Member I

Fairfax, VA, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Mullins
Member #

Hi all,

As the title says Im a novice when it comes to overland and off roading but I did grow up in the country and grew up tent camping. I am in the process of picking up a 2000 Nissan Frontier v6 4x4. I have about 3k for initial tune up and getting the vehicle set up. I've been doing some research but first hand knowledge is always best. For the start I need to replace the radiator and will prob throw in a k&n air filter if it's worth it. From there I'm looking for a rack system for eventually mounting a roof top tent. I would like 30" wheel and probably off road steel rims. Also thinking about rhino or x-lining the whole truck so any pointer or things to know about this would be great. Help spend my money and make a great vehicle for awesome adventures.

Thanks,

Reactions: TerryD

Dave K

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Tracy California, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
K
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6PXJ
My personal opinion is that many people that get into “overlanding” throw a ton of money at a vehicle to drive what are basically dirt roads and camp in campgrounds. Things you could do in a stock vehicle leaving loads of money for fuel to travel with. My advise would be use the gear you already have and hit the road. Experience will tell you what to built according to what your needs are. Built to what works for what you do, not what you may do one day. Pushing the limits of your current gear tells you where your dollars are best spent.

Then again, if overlanding is a coverup for a building hobby, there’s ton of stuff you could do! Are you a DIY guy? If so I’d look at Raptor Liner over line x if you are budget minded.

I’d look at a shell/topper for the bed. I have a hard time with the “everything exposed to the elements” route . That looks cool but just doesn’t make sense to me.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Howdy, I think you'll see a lot of this advice on this forum, and that is... when you get your vehicle, go out and use it before you spend a lot of money on it!
That way, you'll know what you want to improve first, and the best place to spend your hard-earned $$.

Tires are always a good investment, I'm not sure what size this vehicle will fit with or without a lift, you may want to do a little searching to see what other Nissan owners are doing. I would probably get the largest diameter you can fit without interference. You don't need big tires to get out there, they do help with clearance, and always buy a good tire (I have had BFGoodrich for a long time). High quality tires will last long after you've forgotten what you paid for them. Unless you have a good reason to move away from the stock rims, I'd use them at first, then upgrade as needed.

If you find yourself taking more difficult trails, or going with groups that like to do that kind of thing, then you know where to spend your dough.
Probably for things that protect the tender parts under the truck. Rock rails are a good investment to protect your rocker panels from damage, but again I don't know what's available for this truck.

Use your truck first, getting out is the reason we modify our trucks, so spend wisely and you'll continue to enjoy this lifestyle for a long time!

Post up a picture of your truck when you get it!

G'luck and have fun!

Dan.

Dave K

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Tracy California, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
K
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6PXJ
Also, find a Nissan forum for Nissan specific advise. That’s not to say you will get bad advise on a Nissan here but you will do better in a brand specific group for brand specific advise with people that are eating and breathing Nissan. Loads of great general overland info here on gear, ideas, comes, nav, etc. that transcend brands. I look at ideas other people have to adapt them to my Land Cruiser but I go elsewhere for my Toyota tech. Birds of a feather I guess.

Jillsogw

Rank V

Explorer I

Sacramento, CA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Jillson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6GWJ
Make sure your rig is solid mechanically - engine, cooling, drive train, electrical, etc. Tires should be your first upgrade. There are online calculators, charts that will help you determine tire size and how it works with your gearing.

Take your rig out. Find out what you like to do. If your taking your wife it significant other, make them comfortable. Best upgrade with highest return you can make

csmullins89

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Fairfax, VA, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Mullins
Member #

My personal opinion is that many people that get into “overlanding” throw a ton of money at a vehicle to drive what are basically dirt roads and camp in campgrounds. Things you could do in a stock vehicle leaving loads of money for fuel to travel with. My advise would be use the gear you already have and hit the road. Experience will tell you what to built according to what your needs are. Built to what works for what you do, not what you may do one day. Pushing the limits of your current gear tells you where your dollars are best spent.

Then again, if overlanding is a coverup for a building hobby, there’s ton of stuff you could do! Are you a DIY guy? If so I’d look at Raptor Liner over line x if you are budget minded.

I’d look at a shell/topper for the bed. I have a hard time with the “everything exposed to the elements” route . That looks cool but just doesn’t make sense to me.
Hi,

Thanks for the info and yes I'm a big DIY person and have been excited for a while to get a truck. Wanted to wait until I had the time and spare cash to start a project truck.

Best regards,

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Welcome!

I think you'll be happy with your Nissan Frontier but you need to get on a Nissan specific forum and figure out the short comings of that engine. I assume you have the 3.3L (VG33 I think) and the timing belts and distributor can give issues on those, so you'll want to look into how to beef up or at least mitigate failures in those areas. You'll want to do fluid changes on the diffs, t-case and transmission if they haven't been done. Maintenance is a vital part of a reliable overland/offroad vehicle. Get familiar with the underside of your rig and how it normally looks so when there's wear or damage, you'll be more likely to spot it on a routine inspection or after trip inspection so you can get it corrected before damage becomes a failure.

Next, K&N air filters aren't the greatest idea of longevity off-road. We recently had a discussion on this here, check out this thread and the article I linked in it for more info. FWIW, I run AC Delco filters in all my stuff now.

Finally, as stated before, go use the truck. Throw a cheap tent and some chairs in the bed and get out there! See what you enjoy doing and build to suit it. Also, see about a meet-up in your area and hang out with some of the folks that have been doing it for a while. See what works for them that might work for you.

Reactions: csmullins89

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Skip the AF. Just use a plain olde STP air filter. Get 3, and toss the extras under the back seat.

A set of Cooper STT's on the smallest wheels that clear your calipers. I prefer aluminum Methods, Racelines, etc. etc. Add a set of tire claws for slick clay stucks.

Hold off on the RTT unless your certain. East coast is best with a ground tent IMO. Bundutec makes a very nice RTT though.

ScottEtkin

Rank VI
Launch Member

World Traveler I

Boise, ID, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Etkin
Member #

All good advice on here. Number one thing is to make sure your vehicle is mechanically sound. Last thing you need is a breakdown while in the middle of nowhere. Try and connect with a local group for ride outs so you can learn some basics and build relationships. To me it's all about the people and less about the bells and whistles on the rig. Most, if not all, stock 4x4 vehicles can handle 90+% of what is out there.

Reactions: csmullins89