Off-Road Ranger I

Meriden, CT, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Defosses
Ham/GMRS Callsign
kb1rqz
I have been offroading for may years, primarily just day trips on in the wilderness with a group of friends. I want to start doing maybe weekend trips or longer. I currently have 1998 Jeep cherokee. Looking for some ideas to improve my experience.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Welcome! I had a 1998 Cherokee 2dr for several years. It's easily one of my favorite vehicles I've ever owned. You've got a good platform to get started with.

I'd recommend getting a little gear and getting outdoors! Also, check the Meet-up section to see if there's anything going on locally to you. It's a good way to get out and meet the locals from the forum.

I started out cooking over the fire with just a flash light but I've been able to pick up some Coleman stoves and lanterns from C-list and FB pretty cheap and they are great around camp. If you've been off-roading, I'm sure you're familiar with camping so I'll not elaborate on that.

Some good maps like that Gazetteer for what ever area you're going to be in can be really handy. A lot of folks like some form of GPS. I'm currently shopping for a tablet to run either GAIA or Backcountry Navigator on when I'm out of service.

RoyB

Rank IV

Contributor II

Boston
First Name
Roy
Last Name
Bertalotto
Check out the Trans New Jersey Trail......Looks like a great three day trek

Welcome aboard

Deragheth

Rank 0

Off-Road Ranger I

Meriden, CT, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Defosses
Ham/GMRS Callsign
kb1rqz
I currently run gaia and onx offroad for my trail runs and they seem to work pretty good. I am thinking about getting a dedicated gps or installing a laptop or tablet with a gps module. I use to run and eathmate on a laptop but that was years ago, not sure if they even make anything like that anymore.