Rank III

Enthusiast II

Hilversum, Netherlands
First Name
Jan
Last Name
David
Member #

Thanks, Rick! I'll for sure check out the upcoming meets.

Rig is definitely an overstatement, but here's a picture of the Saab. :smile: It was only sold in a few countries, and I believe only around 150k were ever built. It was designed after GM had bought Saab, and is based on the GMT360 platform that it shares with the Chevy Trailblazer, GMC Envoy, and a few others. And best part, since it's a Chevy it comes with a 5.3l Vortec V8 engine. :smilingimp: Sadly it's been difficult and expensive to get parts in Europe. And while it would certainly be possible, building out the car into a travel rig requires custom work for which I have neither the tools nor the skills.

IMG_1696 (1).jpeg

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hello Jan and welcome to OverlandBound!

Thank you for your detailed introduction.

As Rick has already written, some meetings are planned. Check out the RallyPoints please.

We also have a virtual Campfire every 14 days that was created by the C19 situation. This allows us to exchange ideas without a face to face meeting, which helps reduce contact in terms of C19 action. Join us next time if you like!

If you have any questions, for example, about preparing your tout or worthwhile destinations, feel free to get in touch. I am happy to help.

Have fun and enjoy,

Björn

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hi folks,

I've introduced myself over at the new members section, but wanted to say Hi here as well.

The short version of a longer story is that I've had a few rough months, which made me realize that I need to find a better balance in life. I've always planned to eventually explore Europe, go hiking or mountain biking, and pick up my photography hobby again. But with the experience of the last few months behind me, I've realized that I can't wait any longer. I have an opportunity coming up to take some time off, and I want to use that to get some distance, ground myself in nature, and then ask myself a few hard questions about what changes I need to make in my life.

I'm a German living in the Netherlands, but I've not seen much of Europe yet. I also haven't done much traveling yet in general, and I don't think that I ever went camping. With winter coming up, the short-term goal is to take it easy and start with a few multi-day trips around the Netherlands and maybe Germany. Nothing fancy, just some time alone on the road and outdoors, probably staying in hostels or hotels until the weather gets better. Next year, if time and budget permit it, I would love to spend a few weeks exploring Scandinavia or Iberia. And try out this camping thing...

My current "rig" is a Saab 9-7X, which is essentially a re-badged Chevy Trailblazer. But for a variety of reasons, some of which are logical and some of which are emotional, I am considering upgrading the car to something like a Jeep Cherokee, Land Cruiser 90 or 120, or something similar.

Hope we'll have a chance to meet once COVID gets better. Stay safe out there!
Hello Jan,

I already said welcome at the new members start here topic. But a warm welcome here as well.
There are some events coming up soon, so join us there.
I live in the Netherlands as well and if you are interested I can show you much of the Netherlands you wouldnt have thought of.
So, if you like, just contact me and I guess we can arrange stuff.

Have fun here and see you on a track or event.

Greetings from Robert

Reactions: 4wdtravel

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Rig is definitely an overstatement, but here's a picture of the Saab. :smile: It was only sold in a few countries, and I believe only around 150k were ever built. It was designed after GM had bought Saab, and is based on the GMT360 platform that it shares with the Chevy Trailblazer, GMC Envoy, and a few others. And best part, since it's a Chevy it comes with a 5.3l Vortec V8 engine. :smilingimp: Sadly it's been difficult and expensive to get parts in Europe. And while it would certainly be possible, building out the car into a travel rig requires custom work for which I have neither the tools nor the skills.

View attachment 216302
For builds I am always willing to help out.
I have the tools, the "skills", the place and time for that. And I know one or two good shops to get stuff from.

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Voth
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E

View attachment 216302
Okay, learned something new today. I did not know GM marketed that under the Saab name. A rarity for sure. V8 - yeah, I’d like that! Looks like you have a lot of room in there. I can see the parts problem, having had some US vehicles myself in the past. But still, you can overland in anything so that’s as good a rig as any!

We’ll see you at a meet soon I bet. Take care until then.

Reactions: El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE

View attachment 216302

Hi Jan,
I can imagine that it is difficult to get parts for it in Europe. But it is a good basis. Because the main thing is that you have fun with the vehicle. For the first trips I would just put a mattress and sleeping bag in the back, a few boxes with equipment securely lashed (always pay attention to load security!), maybe a fridge and off you go. On these first trips you will gain experience. What fits for you, what does not, etc.? It's best to write this down while you're on the road. And then you look and find out what you really need.
Enjoy!
Björn

Reactions: NotGumby

4wdtravel

Rank 0

Contributor I

Hoofddorp, North Holland, Netherlands
First Name
Pete
Last Name
Damhs
So, is this the place to show my face? New to this community while driving for some years. Currently doing winter maintenance to my 1975, series 3, 88”, light weight Land Rover. Based close to Amsterdam Airport Schiphol, in the Netherlands.

Attachments

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
So, is this the place to show my face? New to this community while driving for some years. Currently doing winter maintenance to my 1975, series 3, 88”, light weight Land Rover. Based close to Amsterdam Airport Schiphol, in the Netherlands.

Hi Pete and welcome to OverlandBound!

Nice Landys!!!

Hope to meet you on some trails one day. There are some meetups planned in Europe in future. Check out the RallyPoints please.

We also have a virtual Campfire every 2 weeks. You will find the details also in The Rally Points. Join us next time if you like!

If you have any questions, just get in touch. I am happy to help.

Have fun,

Björn

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hello Pete,

Welcome to the Forum, but most of all welcome to the community.

If I can help with questions, and providing info I am happy to do so.

Just go to the Europe section of this forum to find more specific info about Europe.

