New Nissan Frontier...

• HTML tutorial

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

Just saw a t.v. commercial for the re-design.

I would have thought this to be big news with the Nissan people, but it's been kinda quiet.

Maybe because no dealers actually have any vehicles right now?

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

Looks exactly what I expected the 4th gen Tacoma to be without the Toyota trapezoid grille. Strong profile, low beltline... I honestly love the way it looks.

Only sticking point is you've migrated from a platform old enough to drive itself rooted in the days that Nissan made a very capable, reliable pickup/SUV and are now into modern Nissan territory... I would definitely not buy one until it's had a few years given the way other Nissan vehicles have been in the past 5-10 years.

Reactions: Arailt

Crusader

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Texas
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Wilcox
Service Branch
USAF
The Frontier uses the same engine as last year.

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

My neighbor works at a Nissan dealer and he drove one home yesterday. Really sharp. I'm not a Nissan guy, but they look great in person and on paper. Great prices compared to the Tacoma.

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

The Frontier uses the same engine as last year.
Which is still a newer design but either way, I mean the quality of the rest of the vehicle is what Nissan has left to be desired. They have been targeting a specific market segment that demands cheap cars to be financed by anyone, not quality vehicles that will last 15+ years. A 300k engine is meaningless if the rest of the truck falls apart around it in a decade.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Looks exactly what I expected the 4th gen Tacoma to be without the Toyota trapezoid grille. Strong profile, low beltline... I honestly love the way it looks.

Only sticking point is you've migrated from a platform old enough to drive itself rooted in the days that Nissan made a very capable, reliable pickup/SUV and are now into modern Nissan territory... I would definitely not buy one until it's had a few years given the way other Nissan vehicles have been in the past 5-10 years.
I've been following the development of the '22 Frontier from the getgo. While it's a new truck on the outside, and inside the cab, pretty much everything else has been out for a bit.

Engine/Trans combo debuted in the '20 model year. The frame is almost identical to the previous generation (which is not a bad thing).

I believe it uses the same suspension geometry as the previous generation (according to All Dogs Offroad, who's working on a 3in lift for it).

That being said, I have a 2013 Pro-4x that I bought about 6 months ago, and I have ZERO regrets. I'll give it a few years before even considering getting a new one.

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

I've been following the development of the '22 Frontier from the getgo. While it's a new truck on the outside, and inside the cab, pretty much everything else has been out for a bit.

Engine/Trans combo debuted in the '20 model year. The frame is almost identical to the previous generation (which is not a bad thing).

I believe it uses the same suspension geometry as the previous generation (according to All Dogs Offroad, who's working on a 3in lift for it).

That being said, I have a 2013 Pro-4x that I bought about 6 months ago, and I have ZERO regrets. I'll give it a few years before even considering getting a new one.
I was so damn close to buying a 2017 Pro-4X but they just would not deal on it. It just felt like a simple rugged truck to me and I loved everything about it. I just couldn't swallow paying MSRP for it when even Toyota recognized the down market and was dealing on Tacomas.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I was so damn close to buying a 2017 Pro-4X but they just would not deal on it. It just felt like a simple rugged truck to me and I loved everything about it. I just couldn't swallow paying MSRP for it when even Toyota recognized the down market and was dealing on Tacomas.
This isn't necessarily a bad thing. The old Frontier is a solid platform, so why bother with a complete redesign of the frame is it's a solid starting point.

They took that solid base, completely reworked the suspension, cab mounts, and a few other areas, and put a completely redesigned body on top. And gave it more power. Seems like a great rework, and from what I hear, they hit it out of the park. Now all we need to do is wait and see if it's as reliable as the VQ40 with the 5 speed in the previous generation.

Reactions: LostWoods

Mojavewanderer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Steward I

Hemet, CA, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Caldon
Member #

The new frontier actually looks pretty good. Automakers seem to have been competing with each other to make the ugliest truck lately. My local dealer has about a dozen on the lot, which really surprised me, all the new car lots are empty. The Chevy dealer next door has 7 new cars total.