Traveler III

Bellingham, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Greetings.
Its all going to depend on what your aspirations are. You have a good platform to start with; very capable and stout. If you carve out a style/primary terrain/goals for travel, many folks here will be able to chime in recommendations. Everyone skins their cat a little different and you'll get much more constructive feedback and advice the more specific you can be.

Start off with the basics (family rig/solo, minimalist/fully loaded, budget/no limitations, primary use, trail type, camping preference, etc.) and get as specific as you need (more specific the better).

Also consider checking with your regional community for ideas and inspiration for trips to hone in on your preferences.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

definitely following. The Square Box Suburban is one of my favourite vehicles. And it looks like a 2500.
plus plus. Looks like the body is in perfect shape for tight forestry roads.

Those things are bulletproof. Once all the mechanical is solid and reliable I'd just work on food storage, refrigeration and sleeping.

79burban

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Evant, Texas, United States
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

definitely following. The Square Box Suburban is one of my favourite vehicles. And it looks like a 2500.
plus plus. Looks like the body is in perfect shape for tight forestry roads.

Those things are bulletproof. Once all the mechanical is solid and reliable I'd just work on food storage, refrigeration and sleeping.
It’s got the 400 small block, and it’s a 3/4ton chassis, very little rust, just in all the main places, and only one big dent on the passenger side, needs new front floor pans, but over all there are no major problems that I have found yet

79burban

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

Well I’m a bit late posting about it, but I’ve replaced the valve cover gaskets, done some tweaks to the carburetor, and realized I have a TH350 transmission, so far its running well, still some minor things to work on

79burban

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

I know its been a while since I posted on here, been having aa bit of trouble finding the time to work on my rig, but a little update, it needs a transmission rebuild, and a few more oil leaks taken care of in the engine. The electrical is another thing, it has developed a short thats draining the battery, so I'm currently looking for that to fix.
Biggest thing right now is finding the time, roommate just had a baby, so I'm mostly helping here out with her little man, you know, priorities, will update again if something comes up

79burban

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

Well just finished the trans work, and the electrical is ao, just ended up with a bad battery,, haven't started on the engine yet, just getting parts together for that, its drivable as long as I keep an eye on the oil and temperatures, so right now just using it for short hunting trips

79burban

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

Hey everyone, I know it's been a while, still working on the suburban, turns out I still have electrical problems, still doesn't hold a charge for more than a few hours, needs a new carburetor, fuel inlet is stripped out and won't stay in place, so leaks pretty bad, have the whole top end pulled off, getting rid of the oil leaks in the up coming weeks, just have to replace all the gaskets, the get plugs, plug wires, and a new distributor cap, then have to get the timing cover replaced

79burban

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

Ok so quick update on the rig, engine is completely back together, but I'm having some trouble getting the timing set, anyone have any suggestions, I'm all ears and could really use the help

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I put the distributor in, pop it, and spin 180 degrees. I always put them in backwards.

79burban

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

I've rotated 180, still not firing, doesn't try to till you spin clockwise as far as it goes, but still isn't enough, also sounds like it could be firing on the exhaust stroke, just a lot of spitting and popping out of the exhaust, could I have put the harmonic balancer on backwards

Last edited:

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Might have to pull the valve cover, make sure cyl1 is at top dead center with the valves loose/closed and put the dist back in with the cap off. Make sure the rotor is pointing at 1.

Those darn hypoid gears are fun to get lined up.

79burban

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

Might have to pull the valve cover, make sure cyl1 is at top dead center with the valves loose/closed and put the dist back in with the cap off. Make sure the rotor is pointing at 1.

Those darn hypoid gears are fun to get lined up.
Might have to, took the top down to the block, and replaced the timing cover gasket, new carb, new distributor, etc., basically gave it a full overhaul, and this is the last thing that needs done to get it back on the road, and it's giving me a headache

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Could be firing order to.

At least it's popping, so you know the ignition is doing something.