Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Welcome. If you want to meet a few fellow Texan OBers there is a thread over in the Meet Ups forum for a potential February Hidden Falls trip.

Benchwarmer

Rank 0

Contributor I

Welcome. If you want to meet a few fellow Texan OBers there is a thread over in the Meet Ups forum for a potential February Hidden Falls trip.
Sounds good. I will look up the thread and see if I can make it. I am just beginning with this build so I doubt I would be ready by then though. Maybe attend for the day or something?

Last edited:
Reactions: pixelsailor

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I'm sure if you couldn't bring your own rig someone would take you as a co-driver.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

you can get a handheld one for pretty cheap and then you don't have to mount it. The range isn't great but it should be good enough for wheeling with friends.

Benchwarmer

Rank 0

Contributor I

you can get a handheld one for pretty cheap and then you don't have to mount it. The range isn't great but it should be good enough for wheeling with friends.
I actually plan to hard mount one. Just doing research to get one with good range. I like the Cobra 75WXST due to the fact in can be portable for hiking if you wanted.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I actually plan to hard mount one. Just doing research to get one with good range. I like the Cobra 75WXST due to the fact in can be portable for hiking if you wanted.
As far as range goes, that is going to come down to your antenna and antenna placement on your vehicle. Pretty much all CBs from 20 bucks up to 300 bucks have the same output. The dif in price is all the bells and whistles and brand name. I have the BearCat 505xl (30 bucks on amazon I think) in my trooper and get a much better signal than most of the folks I run with who have expensive units. The reason, 50% of my antenna is above my roof line and I have nothing on my roof to ruin the ground plain. For a portable unit, it comes down to antenna on the handheld.

Reactions: pixelsailor

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

I'm running a midland handheld with a scoche magnetic base antenna. I don't know the range yet but the SWR is right at 1 on channel one and about 1.5 at ch 40.

They all push 4 watts max

I'm thinking my voice isn't sexy enough to get a radio check. Lol

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

I'm hearing even the out of tune radios from 2 miles at the various industrial facilities I pass.

pixelsailor

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Boerne, TX
Member #

I was looking at that Cobra 75 myself. Actually considering the Midland 75-822 now. Little pricier than the 785 but I like the form factor a little more and the car kit that it comes with. Seems to integrate with a permanent installation a little better

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

I like mine because you can also load it with AA batteries. Gives you the option to remove it from the vehicle.

For instance, take it with me in the kayak or hiking.