Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque NM
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Raether
Member #

I think I figured out the GPX thing. Hope it works.

GPX viewer

GPX viewer

GPX viewer

GPX viewer

Thank you very much for sharing your route. I actually had something similar routed out on North Star Mesa road. But I was hoping copy your route if you don't mind. Are there any sketchy or impassable sections of the road I should know about before heading out on this trek you shared.

This longer distance trip planning aint no joke when it comes to fuel planning. I'm used to driving to a location and camping, biking or hiking from there. Ive never done a multiple day trek like this so it will be a bit of a learning curve.

Last edited:

FireMedicPQ1

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5PCB
Thank you very much for sharing your route. I actually had something similar routed out on North Star Mesa road. But I was hoping copy your route if you don't mind. Are there any sketchy or impassable sections of the road I should know about before heading out on this trek you shared.

This longer distance trip planning aint no joke when it comes to fuel planning. I'm used to driving to a location and camping, biking or hiking from there. Ive never done a multiple day trek like this so it will be a bit of a learning curve.
The road is really mild. I didn't have to engage 4WD and I towed an off-road Teardrrop trailer. It was a good route. Some washboards, a few minor washouts, and some skinny and steep sections, but totally passable with a stock truck. We were able to make it from Mimbres (there's a minimal fuel station there), up to the Cliff Dwellings, back to the N. Star Mesa Road, and all the way north to Socorro without needing to use our spare fuel (I had taken 10-gals). I did about 16 MPG during the trip. Amazing scenery, not heavily traveled. You won't regret the trip. We will be back to explore some more in the future. When we were planning the trip, I found this video
It is pretty accurate on how the road conditions. Just make sure you track weather for potential rain and snow, because there are parts at altitude and numerous water crossings (less than two feet deep when we passed).

Utilityman

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque NM
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Raether
Member #

Thanks for the good info. Im a little higher than stock on my 4Runner. I'm thinking I should be ok if the water crossings are tame.

Brian Glendenning

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Socorro, NM
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Glendenning
Member #

I finally did a route through North Star Mesa (between Gila and Aldo Leopold Wildernesses) and Bear Trap Canyon this weekend. Beautiful drive, about 130 miles, about 30 on pavement, nothing difficult (although I drive in 4WD off pavement, 2WD would have been fine). My route is at:

We camped at Lower Black Canyon campground for two nights - lovely spot and we had it to ourselves. It's not that common to camp by running water in NM.IMG_1015.jpeg

fixiecory

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Albuquerque
Member #

I have a few questions. :)

What is your set up and what have you tried?

Also, what kind of antenna?

Do you have an in-line meter or using a built in meter? Do you have one that can measure reflected power?

It's been years since I tuned a CB setup. I'm partial to K-40 antennas myself. I found them to work really well and easy to tune. They also had a good ground plane even with magnetic antenna base like I used at the time. I'm happy to try and dust off the mental cobwebs and see if I can offer some help here if you'd like.
Sorry for the late response! I have a fairly cheap uniden radio with a fire ring cable going to a fire stick 2 foot antenna. I bought an inexpensive inline meter from amazon and am using that to test SWR. I think there is a grounding issue somewhere, but I haven’t had too much time to mess with it lately. Your input would be appreciated!

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Sorry for the late response! I have a fairly cheap uniden radio with a fire ring cable going to a fire stick 2 foot antenna. I bought an inexpensive inline meter from amazon and am using that to test SWR. I think there is a grounding issue somewhere, but I haven’t had too much time to mess with it lately. Your input would be appreciated!
I know you weren't asking for my input.....but I will offer info anyways. :tonguewink:
A good way to check to see if a poor ground is the problem is to take a 108" of wire, strip one end and attach it to the bare metal of the bracket. If you were using regular coax with a PL259 connector you could just attach it to the metal connector, but that is not the case with the fire ring. Lay the wire out as flat and as straight as possible and check your SWR again.
Also something to keep in mind, antennas have an SWR curve like a U. The longer the antenna the flatter the curve, the shorter the antenna the more radical the curve and the closer together the ends are.
Basically with a short antenna minor adjustments can make a big change and your SWR still may be a little high at each end (channel 1 and 40).

Where is your antenna mounted?

Reactions: fixiecory

fixiecory

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Albuquerque
Member #

I know you weren't asking for my input.....but I will offer info anyways. :tonguewink:
A good way to check to see if a poor ground is the problem is to take a 108" of wire, strip one end and attach it to the bare metal of the bracket. If you were using regular coax with a PL259 connector you could just attach it to the metal connector, but that is not the case with the fire ring. Lay the wire out as flat and as straight as possible and check your SWR again.
Also something to keep in mind, antennas have an SWR curve like a U. The longer the antenna the flatter the curve, the shorter the antenna the more radical the curve and the closer together the ends are.
Basically with a short antenna minor adjustments can make a big change and your SWR still may be a little high at each end (channel 1 and 40).

Where is your antenna mounted?
Great advice. I will try. Here is a photo of the mount and antenna. IMG_5590.JPG

Vandy

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Okc
What's going on guys... I've been creeping thru your thread looking for Intel. I've got a few days off around memorial day weekend. Looking to get out of okc. Was thinking about hitting this enchanted Rockies trail. Rough plan was hit i40 until I intersect it then head north and try to make it as far to Colorado springs as possible before I had to skip back to town for work. My questions for yall familiar with the area....
End of may are there still a lot of trails closed due to snow? I know a lot in the upper elevations of Colorado are well into June. I'm going solo and try to limit bad situations.

2. Would you suggest that route or start from the furthest point south and see how far I can get? Is there another route you would suggest? My experience with new Mexico is i40 passing thru. But it looks like a lot of cool places.

Thanks in advance
Vandy

Lds577

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Fritch, TX, USA
Member #

A group of us from the Amarillo area are planning a trip to Mills Canyon,NM the last weekend of October. If any of you guys would like to join.
Is there much off road driving there. I'm close to Amarillo myself and stopped by Mills canyon last summer but did not explore much.

FireMedicPQ1

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5PCB
As you can tell from my avatar and the old school yellow plate... New Mexico. Wonder if we New Mexicans should develop some clubs. Duke City Overland has a nice ring to it..
Check out the Facebook group Desert Valley Overlanders. Nice group of folks with similar interests. We do a meet and greet each month and a few outings have been organized.

p4.adventure

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Tory
Last Name
Payne
Member #

New member. Moved to Albuquerque in December. Still getting familiar with surrounding locations and what land is available to traverse.

FFJOORD

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Tierra Amarilla, NM
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Carrillo
Member #

Good morning all. Jose from Chama here, new to OB and looking forward to this wonderfully verdant summer and the wheeling opportunities that are around our region. I've done moderate wheeling (Moab Fins and Things, Imogene Pass, and a few general forest roads). Got some trails lined out on the Carson NF going north into CO that I'm hoping to do this year. IMG_0652.JPGIMG_0781.JPGIMG_1230.JPGIMG_1266.JPG