Riverside California
First Name
Lawrence
Last Name
Hill
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
This is very true. I grew up screaming through the desert on my 450. Whole new world. They are lifting and manufacturing a specific rack for me. It should be ready this Thursday. then trying to decide on tires. I was told a good tire for the rover would be BFG All Terrain T/A KO2’s. 32” tires.

Attachments

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Welcome.

Fabulous capable vehicle box stock. Tires, several brand names are great choices. The BFG KO2 is pretty widely used. Solid choice.

Reactions: Primeauxrover

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

Just take it slow until you learn what the vehicle can do, and when unsure just stop and look, have someone guide you . A shovel and some recovery boards are enough on most situations. Some cheap walkie talkie. See what you are comfortable with and in time, if you absolutely fell the need you can think of other things.
Tyres are essentials, good start with those. Many people spend months and sink in thousands before even doing 20 min off tarmac.. So just mount the tires and go have fun.

Reactions: 64Trvlr and Graeman

Dlnuckolls

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Shepherdsville, KY, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Nuckolls
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4WHV
Just take it slow until you learn what the vehicle can do, and when unsure just stop and look, have someone guide you . A shovel and some recovery boards are enough on most situations. Some cheap walkie talkie. See what you are comfortable with and in time, if you absolutely fell the need you can think of other things.
Tyres are essentials, good start with those. Many people spend months and sink in thousands before even doing 20 min off tarmac.. So just mount the tires and go have fun.
I agree, although I was more adventurous than some and buried mine to the headlights in mud my first trip out. An expensive mistake I would avoid if you can! It cost me an alternator and a starter. But after that I have been a bit more cautious and have had some great fun!

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Welcome to the sandbox! I am in San Dimas, if you want to get out let me know. Your disco will go more place than my 2500 will.

Reactions: Podog4674

EXPO_D1

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Bakersfield, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Coyle
Member #

GREAT rig choice!

Bfg ko2's are a great tire for mostly highway and some light/medium trails. I've loved my set as they have taken me far.

As for as learning to 4x4 get seat time and go with groups while you learn your vehicle and your skills. start off slowly and you'll travel far.

nmorpus

Rank IV

Advocate III

Portland, OR, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Morpus
Member #

GREAT rig choice!

Bfg ko2's are a great tire for mostly highway and some light/medium trails. I've loved my set as they have taken me far.

As for as learning to 4x4 get seat time and go with groups while you learn your vehicle and your skills. start off slowly and you'll travel far.
I definitely agree on the KO2s. Best tire I’ve run on my 4Runner so far.

Podog4674

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Riverside California
First Name
Lawrence
Last Name
Hill
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Do any of you guys know anything about the Goodyear Wrangler all-terrain adventure with Kevlar tires I just bought five, to include the spare and I bought 32s for my Dico2 and I put them on Monday.

Podog4674

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Riverside California
First Name
Lawrence
Last Name
Hill
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
@EXPO_D1 I decided to go with the Goodyear Wrangler all-terrain adventure tires with Kevlar. I’ve got a set of five for $1100 and then $150 rebate. Right now I’m realizing that I’ve spent so much money trying to do everything fast it’s just crazy. So now I’ve got to watch the budget.

Reactions: Dlnuckolls

Dlnuckolls

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Shepherdsville, KY, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Nuckolls
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4WHV
@EXPO_D1 I decided to go with the Goodyear Wrangler all-terrain adventure tires with Kevlar. I’ve got a set of five for $1100 and then $150 rebate. Right now I’m realizing that I’ve spent so much money trying to do everything fast it’s just crazy. So now I’ve got to watch the budget.
Overlanding or off-roading can be an expensive hobby, but not skimping on tires is a choice you will not regret!

Podog4674

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Riverside California
First Name
Lawrence
Last Name
Hill
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Overlanding or off-roading can be an expensive hobby, but not skimping on tires is a choice you will not regret!

Podog4674

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Riverside California
First Name
Lawrence
Last Name
Hill
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
That’s what I’m thinking. Tires are everything. If your feet go bad, the body is screwed.

Reactions: Dlnuckolls

Podog4674

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Riverside California
First Name
Lawrence
Last Name
Hill
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
What are you guys thoughts on Cleghorn. Is that a pretty mellow trail for a beginner? I checked through this site and it says it is. As long as it’s nothing crazy I think it in my regular make it.