Enthusiast II

Citrus County, Florida, United States
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Becker
Member #

Hello All,

I've discovered overlanding while on my current deployment and with retirement approaching and some much needed R&R I've came here for any tips anyone may have. I have an older rig, a 2002 avalanche Z71 that's in great condition that I'm using. I recently purchased a tent for the bed and a winch plus a 3 inch lift and some camping gear. Anyway tips are much appreciated, thanks all!

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Welcome to the campfire! I sound like you have the basics covered. Now get out there and figure out what else you need or want. You should spend your money on the things that fit your style, not what looks great hanging off the rig.

Reactions: SSG Becker

Michael Golden

Rank VI

Explorer I

Tampa Fl
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Golden
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4BCN
Service Branch
U.S. Army
Welcome to the Outbound Community Daniel. I see you are in Citrus County Florida. Is that where you are planning to retire? We have a few decent places around central Florida where people can go to relax. I'm in Tampa so we aren't too far apart, so we can possibly get something going. My email is mwgolden3@verizon.net if you want to bounce some ideas back and forth.

SSG Becker

Rank III

Enthusiast II

First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Becker
Member #

Welcome to the Outbound Community Daniel. I see you are in Citrus County Florida. Is that where you are planning to retire? We have a few decent places around central Florida where people can go to relax. I'm in Tampa so we aren't too far apart, so we can possibly get something going. My email is mwgolden3@verizon.net if you want to bounce some ideas back and forth.
I will definitely do that, I'm currently still deployed but I'll be back in about 60 days. The truck is near ready and I'm just looking for a few things that are a necessity

SSG Becker

Rank III

Enthusiast II

First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Becker
Member #

Welcome to the campfire! I sound like you have the basics covered. Now get out there and figure out what else you need or want. You should spend your money on the things that fit your style, not what looks great hanging off the rig.
I have a whole list of necessities that I need and an idea of where to put them. I may switch to a roof tent instead of the bed tent as that will take away all my storage

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I have a whole list of necessities that I need and an idea of where to put them. I may switch to a roof tent instead of the bed tent as that will take away all my storage
I use Rubber made Action Boxes for storage, The reason I say "get out there" so you can to think out what you want to kit out your rig with without spending your money.

Reactions: Michael Golden

Michael Golden

Rank VI

Explorer I

Tampa Fl
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Golden
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4BCN
Service Branch
U.S. Army
In Florida you cannot legally sleep in a vehicle or trailer at a dispersed site. Most of us use ground tents. That will save you a bunch starting out. We have plenty of time for that right now.

Reactions: ErKa

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello All,

I've discovered overlanding while on my current deployment and with retirement approaching and some much needed R&R I've came here for any tips anyone may have. I have an older rig, a 2002 avalanche Z71 that's in great condition that I'm using. I recently purchased a tent for the bed and a winch plus a 3 inch lift and some camping gear. Anyway tips are much appreciated, thanks all!
Welcome To Overland Bound
Our Rocky Mountain Director @Neal A. Tew also uses an avalanche for overlanding, you might send him a message to see what his has done to his.
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the Southeast Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Your Regional Director is @AdventureWithDanan
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Online Courses - Tread Lightly
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Hello All,

Welcome!

I have a one owner 2002 Chevrolet Avalanche myself. I love the looks I get on the high mountain passes when I'm leading a group of jeeps and toyotas.

Im mostly stock other than tires. It's amazing what it'll do if you disconnect the rear sway bar and loosen the front one. I do have the factory rear locker.

I keep my sleeping area made up in the back almost all summer long. I'm actually sitting in the truck now at the Overland Expo in colorado. I've spent the last two nights here thanks to Overland Bound.

SSG Becker

Rank III

Enthusiast II

First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Becker
Member #

Hello All,

Welcome!

I have a one owner 2002 Chevrolet Avalanche myself. I love the looks I get on the high mountain passes when I'm leading a group of jeeps and toyotas.

Im mostly stock other than tires. It's amazing what it'll do if you disconnect the rear sway bar and loosen the front one. I do have the factory rear locker.

I keep my sleeping area made up in the back almost all summer long. I'm actually sitting in the truck now at the Overland Expo in colorado. I've spent the last two nights here thanks to Overland Bound.
That's what I'm trying to do. Keep it nearly stock except for ground clearance. Did you get one of those avalanche tents for the back? I was looking for that shell they made for them years ago but can't seem to find one.

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
That's what I'm trying to do. Keep it nearly stock except for ground clearance. Did you get one of those avalanche tents for the back? I was looking for that shell they made for them years ago but can't seem to find one.
I do have one of the avalanche tents, but I haven't used it in years. It's more work than I want plus once it's setup you can't really go anywhere. Let me know if you'd like to try it.

I don't want to come across the wrong way here, but I'm not a fan of the toppers. I think I'd rather just have a Suburban.

I camp with all the panels on and the gate down. My bedding runs from the mid-gate to about a foot short of the tailgate. I have different configurations when the wife goes which is rare. I ultimately removed the back seats to gain a great deal of storage underneath and in front of the gate. Be sure to leave the windows open slightly to prevent condensation. I also have a homemade rack over the rear panels for bigger items I don't want inside. It's a little hokey, but I'm on a tight budget.

SSG Becker

Rank III

Enthusiast II

First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Becker
Member #

I do have one of the avalanche tents, but I haven't used it in years. It's more work than I want plus once it's setup you can't really go anywhere. Let me know if you'd like to try it.

I don't want to come across the wrong way here, but I'm not a fan of the toppers. I think I'd rather just have a Suburban.

I camp with all the panels on and the gate down. My bedding runs from the mid-gate to about a foot short of the tailgate. I have different configurations when the wife goes which is rare. I ultimately removed the back seats to gain a great deal of storage underneath and in front of the gate. Be sure to leave the windows open slightly to prevent condensation. I also have a homemade rack over the rear panels for bigger items I don't want inside. It's a little hokey, but I'm on a tight budget.
Now that I didn't think of at all. The bed of the avalanche is deeper than that of a normal truck. I could see some sleeping area in it now.

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Taucher-Chris

Rank I

Off-Road Ranger I

Forchheim, Bavaria, Germany
First Name
Christoph
Last Name
Franz
Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO9CF
Hi, i m used to driving an vw t4 syncro, self made camper until 2017 when i See an Nissan D22 with an Bimobil Husky camper. In 2020 i sold the 21 years old Nissan and bought an 2019 Nissan d23 with 3 cm lift an rebuild the tray for the camper.

I'm 33 years old, German, married, one dog. I'm not an offroader but i like to seelittel people on Vacations, so i think i'm an overlander, driving narrow gravel roads to enjoy "lonyles" with my Familie

First Popper Test Starts 14 days ago when we went to Sardegna, it performt so well that i have little to Change after this vacations.

Why a big camper? Europe can be cold and we like to go Skie and Snowboard in the Winter, OCR and Diving the hole year. A Camper with a warmwater inbuilt Shower and the oportunity to life inside for long rainy days is a thing for us.

kentrik

Rank 0

Contributor I

Utah
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Christensen
Heyyyy! Another Avalanche owner! I have an 07 LT2, have been driving it since late February, and am really bummed that they got discontinued in 2013, haha. I feel like with the exception of it having little aftermarket support, it's a great platform for this sort of thing! What all mods do you have planned for it?