Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Selma, NC, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Crowley
Member #

Hey everyone new member here in the Raleigh area. Look forward to meeting up and exploring the Southeast.

I have a 2017 Silverado leveled with AT’s.

Reactions: danger_zone

Rubiconcruiser

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

So Georgia
Member #

Welcome to the group The East Coast is just now getting into this Overland camping building thing Expo East Appalachian East is in October in NC and will showcase all you may want to see as far as equipment goes, hope to see you there

Rubiconcruiser

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

So Georgia
Member #

Welcome to the group The East Coast is just now getting into this Overland camping building thing Expo East Appalachian East is in October in NC and will showcase all you may want to see as far as equipment goes, hope to see you there

danger_zone

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Charlotte, NC, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Inglese
Member #

Good afternoon, I'm in the CLT area and have a 17' TRD Off Road. I'm looking for novice off road trails that open up to scenery. Does anyone have any input on trails or campgrounds along the Blue Ridge Parkway or near the Appalachian Mtns?

Attachments

Schuie11

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Marion, VA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Schumaker
Member #

There are some awesome forestry roads in the Pisga National forest. I’ve been off reading most of my life, there are tons of roads off the blue ridge parkway.

Schuie11

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Marion, VA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Schumaker
Member #

A couple of things that are really fun, the Blue Ridge Parkway is a great start with many Forest Service roads to explore. Topo maps, the Gazetteer (sp) road maps are awesome and I just signed up for GAIA , (it's a map service app). So far I am impressed with it. I live in SW Va, near NC, TN and KY. Lots of places to explore. We have Hungry Mother State Park, which is awesome.

danger_zone

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Charlotte, NC, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Inglese
Member #

Thank you everyone. Tuesday of next week, I've planned an Old NC 105 Hwy path and found a national park service road that connects to a parallel street then venture down Blue Ridge Parkway heading into Cherokee. I'll be sure to add pictures of my adventures and let you all know how it goes. Thanks again everyone for the input!!!!

danger_zone

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Charlotte, NC, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Inglese
Member #

A couple of things that are really fun, the Blue Ridge Parkway is a great start with many Forest Service roads to explore. Topo maps, the Gazetteer (sp) road maps are awesome and I just signed up for GAIA , (it's a map service app). So far I am impressed with it. I live in SW Va, near NC, TN and KY. Lots of places to explore. We have Hungry Mother State Park, which is awesome.
Is that app more for hiking or does it include vehicle trails?

I also found the map the USA Forest Service provides of their road maps. Link is below :)

Schuie11

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Marion, VA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Schumaker
Member #

I bought the upgrade version, has all known roads. Pretty cool with the sat overlay.

l_vandyke

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dodgetown, NC, USA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Vandyke
Member #

I was just up near your area last weekend. Took a day trip up to Grayson Highlands and found a forest road up to a nice camping area just north of the park. Amazing views. Wild horses and longhorns visible all around