New member building an excursion Excursion.

• HTML tutorial

Jeff Neese

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Carrollton, Georgia
Member #

Wondering if you made any progress on your Excursion build? We have a 2003 Excursion Limited we've modified for overlanding as well as long haul trips.

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

At the 2016 Overland Expo we meet a couple with a fully overland built 2003 7.3 excursion with a web site and picture book of all the places they have been. I will try and look for it. It was will done with lots of custom parts - springs, bumper, roof rack, solar on the roof, house batteries and more.

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

Sadly my Excursion is gone, I miss it, but also love the new truck. Fortunately I might be in the market for another Excursion soon. My wife misses it also and says she might want one.

TheBarefootFamily

Rank VII

Trail Mechanic III

Pueblo, Pueblo County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Berkenbile
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Currently, I am running a 2007 Expo EL 4x4 which replaced the Excursion, and I have to say there are only a few companies that work on or even offer parts for this platform. Thankfully I have been turned onto 2 companies really worth checking out thanks to a friendly shout out of FB.

http://www.cbioffroadfab.com/
http://www.aluminess.com/
http://www.iconvehicledynamics.com/

For the Excursion platform its more freeing to find products for but these 3 companies are really pushing the look and capability of these full sized SUVs.

Kenslittle72

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Princeton, Moorpark
Member #

since the rear barn doors a hollow fiberglass, you can do a lot of neat things to them. I have seen them opened for storage. The best mod I did was bought cup holers from a boat shop and drilled the top of the door to counter sink them in.

Jean Klaude The Jeep

Rank VI
Investor

Traveler III

Lexington, Henderson County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Shelby
Member #

since the rear barn doors a hollow fiberglass, you can do a lot of neat things to them. I have seen them opened for storage. The best mod I did was bought cup holers from a boat shop and drilled the top of the door to counter sink them in.
Photos? They didn't leak?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Jean Klaude The Jeep

Rank VI
Investor

Traveler III

Lexington, Henderson County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Shelby
Member #

Reactions: Kenslittle72

Borderline Homeless

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Longmont, Colorado
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Hanff
Member #

View attachment 26908 View attachment 26909
No problems that I saw. I put it in with clear silicone. They sit under the rear hatch when closed. I wanted to add a LED to the underside of the hatch to light camp when open. There wasn't the flush mount offerings there is now so I never got it done.
Now i know what I'll be doing next weekend. Great idea!

when chased by a bear, just have a fat friend with you! you'll be alright

MandAtaco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Las Vegas, NV
Member #

We had a family friend that had one with the 6.0L, my dad and I pulled the engine in it 4 years ago or so and "bullet proofed" it. Their 4 kids had all grown up and moved away so my wife and I were hoping to purchase it from them for our family, we had all talked about it. About a year ago though, they rearended someone in it and insurance totaled it. Such a shame, really wanted that one!