Moreno Valley, Ca
First Name
Steven
Last Name
DeLong
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7DTH
I like the Dark Responsive Official...the white background was to bright for me. On the other hand I am with @Steve...the member info is only a click away if you need to really see more of ones info. I do miss seeing location though...that way I could see who was in my area and posting...especially if they are in the new member area. I always try to reach out to the new members around me and at least say hello.

**update** I like the thread control along the top. Now I don't need to use the "back to the top" link at the bottom of each page.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Oh, Don't like it! To me, there's way too much emphasis on the member's profile panel on the left, and the text area is much smaller for a given size window. All the info on likes, posts, etc. is available with a quick tap on their avatar or name now.

Regardless, I'll still be using the light background default style anyway, because my eyes hurt if I use a dark background format. I simply don't participate on any forum that doesn't offer a black text on light background option. I do wish that the member number would be visible on the default style, though, because that's one thing that doesn't show in the pop-up profile.

Just my two cents...
Hey Steve - totally get the theme is not for you, but addressed some of the things you mentioned.

M

Reactions: Steve

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
I like the Dark Responsive Official...the white background was to bright for me. On the other hand I am with @Steve...the member info is only a click away if you need to really see more of ones info. I do miss seeing location though...that way I could see who was in my area and posting...especially if they are in the new member area. I always try to reach out to the new members around me and at least say hello.

**update** I like the thread control along the top. Now I don't need to use the "back to the top" link at the bottom of each page.
Location! Good catch! Will Add.

M

Reactions: NightCrawler

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

I am not very techie and do not have a smart phone - if I did I would most likely crush it once a week or lose it.

Anyway I am a member of about 8 or 9 forums and the OB forum format is by far the BEST format of any I have seen or visited in my years of information searches! Easy to read for me and easy to navigate.

Only thing I still have to work on is figuring out how to search for things correctly.

Reactions: Michael

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
I am not very techie and do not have a smart phone - if I did I would most likely crush it once a week or lose it.

Anyway I am a member of about 8 or 9 forums and the OB forum format is by far the BEST format of any I have seen or visited in my years of information searches! Easy to read for me and easy to navigate.

Only thing I still have to work on is figuring out how to search for things correctly.
Awesome Daryl, glad to hear it! If you feel brave, you can choose the OLB Dark Official theme, and try it out (Instructions in first post). I'd be interested to know if you find it as user friendly.

Reactions: Daryl 32

John D.

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

porterville, ca
First Name
John
Last Name
Duffy
Member #

Hi everyone,

I would like to get your feedback on a new theme and style for the forums. We will be making this new theme the default theme soon. You will still be able to use the current theme, or the default theme. We take usability and readability seriously, and this has gone through quite a bit of iteration, but it needs your input!

Why are we updating?
  1. We are rebuilding the Mobile Apps and this theme is compatible
  2. Better responsive design
  3. More readable and usable interface
  4. Additional features to expand with our community
I'd love to hear of any usability issues you have or any suggestions for better visibility. The theme remains dark, since we received the feedback on multiple occasions that our members are reading the forums at night while exploring epic locations :)

To try out the new theme, go to the bottom of this page and you will see the currently selected theme. Tap the theme name, and change it to "OLB Dark Responsive Official". If you prefer a light theme, choose "Default Style".

This is a bit off topic here, so this thread will find its way to the "Off Topic" or "Behind the Scenes" forum in a few days.

As always, thank you for the support!

Michael
For some reason mine has always been dark responsive n I am used to it now. Keep it says I.

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

Awesome Daryl, glad to hear it! If you feel brave, you can choose the OLB Dark Official theme, and try it out (Instructions in first post). I'd be interested to know if you find it as user friendly.
Mine has always been Dark Responsive also and I have always liked darker backgrounds with white copy on my screen. Much easier on these older eyes. LOL

Reactions: Michael and John D.

craigR

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mt Dora, FL
Member #

I also voted OLB Dark Response. It was the default when I joined a couple weeks back, and I instantaneously enjoyed the forum layout and theme. Most of my viewing is in the evening, and the darker theme is fantastic when coupled with lowering the brightness. That said, I wouldn't be disappointed if forced to use OLB DR Official.

In general, there's enough member info displayed to be helpful, while simultaneously leaving out things that generate typical forum hierarchies, like Join Date and Post Count. Kudos for that, btw. I've read forum boards regularly for nearly 15 years, and this is by far my favorite layout/theme that I've come across. Not to mention, the lack of third party advertising, what a great decision, and one I'll happily support monetarily. Cheers.

Last edited:

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
It's a hard pick for me between the Dark Responsive and Dark Responsive Official. They both have their own advantages, but I like Official better I think. It really pops out at you and I really like that it's still dark. I also like the thread controls on the top.
If you have specific features of "Dark Responsive" I can try to pull them over. I will be keeping Dark Responsive as an option, so it will not be going away, but we will be focused on developing and extending "Official" so we want to address as many concerns as possible. Cheers!

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL

Also, streamlined and thinned the user card on the side. Better?

Reactions: Terry Pickens

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
I also voted OLB Dark Response. It was the default when I joined a couple weeks back, and I instantaneously enjoyed the forum layout and theme. Most of my viewing is in the evening, and the darker theme is fantastic when coupled with lowering the brightness. That said, I wouldn't be disappointed if forced to use OLB DR Official.

In general, there's enough member info displayed to be helpful, while simultaneously leaving out things that generate typical forum hierarchies, like Join Date and Post Count. Kudos for that, btw. I've read forum boards regularly for nearly 15 years, and this is by far my favorite layout/theme that I've come across. Not to mention, the lack of third party advertising, what a great decision, and one I'll happily support monetarily. Cheers.
That's great to hear! Thank you! The OLB Dark Responsive will stay as an option. We'll continue to refine "Official" and this forum thread is VERY helpfull to make it as good as it can be. Thanks again!

NightCrawler

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Moreno Valley, Ca
First Name
Steven
Last Name
DeLong
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7DTH
Ok @Michael...I have a new item I have noticed. If I roll over the top menu and the list drops down...it stays even when I move the cursor back to the page I was on thus blocking whatever is underneath the dropdown list. Is there a way to make it collapse after moving the cursor away.

***update***
I think It sticking only if I am typing a reply...it hasn't done it again...I will keep an eye out if it happens again and try to narrow it done better.

Last edited:

HoneyBadgerXJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Irvine, CA, USA
First Name
Joey
Last Name
Treadwell
Member #

Ok @Michael...I have a new item I have noticed. If I roll over the top menu and the list drops down...it stays even when I move the cursor back to the page I was on thus blocking whatever is underneath the dropdown list. Is there a way to make it collapse after moving the cursor away.

***update***
I think It sticking only if I am typing a reply...it hasn't done it again...I will keep an eye out if it happens again and try to narrow it done better.
Just click anywhere on the page and it should go away. It's honestly a pet peeve of mine when websites do that lol. I would rather it went away when I moved the cursor away from it.

JusCampin

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Roseville, California
Member #

I like the "Official" theme. One thing I'd adjust is the white text on the yellow background in the in the banners and buttons. Makes it hard to read. A dark shade of gray for the text would help.

The only other thing would be the "Overland Bound" text in the header. Can the color be changed to make it pop?

Otherwise it's looking really good. Keep it up!

**Edit** After voting: I don't like the bright red results bar. Seems kind of harsh. The responsive colors look much better.

Last edited: