First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Welcome from Arizona!
We have a lot of members and activity in Texas! I'm the Southwest Regional Director, so please feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions or need any assistance

Dillinger

Rank I

Contributor III

Hey everyone! Just wanted to introduce myself since I’m new here ! I look forward to setting something up and meeting local riders in the future View attachment 85561
Hey Mo - just joined and in HTX as well. I'm a Jeep dude but new to the camping/overlanding rig scene and anxious to do some trails around here... I have a few saved but been waiting for the weather to chill out.

Welding Goats

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Midland, TX, USA
First Name
Ronn
Last Name
Reeger
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRXB227
Hey Mo - just joined and in HTX as well. I'm a Jeep dude but new to the camping/overlanding rig scene and anxious to do some trails around here... I have a few saved but been waiting for the weather to chill out.

Good looking Jeep.

SmileyMo

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Texas

That’s a sweet Jeep!

I’ve been seeing a lot of posts about General Sams Offroad Park and Xtreme Offroad by Cypress , i think.

Have you been able to check those out yet?

Dillinger

Rank I

Contributor III

That’s a sweet Jeep!

I’ve been seeing a lot of posts about General Sams Offroad Park and Xtreme Offroad by Cypress , i think.

Have you been able to check those out yet?
Been to Hidden Falls but none of those... I hear all of the ones around us are pretty much mud holes. I found some great overland routes from forums and facebook groups that I put into Gaia and just need the time to go out!

SmileyMo

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Texas
Been to Hidden Falls but none of those... I hear all of the ones around us are pretty much mud holes. I found some great overland routes from forums and facebook groups that I put into Gaia and just need the time to go out!
Shoot, let me ! I’m not brave enough to venture on my own . We can help each other since we are both newbies [emoji23]

Dillinger

Rank I

Contributor III

For sure. Have you seen the Houston Overland and Texas Overland facebook groups? There's some good info and .gpx files for Gaia and GoogleMaps in there but you're right... I don't always want to venture off and get stuck alone. Been planning on hitting some forest trails or beach trails soon so let's figure something out when it stops raining and warms up!

Reactions: jovrland

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

If ever in north east texas dfw area and want to run some real trails not the off road park stuff let me know, the wife and i are always ready to go on a adventure. The county roads and farm to market up here can get pretty wild and i know most of the legal oklahoma trails.

Reactions: SmileyMo

SmileyMo

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Texas
For sure. Have you seen the Houston Overland and Texas Overland facebook groups? There's some good info and .gpx files for Gaia and GoogleMaps in there but you're right... I don't always want to venture off and get stuck alone. Been planning on hitting some forest trails or beach trails soon so let's figure something out when it stops raining and warms up!
I haven’t ! Might have to check them out. I just got back from a brief trip to south padre . Wish Galveston had beach access too. IMG_2459.JPGIMG_2463.JPG

SmileyMo

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Texas
If ever in north east texas dfw area and want to run some real trails not the off road park stuff let me know, the wife and i are always ready to go on a adventure. The county roads and farm to market up here can get pretty wild and i know most of the legal oklahoma trails.
Ill be headed up this summer! Gfs brother is getting married so we’ve got a few trips planned out .

RoboCop

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Katy, TX
Member #

I don't believe anyone mentioned Sam Houston National Forest. Plenty of tame dirt roads but if you drive around enough, you can find a wild trail or 2. There's a great camping spot that shows up on Gaia as "End of the Road Spot." It's at the end of FR 248, the last 1/2 mile or so of which is a seasonal road closed from mid-September through mid-March. Sites fill up pretty well on nice weekends and almost every time I go, I have to begin setting up camp by cleaning trash. Still a great spot that requires no permit and no fee. I've attached a photo from one of the campsites.

Attachments

SmileyMo

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Texas
Got any trips planned out? We haven't been having the best of luck with weather lately lol also, jealous of the D2 , I've always wanted one.
Hey bud. Slowly but surely am going to start building my D2 into a OL rig. And From Houston also well Pasadena side lol.

CBASSHD

Rank 0

Traveler I

Houston, TX, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Barron
Lol . My D2 is a work in progress. I wanna get a land cruiser 80 series. But send me a PM and maybe we can get together and plan something in the near future