Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

So I'm planning on outfitting my Land Cruiser for Overlanding. I've been looking at RTTs a lot lately. One thing I can't get past is that it looks like a major hassle to break camp of I want to explore during the trip. Am I over thinking this? Clearly these things are really popular. I know that a hard shell tent would go up and down much faster, but they have their drawbacks too. Perhaps I'll start with a sleeping platform and go from there?
I'm retired, I've done tenting, back country skiing, winter camping, I'm too old to do the setup, teardown and I want to sleep high, dry, comfortable so I tow a squaredrop behind my Rubi.

I park, roll into bed. In the morning if it is raining, Roll out of bed and drive. If I need groceries, uncouple the trailer, go shopping. No set up, no wet tent, no pack up.

DSC_0073.jpeg

And it is always loaded. Home from work, hook up and go. Stop for groceries on the way out of town.

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

I'm not sure if available to you but, where I live it possible to rent one. The price is kind of lame but may give you taste and see if it's for you.

With my small and possibly growing family I am always considering and Rtt . For posted up a couple of days ground tent is fine, but going to different spot day to day is somewhat of a pain. Inly if could a afford an ursa minor top

Reactions: sabjku

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

I'm not sure if available to you but, where I live it possible to rent one. The price is kind of lame but may give you taste and see if it's for you.

With my small and possibly growing family I am always considering and Rtt . For posted up a couple of days ground tent is fine, but going to different spot day to day is somewhat of a pain. Inly if could a afford an ursa minor top
I really wanted the Ursa Minor top myself, but it ended up not happening. BTW, Ursa Minor is great for one person, ok for two, but that's it. It's actually fairly small sleeping quarters.

Reactions: stoney126

Garlic Overlander

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Gilroy, CA
First Name
Jarad
Last Name
Derosa
Member #

I will add my limited experience with a friend's RTT on his FJ Cruiser. As others have pointed out, there is a lot of up and down when setting up and breaking down and RTT setup. My issue is mostly around my personal height. At 5-4, the hassle of dealing with it being that high up was just flat annoying. It would probably be better if it was low on the bed of a pickup our on an adventure trailer, but still short people beware.

Reactions: Dave K

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

I debated long and hard what setup to go with when I started doing vehicle based exploration. For many reasons, this is what I settled on:
OZTRail tent.jpg

It's a cot tent. I paid $50 Canuck bucks for it from Walmart. Keeps me off the ground, allows storage space underneath, keeps me nice and dry, and it's super comfy. It's also very easy to setup - it has only 2 poles and 2 stabilizer braces between them. Room enough for my 6'2" frame and my clothes bag in there, and if I really wanted, I could squeeze the doglet in there with me too without too much fuss. Weight is only 25lbs, which is important for my vehicle. So far I've used it a fair bit and so far I love it.

Reactions: Navin