New Mexico Overlanders

• HTML tutorial

TacomaDave

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Understandable ! I think I need to stay home and spend the money on my rig fixen.. I think that should be my priorities at this point.
Also I have a son who has brain cancer (even after two surgeries) and is barely hanging on but fighting like hell to live. He is only 64
and had his last surgery in July 2018. Unfortunately it is a very rare type cancer with a survival rate of almost nothing. All his chemo
treatments are strictly experimental that he receives on a volunteer basis only. The drugs are not FDA approved. His thoughts were
that something is better than nothing, I'm not so sure in his case. I would not have gone through what he has gone through.
Hanging in, Cheers
Wow. I'm really sorry to hear about your son. Keep hanging in and don't give up hope.

Gregory Youngblood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Alamogordo, NM
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Youngblood
Member #

Do y’all know of anyone in town who’s good at setting up CBs? I, for some reason, can’t seem to get my SWR readings even close to correct.
I have a few questions. :)

What is your set up and what have you tried?

Also, what kind of antenna?

Do you have an in-line meter or using a built in meter? Do you have one that can measure reflected power?

It's been years since I tuned a CB setup. I'm partial to K-40 antennas myself. I found them to work really well and easy to tune. They also had a good ground plane even with magnetic antenna base like I used at the time. I'm happy to try and dust off the mental cobwebs and see if I can offer some help here if you'd like.

Reactions: fixiecory and Shamu

FireMedicPQ1

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5PCB
Just got home from a weekend overland trip through the Gila (south to north). We started at the Cliff Dwellings (I met Lanlubber in San Lorenzo - nice chap), then headed on the North Star Mesa Road to the VLA. It was spectacular, great weather, good friends, and beautiful country. I have attached a few images for your enjoyment. Stay safe.
IMG_20190329_165416.jpgIMG_20190330_105220.jpgIMG_20190330_111215.jpgIMG_20190330_115543.jpgIMG_20190330_140014.jpgIMG_20190330_141122.jpgIMG_20190330_142230.jpgIMG_20190330_171713.jpgIMG_20190330_173557.jpgIMG_20190330_174026.jpgIMG_20190330_192014.jpgIMG_20190331_133818.jpg

Brian Glendenning

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Socorro, NM
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Glendenning
Member #

Just got home from a weekend overland trip through the Gila (south to north). We started at the Cliff Dwellings (I met Lanlubber in San Lorenzo - nice chap), then headed on the North Star Mesa Road to the VLA. It was spectacular, great weather, good friends, and beautiful country. I have attached a few images for your enjoyment. Stay safe.
Is that the road that goes between the Gila and Aldo Leopoldo wildernesses? I was wondering if it was open. I’m thinking of driving it in April. Do you have a gpx file you could share - the roads north of the wildernesses seem a bit unclear. (I work for the organization that operates the VLA!)

Reactions: Shamu

FireMedicPQ1

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5PCB
Is that the road that goes between the Gila and Aldo Leopoldo wildernesses? I was wondering if it was open. I’m thinking of driving it in April. Do you have a gpx file you could share - the roads north of the wildernesses seem a bit unclear. (I work for the organization that operates the VLA!)
It runs from the Sapillo Loop Road and splits the two wilderness areas. It is called North Star Mesa Road, but also has the designation as FS150. I am not much of a tech-guy, but I will see if I can download the route I mapped on Gaia. Here is the general route for day 2 and 3. Day one was from ABQ to the Sapillo Group Campground (nice place - lots of open spaces).
Day 2
Lake Roberts, east on hwy 35 to north on FR 150 (North Star Mesa Rd).
Depending on how long we go this day - we may stay on NS Mesa Rd, or connect with north on hwy 61

Day 3
Hwy 61 north to Beaverhead Ranger Station
Beaverhead east on hwy 61 to intersection with hwy 59
Hwy 59 north to intersection with hwy 52
Hwy 52 north to intersection with US 60
US 60 east to Magdalena/Socorro
The road is in great shape. There are some steep, narrow, and rough sections. Easily done with a stock SUV. I never had to use 4WD. A few areas where the water crosses the road, there is a bit of wash-out, but again, easy-peasy. Good luck - it is a great route, especially for a short weekend trip.

TacomaDave

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

View attachment 91656View attachment 91657View attachment 91658View attachment 91659View attachment 91660View attachment 91661View attachment 91662View attachment 91663View attachment 91664View attachment 91665View attachment 91666View attachment 91667
Nice pics. Thanks for sharing. I plan on going there sometime soon. Either late spring or early summer.

FireMedicPQ1

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5PCB
I think I figured out the GPX thing. Hope it works.

GPX viewer

GPX viewer

GPX viewer

GPX viewer

Attachments

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Wow. I'm really sorry to hear about your son. Keep hanging in and don't give up hope.
Than k you
Thank you Dave, that was appreciated. My son passed away yesterday-Saturday, he is with our lord Jesus now..

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
View attachment 91656View attachment 91657View attachment 91658View attachment 91659View attachment 91660View attachment 91661View attachment 91662View attachment 91663View attachment 91664View attachment 91665View attachment 91666View attachment 91667
Glad to hear your back home safe and sound. You were in Mimbres though, not San Lorenzo which is a little east of me here in Mimbres (the east side of the river). I had just come home from a hospital visit with my son when I saw you guy's and gal's there at La Tienda convenience store. Saturday he passed away after an 18 month fight to live. I enjoyed my short visit with you there and later kicked myself for not making you wait there while I got you a few dozen fresh eggs for your camp out. I hope our paths cross again some day. Keep on rolling.. Jim

FireMedicPQ1

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5PCB
Glad to hear your back home safe and sound. You were in Mimbres though, not San Lorenzo which is a little east of me here in Mimbres (the east side of the river). I had just come home from a hospital visit with my son when I saw you guy's and gal's there at La Tienda convenience store. Saturday he passed away after an 18 month fight to live. I enjoyed my short visit with you there and later kicked myself for not making you wait there while I got you a few dozen fresh eggs for your camp out. I hope our paths cross again some day. Keep on rolling.. Jim
I am so very sorry for your loss. May God Bless and I pray that your family find peace and comfort. We will cross paths down the road.

Brian Glendenning

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Socorro, NM
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Glendenning
Member #

I think I figured out the GPX thing. Hope it works.
Thanks - that worked great! The route I mapped out goes east from Beaverhead rather than north. I'll probably still give that a try but it will be good to have a known-good Plan B we can backtrack to.

FireMedicPQ1

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5PCB
Thanks - that worked great! The route I mapped out goes east from Beaverhead rather than north. I'll probably still give that a try but it will be good to have a known-good Plan B we can backtrack to.
Brain, we did end up going east from Beaverhead - they both end up at the same place eventually on 52. The east route tends to stay in the trees a bit longer.

Overland 505

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Member #

East from beaverhead is a paved road until you hit 52. But if you go north on 52 to FS549 and go up through bear trap canyon it’s s beautiful drive.
North from Beaverhead is a nice drive. All dirt that way but pretty flat.

Brian Glendenning

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Socorro, NM
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Glendenning
Member #

East from beaverhead is a paved road until you hit 52. But if you go north on 52 to FS549 and go up through bear trap canyon it’s s beautiful drive.
North from Beaverhead is a nice drive. All dirt that way but pretty flat.
Thanks - Bear Trap canyon is a favorite of mine. Thought I'd try a different route (up through Dusty and maybe Big Rosa canyon, which I remember as being nice but I haven't been there this century).

Reactions: Overland 505