New member building an excursion Excursion.

• HTML tutorial

Daniel Patton

Rank 0

Traveler I

Just wondering if anyone else has built an Excursion. Mine is a work in progress and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on the do(s) and don't(s) of this platform.

RiverCityDave

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Austin, Texas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Hunter
Member #

Service Branch
Army
You know I have a good friend with one, he was building it up for long range runs, however that plan has recently been derailed by some domestic bliss interruptions, however it's looking great.

I'll get some details on what he's done and post up again. he built it for Gulf Coast area operations, so think South Padre National Seashore, etc.

Reactions: Rob GoVenture

Daniel Patton

Rank 0

Traveler I

You know I have a good friend with one, he was building it up for long range runs, however that plan has recently been derailed by some domestic bliss interruptions, however it's looking great.

I'll get some details on what he's done and post up again. he built it for Gulf Coast area operations, so think South Padre National Seashore, etc.
That would be awesome. I've done a good bit, mainly to the engine. New heads, bigger turbo, 190cc 30% injectors, straight piped exhaust, water meth injection, regulated fuel return to keep #7 and 8 loaded with fuel, and all the monitoring to boot. I've got a 5 inch Icon lift, Ranch hand winch bumper with 10K winch running on 35 BFG KA2. I've got a long ways to go until It's complete. If I ever get complete.

Wolvee

ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ) ︻デ═一 pew pew
Staff member
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I don't remember seeing any other Excursions on here here but I know there are several full size builds. I find myself wanting a 2000/2001 Excursion often but I'm not sure my trips are worthy of such a big Rig. I'm stuck in the middle. On the full size side of things my F150 is too small for real big overlanding hauls but too big and not built enough for really difficult trailing. ..or maybe I just need to stop hanging out with tiny fully built Jeeps. lol.

Welcome to OBF!

Daniel Patton

Rank 0

Traveler I

To be honest. I miss my old TJ. With a family my size, 7kids and a wife, I needed something massive. Enter the EX. I've taken over the family Ex and want to go on over landing trips. Take the kids out west and show them the places I saw as a kid. Once I figure out how to upload pictures I'll get one up.

pheenx9

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

35°22'18.0"N 84°18'16.0"W
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Scott
Member #

I'm slooowly building my excursion 7.3 also. I had a little help from some other OB guys to make my mind up whether to keep it or build it. I'm just getting started. I'm looking for some good bumpers that wont cost me 2k per bumper if you have any info. How's your build going?
Here's my build link, https://www.facebook.com/2001-Excursion-Overland-Build-195329984132574/

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

If i remember correctly I have seen some Excursion builds over on Expedition Portal. May wanna search over there, not trying to derail you from here. There are a TON of build threads over there to get some ideas from.

Reactions: vanbuskirk

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

Thats a big rig... but the aftermarket is amazing for them.

My bronco is out in the cold... i gotta build EVERYTHING lol

Only made mine from 80 to 86 :-(

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I always thought an Excursion would be a great overland rig for those of us who can't afford a Sportsmobile. It's one of the few SUVs out there where I can lay down comfortably with my wife and the dogs with room to still keep some of the gear inside.

I thought it would be ideal since parts should be pretty cheap and easy to find if you need spares, and you could always beef up the suspension with parts off Ford's SuperDuty line of pickuptrucks. Just hit the Ford forums and buy someone's OEM parts when they install a lift kit and you have a cheap upgrade.

It is a larger rig, so tight trails might be a challenge, but the load carrying and comfort of sleeping inside might be worth the trade off. If I was going to be traveling in heavily forested areas, I might consider something a little smaller, but for most of the Southwest I think it would be ideal. Keep us posted on your build, I would love to see how it progresses!

Oh, and if you want to get really crazy, I saw a guy who bought a junk Westfalia VW just to harvest the pop-up roof and graft it on to an old Suburban.

Reactions: stoney126

Daniel Patton

Rank 0

Traveler I

Sorry for being MIA for a while. I've been getting ready for a deployment (leave tomorrow). I still haven't got the rack built yet. It will have to wait until I get back from the Sand Box. I did add a forth row seat from Little Passenger Seats out in Cali. So far it's great, the only down side is my kids fight over who is going to sit in it. Kind of reminds me of when I was a kid and always wanted to sit in the rear facing station-wagon seat. I also got the Aluminess rear tire carrier/storage box on. I like it, but for what I paid I expected a little more. If I ever get good at welding, I see an "overlanding" business developing.

Reactions: Daryl 32

murps

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
d
Last Name
m
Member #

Sorry for being MIA for a while. I've been getting ready for a deployment (leave tomorrow). I still haven't got the rack built yet. It will have to wait until I get back from the Sand Box. I did add a forth row seat from Little Passenger Seats out in Cali. So far it's great, the only down side is my kids fight over who is going to sit in it. Kind of reminds me of when I was a kid and always wanted to sit in the rear facing station-wagon seat. I also got the Aluminess rear tire carrier/storage box on. I like it, but for what I paid I expected a little more. If I ever get good at welding, I see an "overlanding" business developing.
Shoot man, hope you aren't gone for too long. Stay safe!

Reactions: Daryl 32

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
Go Full Size Rigs!
I just picked up a '97 F-250 / 7.3l Diesel MT 4x4 / Dual Fuel Tanks

I like those Excursions.

Reactions: stoney126

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

I always thought an Excursion would be a great overland rig for those of us who can't afford a Sportsmobile. It's one of the few SUVs out there where I can lay down comfortably with my wife and the dogs with room to still keep some of the gear inside.

I thought it would be ideal since parts should be pretty cheap and easy to find if you need spares, and you could always beef up the suspension with parts off Ford's SuperDuty line of pickuptrucks. Just hit the Ford forums and buy someone's OEM parts when they install a lift kit and you have a cheap upgrade.

It is a larger rig, so tight trails might be a challenge, but the load carrying and comfort of sleeping inside might be worth the trade off. If I was going to be traveling in heavily forested areas, I might consider something a little smaller, but for most of the Southwest I think it would be ideal. Keep us posted on your build, I would love to see how it progresses!

Oh, and if you want to get really crazy, I saw a guy who bought a junk Westfalia VW just to harvest the pop-up roof and graft it on to an old Suburban.
Yup on the Portal site under full size / domestic. It's pretty impressive.

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

What year is your excursion? Your engine upgrades are something I'm looking to mimic here soon with my superduty minus the meth injection.

Have you thought about swapping out that 50 for a 60? I was wondering also if 37's would be in order just to help with high centering.

Look forward to seeing your build. And stay out there man.

E

expeditionnorth

I remember seeing one at the VT ORW maybe in 2012, it was almost too big for VT's tight trails
it was a diesel job that had incredible torque and did real well despite its size
my neighbor down the road has one that is the gas job thats lifted and looks nice

Reactions: Tedd Carbone