• HTML tutorial

smallfrye

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Colorado
Member #

I main just browse this site but figured I'd go ahead and post up a trip from two weekends ago.

A week ago I took a whirlwind of a trip though New Mexico and Texas to get away for a few days. I had been wanting to explore a number of sites that I’ve either seen while researching for other trips or while passing through New Mexico on my way home to Arizona. So I figured this a good chance to get away.

Day 1: Cemeteries, Ghost towns and Fort Union

Dawson Cemetery

Colfax: Besides these decaying structures there was a tavern that looks like it’s open on a seasonal basis (maybe).

smallfrye

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Colorado
Member #

La Liendre: Only ruins I could find. My map showed it after a river crossing but the gate was chained up. None of my research mentioned the way being closed.

Trementina: Could not find the site of the town but I did explore a ways down Trementina Road.

Reactions: JCWages

smallfrye

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Colorado
Member #

Day 2: Carlsbad Caverns, the last time I was here was 20 years ago. I kind of slept longer than I intended and didn’t get to the park in time to complete the big loop.

I’ll probably get chewed by you all on this but I left my camera in auto mode for these photos since I couldn’t get my camera settings correct to get a decent photo.

Day 3: Guadalupe Mountain National Park, a hike to Guadalupe Peak. This was a very windy hike and was forecasted to get worse in the afternoon (60 mph).

One of the trails across the valley

At the top

After coming back down from the peak (about 1230) I grab some lunch and tried to figure out what to do next. Hike another trail knowing I’d have to deal with high winds, explore a little past the park to the salt flats or some random dirt road to get a better view of the mountains. Not to mention I’d had been undecided on what to do about camping Sunday night from even the start of this trip.

Since this was just a whirlwind of a trip anyways I figured the heck with it and keep with that theme and head for home.

Despite being a whirlwind of a trip it was sorely needed and despite being exhausted the next day I felt better than I had in quite some time.