Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
King
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK0X
Hey Guys,

I'm from Denver, CO and I recently found you guys through your youtube channel and I'm interested in getting into overlanding and getting suggestions on gear. I currently drive a 2017 Subaru Forester XT as my Daily that i've started modding. Just got a lift installed with king springs, new tires/wheels soon. I've started working toward collecting the gear I'll need.

I got my Ham Radio Technicians license in December 2016, and the general class license 2 weeks later. I passed the Extra this past summer. Call sign: KK0X
I like the fact that you guys push using ham radio over cb/gmrs, I think that's the way to go.

Hope to be able to meet up with some of you guys soon!

2020-01-14 14.31.34.jpgIMG_4175.jpgIMG_4175.jpg

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Hey Guys,

I'm from Denver, CO and I recently found you guys through your youtube channel and I'm interested in getting into overlanding and getting suggestions on gear. I currently drive a 2017 Subaru Forester XT as my Daily that i've started modding. Just got a lift installed with king springs, new tires/wheels soon. I've started working toward collecting the gear I'll need.

I got my Ham Radio Technicians license in December 2016, and the general class license 2 weeks later. I passed the Extra this past summer. Call sign: KK0X
I like the fact that you guys push using ham radio over cb/gmrs, I think that's the way to go.

View attachment 135886View attachment 135887View attachment 135887
So, I am taking the Tech test tomorrow at 1pm. If I pass I will go for the General. I feel I am good to go on the Tech, but the General I am only at about 64% aptitude. So, we will see.
I like the subaru. I have been peeking at the Crosstreks. I follow softroadingthewest on youtube. I am impressed at what the subarus can do.

Reactions: TerryD

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Hey Guys,

View attachment 135886View attachment 135887View attachment 135887
Hello Matt and welcome to the OB crew....nice rig. Look forward to seeing your build and your adventures.

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
The Tech test isn't that bad. If you have a basic knowledge of how electricity works, that's a good foundation. Parts of it are ham specific things like bands, frequencies, rules, etc.

I used HamExam.org: Free Amateur Radio Practice Tests with Flash Cards for all of my tests, there's also hamstudy.org.
I have doing a cram for the Tech for the last week & a half. Using Hamstudy and the NoNonsense book. Good to go there. The General however is another beast. Just need more time for the memorization.

I will let you all know how it goes!

Reactions: Itacal

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
I have doing a cram for the Tech for the last week & a half. Using Hamstudy and the NoNonsense book. Good to go there. The General however is another beast. Just need more time for the memorization.

I will let you all know how it goes!
Have you done the practice test at QRZ.com (Callsign Database by QRZ Ham Radio) ... You will find them under the Resources tab. The questions and answers are the same ones that will be on the test, but they answers may be in a different order on the actual test. You can take the QRZ practice tests as many times as you want, in order to track your progress. Best of luck!

Reactions: PNW EXPLR