You will find nearly everything on the forum in generall about Overlanding. So just dive in and have fun.

For meet ups and trips, go here and find people to join on events.

Events Archive - Overland Bound

Join us also in the whatsapp group for Mid Europe and our Facebook page.

Overland Bound - Mid Europe

Europe Overland Bound

Enjoy your stay here and I hope to see you somewhere out on a track/event.

Greetings from Robert

Advocate III

Herford, Deutschland
First Name
Orkan
Last Name
Seewald
Member #

Here are now my introduction to the Mid Europe Sektion :blush:
My Name is Orkan i´m from Germany.

Pictures first:
Bildschirmfoto 2021-11-26 um 17.58.14.pngBildschirmfoto 2021-11-26 um 17.56.34.pngBildschirmfoto 2021-11-26 um 17.56.44.pngBildschirmfoto 2021-11-26 um 17.57.26.pngBildschirmfoto 2021-11-26 um 17.56.27.pngBildschirmfoto 2021-11-26 um 17.58.55.pngBildschirmfoto 2021-11-26 um 17.57.08.png

Rig: 2006 - Ford E350 - Super Duty - 6.0 Diesel - Bulletproof - 4x4 by UJoint - Poptop CCV
I buy this Van 2020 in Poland and work since them to make this to an Overland Rig. New Interieur with Kitchen and Hob, Heater, new elektrik, New Rims and Tires, New Box on the Back with Planache Grill, LPG Gas Tank for cooking, Roofrack, Solar etc. All is DIY. Unfortunately we are still not finished.

Overlanding Experience Background:
My wife and i travel since 1999 trought Europe. Not fulltime but we travel every holiday when the Kids have no school. First with Car, than Vans, RV´s, and finaly a Caravan. In September 2019 we buy the first 4x4, a VW T5 Seikel, we put a lot of money in this thing to convert it into a Overland Rig. But it was to small and the Offroad properties are not so good. So we decide to change to the E350. It was the right decision. :blush:

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hi Orkan,

Also welcome you here to Overland Bound.

Glad you found your way to us. And great that you've already signed up for next year's Spring Meetup.

By the way, you live very close to the area where I grew up (Lippe). A very beautiful area where you can do and discover a lot. That´s why many people spend their vacations there.

Have a nice weekend and greetings,
Bjoern

Reactions: nurmalkurzraus

Advocate III

Herford, Deutschland
First Name
Orkan
Last Name
Seewald
Member #

Hi Orkan,

Also welcome you here to Overland Bound.

Glad you found your way to us. And great that you've already signed up for next year's Spring Meetup.

By the way, you live very close to the area where I grew up (Lippe). A very beautiful area where you can do and discover a lot. That´s why many people spend their vacations there.

Have a nice weekend and greetings,
Bjoern
Realy? I know this Area, we go many years a lot of MTB Riding on the Hermannshöhne Trails. The whole Teuto Area is nice for Hiking an Biking

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Realy? I know this Area, we go many years a lot of MTB Riding on the Hermannshöhne Trails. The whole Teuto Area is nice for Hiking an Biking
Yes, it is a wonderful area. I was very active there with the mountain bike, but that was more than 20 years ago...

Reactions: nurmalkurzraus

wilderwhere

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Hilversum, Netherlands
First Name
Jan
Last Name
David
Member #

Here are now my introduction to the Mid Europe Sektion :blush:
My Name is Orkan i´m from Germany.

Pictures first:
Bildschirmfoto 2021-11-26 um 17.58.14.pngBildschirmfoto 2021-11-26 um 17.56.34.pngBildschirmfoto 2021-11-26 um 17.56.44.pngBildschirmfoto 2021-11-26 um 17.57.26.pngBildschirmfoto 2021-11-26 um 17.56.27.pngBildschirmfoto 2021-11-26 um 17.58.55.pngBildschirmfoto 2021-11-26 um 17.57.08.png

Rig: 2006 - Ford E350 - Super Duty - 6.0 Diesel - Bulletproof - 4x4 by UJoint - Poptop CCV
I buy this Van 2020 in Poland and work since them to make this to an Overland Rig. New Interieur with Kitchen and Hob, Heater, new elektrik, New Rims and Tires, New Box on the Back with Planache Grill, LPG Gas Tank for cooking, Roofrack, Solar etc. All is DIY. Unfortunately we are still not finished.

Overlanding Experience Background:
My wife and i travel since 1999 trought Europe. Not fulltime but we travel every holiday when the Kids have no school. First with Car, than Vans, RV´s, and finaly a Caravan. In September 2019 we buy the first 4x4, a VW T5 Seikel, we put a lot of money in this thing to convert it into a Overland Rig. But it was to small and the Offroad properties are not so good. So we decide to change to the E350. It was the right decision. :blush:
Hi Orkan!

Awesome looking rig. Love the Ford E's. Can't wait to see it live.

kMikaZu

Rank IV

Explorer I

Antwerpen, Antwerp, Belgium
First Name
Mikael
Last Name
Janssens
Member #

Looking for new friends in Mid-Europe, Belgium! I have a 4x4 VW T6 van and I look forward to meet new people with the same spirit. Goals? Working together on upgrades, exchange experiences, go out in the wild together (weekends or more).
Greetings! Mika.

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Looking for new friends in Mid-Europe, Belgium! I have a 4x4 VW T6 van and I look forward to meet new people with the same spirit. Goals? Working together on upgrades, exchange experiences, go out in the wild together (weekends or more).
Greetings! Mika.
Welcome and enjoy.
Driving together is looking at the rally points.
Upgrading together is just drop by and we start working.

Enjoy your stay here.

Reactions: PaytenD