vehicle for more extreme off-roading.

Thanks for the feedback on the eco diesel. My only first-hand diesel experience was in the 3500 HD, and that's obviously a completely different proposition, which is why I was asking. Good points on the complexity of the eTorque as well. Despite being newer, it doesn't sound like upgrading the truck is going to get me much benefit unless I go to a 2500 with a $10k diesel upgrade, which wasn't really in the budget haha. I should probably stick with the Tundra for now and spend a few years saving for the dream machine.

The Tacoma was a solid contender as well. Like the 4Runner, the smaller two-person sleeping capacity and lower tow capability (I'd have to downside my trailer for this as well) didn't make it a great fit for what I'm trying to do. It actually has the same/worse gas mileage as the Tundra (at least for the current year), so it comes up short of my current vehicle in several key areas. It looks like a super fun vehicle, and it would be awesome for short trips nearby.

Reactions: 9Mike2 and Coreymol

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

Have you considered a tent ? or maybe you plan to do winter trips and want more shelter..
Or even a 4x4 Van might be a better option for you.

JacksonRL

Rank VII

Educator I

York County, South Carolina, United States
First Name
Jackson
Last Name
Lewis
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
With a full size you might not be able to squeeze in some trails, but I think mostly you’ll be fine. I haven’t been to all trails of course …but I’ve been to many and I have an F150. And I have a wider wheel base than stock. I’ve been on Jeep “specific” trails and I’ve made it through with no issues. I went with 37”’s because of the length. Along with a 6” lift. But I think even with 35”s and no lift (if they fit) would still get you by. I think it’s a good idea for what you’re wanting to do. I wouldn’t be comfy in anything smaller. I’m 6’3” 250lbs. And I have two dogs also, (75lbs each) and sometimes I still feel cramped. And I’m pulling a travel trailer. May seem too much to some but ultimately, it’s what you want and need that matters.

Reactions: Viking1204

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Skip the 1500. Go straight to a 2500/250 or greater Ram or Ford. Small to medium travel trailer, and an RTT will be invisible.

Avoid the diesels at all cost. Nothing you listed requires the diesel engine. My Ram weighs 15,000 pounds, so the diesel is handy. Too bad it grenaded the fuel pump in short order, and has been towed twice in just 70,000 miles. The weight of the diesel slaughters your off road capability in slick soft muddy conditions. Lighter is always better. It also knocks 1500 pounds off of your trucks cargo capacity. A big problem if you go with a derated 2500/250 for insurance cost or licensing issues. 350's or 550's, not so big deal.

Get the biggest axle gears offered. Only settle for dealer lot trucks with soccer mom gears, if you get a rebate that covers the cost to regear and add lockers. 3.92 is still a fairly girly gear. You'll notice a lack of power with larger heavier MT tires.

I'd recommend a 7.3L gas, Ford F250CCSB FX4, 4.30, over the Ram. I have both trucks in my driveway right now. Ask me anything.

There's fullsize overlanding, there's jeep overlanding, there's even motorcycle overlanding. There's no shame in doing the fullsize stuff now, and coming back to do the tighter trails with a Jeep later. I got rid of my Jeep because it was boring easy, and usually used for stuff that fullsizes do better. (Like not peeing on me, having a real defroster not a wet moldy towel, tow, haul scuba tanks, seat four in absolute comfort, crush slab with the cruise control set to 85mph)

Last edited:

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
.The fuel economy is probably the worst part about it. I did a four-hour round-trip that was less than 200 miles (admittedly some windy roads through the mountains) and used an entire tank of gas with no payload other than passengers or towing anything. This is why I was looking at going to a diesel for long-distance towing.
Does not compute.

THE DIESEL WILL COST MORE NO MATTER WHAT. If you want to pay more, because you like noisy engines, so be it.

My Ram Cummins mileage is not impressive. 2mpg better than the same weight Ford 6.2L gasoline. Currently my Cummins gets 9mpg. Don't base any truck purchase on mileage. It's misleading. But yes, the Tundras mileage Is as bad as a much larger F350. Bad example.

I think I crunched numbers for a round trip drive, Ohio to Key west. My Mustang would save me $150 in fuel cost or something. Big deal. I forget exactly, but it was negligible.

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
.The fuel economy is probably the worst part about it. I did a four-hour round-trip that was less than 200 miles (admittedly some windy roads through the mountains) and used an entire tank of gas with no payload other than passengers or towing anything. This is why I was looking at going to a diesel for long-distance towing.
Does not compute.

THE DIESEL WILL COST MORE NO MATTER WHAT. If you want to pay more, because you like noisy engines, so be it.

My Ram Cummins mileage is not impressive. 2mpg better than the same weight Ford 6.2L gasoline. Currently my Cummins gets 9mpg. Don't base any truck purchase on mileage. It's misleading. But yes, the Tundras mileage Is as bad as a much larger F350. Bad example.

