Midland, TX, USA
First Name
Ronn
Last Name
Reeger
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRXB227
Welcome to the forum from West Texas. I suspect those much more knowledgeable than me will chime in on possible mods to your LR3... I just look forward to seeing them.

Reactions: JI8

El Solis

Rank V
Investor

Traveler II

Livermore, CA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6CQE
I’ll post more later but here is a short list of what I think are must haves.

1. GAP tool to check and clear codes etc
2. Good tires. If you have the 18 in rims you can run BFG KO2s which work well with these trucks.
3. Sliders. I personally have and recommend the tactical rovers sliders.
4. Safe jack bottle jack and jack stand. I know, not a cool mod but you can’t really use a hi lift on these rigs and the stock jack kind of sucks.

Fun extras:
1. Lift rods. I have the Green Oval Experience 3 position ones but trying to get them is tough. My buddy has been waiting since September [emoji51]
2. Cargo barrier
3. If you run a fridge and don’t need the second row middle seat you can pull out that one and put the fridge there.
4. Dual battery system

After that it depends on how you are planning on using it. I’ll post more later.

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
Welcome, nice vehicle choice! I’ve got an ‘06. As mentioned, if you don’t already have a gap tool, get one (or something similar). I think they’re essential to have wether you off-road or not. In addition to the diagnostic capabilities, you can dial in extra height in the suspension instead of lift rods. First mod is tires, I run 265/70/18 Cooper S/T Maxx. They’re about the max size you can run without significant mods. I did have to flatten the punch welds in the rear wheel wells and relocate my rear heater lines which took an hour or 2. Mod 2 for me was a Smittybilt 10k winch. I installed a hidden winch in the factory bumper using a harbor freight winch plate. I also second the previously mentioned bottle jack. I found a 4 ton from a Ford super duty on eBay that has a double ram just like the old Discovery jacks.

Next on my list is sliders and some type of swing out spare tire carrier. Right now my full size spare either rides in the back or on the roof rack, neither option is great.

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
Love the idea of the hidden winch. You were able to do this on the factory bumper? Can you post pics?
Yeah, there’s a write up on one of the Rover specific forums on an LR4, but it’s pretty much the same. I cut out the center section of the factory inner bumper and attached the harbor freight tray in it’s place. I had to mod the outer cover a little, but it’s all inside or very low and not visible unless you get down on your hands and knees. I was not able to reinstall the cover that goes over the front recovery point, but that wasn’t the end of the world to me.

This is the best picture I’ve got in my phone right now. If you want more I can snap some closeups tomorrow.

IMG_8368.JPG

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
Here’s a few more pics. The release lever access is a little tight, but it works. IMG_8869.JPGIMG_8870.JPGIMG_8871.JPGIMG_8872.JPG

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
Awesome- it is on the list of things to do to my LR3- But was balking at the 4-500 plate specific for the LR3.
Thanks,
James
Same here, 4-500 for a hidden winch mount when a lucky 8 bumper is $800? If I ever get done paying for college and weddings I’ll replace the bumper, but until then this works great.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Hi all,

I’ve been going into the backcountry for years under my own power. Now looking to extend deeper. I own an ‘07 LR3. Looking for advice on must haves and essential mods.

Cheers
How do you plan to use it ?