Advocate III

Michigan
First Name
Kurt
Last Name
Struss
Member #

Go with the Jeep!!!!!

Seriously thats a tough decision. Jeep resale is amazing. But H3 with a brand new engine and tons of work might not be too bad. Have them add a few extras you want and go with the deal!

Z
Thanks, yeah I’m sticking with it. They are just trying to ensure I have no issues and new engine is better than new head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Zdorf

Zdorf

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dublin, CA, USA
First Name
Zak
Last Name
Zuehlsdorf
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Thanks, yeah I’m sticking with it. They are just trying to ensure I have no issues and new engine is better than new head.

Agree man. Good call. Enjoy the ride!! Have them put on skid plates to protect the new engine and underneath!!!!

Z

Reactions: Kurt Struss

Kurt Struss

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Michigan
First Name
Kurt
Last Name
Struss
Member #

The new engine is here so the swap will be this week. I shined her up for the appt.

Kurt Struss

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Michigan
First Name
Kurt
Last Name
Struss
Member #

Agree man. Good call. Enjoy the ride!! Have them put on skid plates to protect the new engine and underneath!!!!

Z
All the plates are there and ready for install after swap. Can’t wait!

Kurt Struss

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Michigan
First Name
Kurt
Last Name
Struss
Member #

Jealous!! I'd like some plates for my Hoe but they are hard to come by....
I was fortunate as it came with it. The mechanic took them off and set them aside in anticipation of the swap.

Kurt Struss

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Michigan
First Name
Kurt
Last Name
Struss
Member #

Well, the engine was installed on Tuesday and all seemed fine. The mechanic (Hummer mechanic) said I could come get it after he road tested it. I got a call later in the day and the new engine threw a rod. I can’t believe it. I really can’t. I’m ditching the Hummer and going back to some form of Jeep. Dealership gave me a new Grand Cherokee for our trip while they unwind this mess.

Zdorf

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dublin, CA, USA
First Name
Zak
Last Name
Zuehlsdorf
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Well, the engine was installed on Tuesday and all seemed fine. The mechanic (Hummer mechanic) said I could come get it after he road tested it. I got a call later in the day and the new engine threw a rod. I can’t believe it. I really can’t. I’m ditching the Hummer and going back to some form of Jeep. Dealership gave me a new Grand Cherokee for our trip while they unwind this mess.

Ah what the hell?? Tell them to give you a new Jeep for free!!!!

Joe Baker

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Yelm, Washington
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Baker
Member #

After having read the article in Expedition Portal on the Jeep Patriot, I purchased one in ‘14. It got me out there and into more stuff than I thought possible. The issue became space and reaching the limit of its capabilities. So, after the Wrangler I was looking at was sold before I made it to the dealership, my regular sales guy ( I have had Jeeps the last 20 years) showed me an ‘07 Hummer H3 which they had sold when they had the Hummer dealership.

I took it around for a few days and it really was like-new aside from basic service needs. So I bought it, trading in the Jeep.

Here are some pics of both the old Patriot and my NTM Hummer. We leave for the Badlands and points west July 14th. Oh, I need a good trail near the Badlands, Sage Creek?

That’s funny, I went from an H3 to a Jeep JKU Rubicon. I loved the H3 but the JKU is pretty epic. Have fun exploring with your new ride- congrats.

Kurt Struss

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Michigan
First Name
Kurt
Last Name
Struss
Member #

Time to head out! I’ll check in from the Badlands later today! Let’s what this Jeep can do.

Reactions: Zdorf and Jay's H3

Jay's H3

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler III

Long Beach, CA
Member #

Sorry to hear about your Hummer. We are a dying breed. Sometimes I think I should have bought a Jeep because the aftermarket parts are amazing. But so far I've really enjoyed my H3. I hope your Yellowstone trip is epic!

Sent from my VS995 using OB Talk mobile app

VDawg1115

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Oakland, CA
Member #

That’s a bummer about your H3, but the 5 cylinder engines were a hit or miss it seems, either troublesome or trouble free. Mine has the 5.3 V8, so basically I’ve never had any issue of any sort with the H3 despite pushing it harder than any other rig I’ve ever had (pathfinder, 4Runner, Sierra). It’s a lovely place to spend Highway Miles also

You’ll like the WK2 though, have seen them in action many times and they’re very capable, more spacious and powerful than the H3 also.

Kurt Struss

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Michigan
First Name
Kurt
Last Name
Struss
Member #

Update: the trip out west was amazing. I don’t use that word loosely. And now, after $12000 warranty work, the Hummer is returned to me. The tech who did all the work road and field tested my rig at my behest. I told him to test it as it was intended to be used. I’m happy to say there are no issues.

As such, I have committed and placed my badge on my Hummer. Here are some pics.

Attachments

VDawg1115

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Oakland, CA
Member #

You should join a Hummer forum as well. There are gonna be a few things you should address ASAP. Look at OutfitterDesign.com. You’ll want the front differential bushings and steering rack clamp. Having those two things will save you a lot of trouble later.

Update: the trip out west was amazing. I don’t use that word loosely. And now, after $12000 warranty work, the Hummer is returned to me. The tech who did all the work road and field tested my rig at my behest. I told him to test it as it was intended to be used. I’m happy to say there are no issues.

As such, I have committed and placed my badge on my Hummer. Here are some pics.

Kurt Struss

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Michigan
First Name
Kurt
Last Name
Struss
Member #

You should join a Hummer forum as well. There are gonna be a few things you should address ASAP. Look at OutfitterDesign.com. You’ll want the front differential bushings and steering rack clamp. Having those two things will save you a lot of trouble later.
Thanks. I’ll take a look.