I think I crunched numbers for a round trip drive, Ohio to Key west. My Mustang would save me $150 in fuel cost or something. Big deal. I forget exactly, but it was negligible.
Are you only towing with the cummins? I have a 2500 megacab, and with winter diesel I am getting 16mpg hand calculated and in october/november, normal diesel, when I got the truck I was getting 19mpg avg hand calculated. Towing I get between 9-11, with an HQ19 Full watter tanks (about 8800lbs), and quite a bit off road in mud/dirt under 35 mph. I always drive in Tow/Haul with exhaust brake active as well which drops mileage.

This is better than my 1500 I traded, that averaged 6-9 towing and 15.5 mpg mostly highway.

Last edited:

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

THE DIESEL WILL COST MORE NO MATTER WHAT.
Agree to disagree. My '11 diesel has over 130k miles on it and before the solid-axle-swap I still got offered $50k. Sure, it's been meticulously maintained and tastefully modded, but if it was a '11 Chevy 2500 gasser it'd be worth about $0.03.

-TJ

Last edited:

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

more miles you do, and for towing, a diesel in general makes more sense.
But of course it depends on use case... and not all diesels are created equal..
I have 3l v6 diesel I get about 11l/100 km, that is about 21 mpg. when I am fully loaded. It can get even better fuel economy, but on a typical trip.. some highway, some normal roads some off road..this is the avarage. It is an SUV, but heavier than my last pick -up ...
Might be less reliable, so repairs and maintenance might add to the bill . But if you do many miles, and truck is new, or under warrantee - it might be worth to consider.
So you do the math, check the declared fuel economy for both options you know how many miles do per year... see if it checks out.
For older vehicles, more than 5 years - depends a lot on the reliability of that particular model of diesel engine. Repair bills on a diesel engine can add quickly, and in general they are a bit more fussy than a petrol Yota engine for sure..

Last edited:
Reactions: 9Mike2 and K12

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Hello @ajob Welcome to Overland Bound.

I am the Northwest Director. @Big G is your closest member representative. He drives a Full sized Chevy/GMC 1/2 ton.

To help navigate through the forums, here are some links that can be filtered by “Region” prefix. We are in the Overland Bound North America US Northwest Region (US Northwest for short).

Overland Bound Meetups- is where all member generated rally points are posted in forum format for discussion of Rally Point and other types of Meetups. A meetup can be as simple as a group getting together for coffee, a trail ride, or a full in expedition with other Overland Bound Members.

Overland Bound Trip Planning- is a great place to talk about planning a trip wether by your self or as a group.

Overland Bound Routs: Downloadable- is exactly what it sounds like. Search, or share your GPX files here with a description of the route and POIs.

Share your Overland Routes- is similar time the downloadable posted above, but doesn’t require you to share the actual GPX file.

Overland Bound By Region < North America < US Northwest- is where you can find regional members discussing local events, Overland News, and general topics. It’s a great recourse to mete others in the regions.

Member Maps- a great trip planning tool. It can also be used to send out messages to members near your location, or a location you plan to visit.

Rally Point- a tool used to creat Meetups or send out an SOS.

Any questions, don’t hesitate to ask myself or your member representative team. Again welcome and hope to see you on the trails.

Mike Rose
Northwest Director
Overland Bound

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Having done it all in a Miltary 5 ton all the way down to an Adventure cycle, with and with out a Travel Trailer, all a crossed the US, and on several other continents I feel like I can offer some advice.

For two people and a dog, a Tocoma set up with an adventure trailer would be a very good platform to travel a crossed North America. Forget sleeping in the back of the rig… it’s not comfortable for long trips. Over night is one thing, but multiple days it gets very cramped quickly. If you insist on sleeping in the back I would recommend a 3/4 ton Expedition, Suburban, or Yukon and remove the back seats.

Thin down your camping gear. I can fit all of my gear onto either my wife’s 2004 4Runner, or into my 1989 Fulsized Bronco. We take the 4Runner when we take our adult kids with us, or when just the Wife and I we take the Bronco. I did take the bronco on a week long adventure with 4 kids and my wife and 3 dogs while towing a boat.

the biggest thing is learn to pack light.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Agree to disagree. My '11 diesel has over 130k miles on it and before the solid-axle-swap I still got offered $50k. Sure, it's been meticulously maintained and tastefully modded, but if it was a '11 Chevy 2500 gasser it'd be worth about $0.03.

-TJ
In this case we agree, to a point. A GMC truck with the gas 6.0 isn't worth anything. A gas Ford 7.3, 6.2, or a tick free Ram 2500+ Hemi, would be.

If you keep each truck until they're nearly dust though, the gas truck drains your wallet far less. Because a $14,000+ diesel option, still depreciates. Two 6.2l long blocks, installed, costs about as much as one diesel fuel system overhaul.

Reactions: Viking1204