New Jeep Wrangler Sport S - Tire & Suspension Recommendations?

• HTML tutorial

johnO

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Portland, OR
First Name
John
Last Name
Olivier
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7BXG
Hey guys - we just got back from the NW Overland Rally and my wife really got the bug , so ... we traded in her daily driver for a 4 door JL Looking at starting on some mods right away. I have a 2018 Runner (TRD Off Road) and have spent the last year or so mod-ing up, but now starting from scratch on the JL. First up are tires and suspension. Wanted to see what y'all out there are running ... and feel free to lob in suggestions on anything else - I've got some work ahead of me! Thanks all!

Reactions: SubeeBen
S

SubeeBen

I have a 2017 jku so not sure of your exact specs. But as far as my vehicle I have a 2.5” teraflex lift. Fox 2.0 shocks. Jks swaybar disconects, & bfg all terrains 285/75/17 & am verrrrry happy with the whole setup as well as drive quality & overall use & appearance. Also did not have to change gearing etc & drives great. Hope this helps & congrats on the new rig.

JCarter

Rank V
Investor

Member III

Firestone, Weld County, Colorado, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Carter
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0LRZ
Hey guys - we just got back from the NW Overland Rally and my wife really got the bug , so ... we traded in her daily driver for a 4 door JL Looking at starting on some mods right away. I have a 2018 Runner (TRD Off Road) and have spent the last year or so mod-ing up, but now starting from scratch on the JL. First up are tires and suspension. Wanted to see what y'all out there are running ... and feel free to lob in suggestions on anything else - I've got some work ahead of me! Thanks all!

View attachment 105310
It depends on what you want to do with it?

I have a 2016 JKRU, 6-speed manual with the Mopar 4” lift kit and 35” BFG KO2

I ran a lot of trails stock before I got the lift. I got tired of not having enough clearance for the majority of trails I found my self exploring and damaging the lower control arms on the axels and constantly bashing the skid plates on rocks.

I am not sure if Jeep JK owners who put the 2” lift on found out about death wobble the first time they took the vehicle out on the high way and hit a bump, but I did. More parts, money, new pants and time at the shop and now I just have a minor wobble.

I like the BFG KO2 a lot for running back and forth between work and home when there is ice on the roads and the 35” for the extra clearance. I don't like the KO2 in deep powdery snow or going with the 35” because of the loss in MPG.

I have no plans to change the stock gearing.
I have entertained the idea of getting 33” tires next time and looking at a 3.5” AEV lift for the next money pit I mean Jeep. [emoji3]

Well, that's my 2 cents.

johnO

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Portland, OR
First Name
John
Last Name
Olivier
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7BXG
Thanks Ben and Carter - both helpful. We're just going to be doing some moderate trail running in it, so it sounds like your setups may be a good fit. Thinking about a 3" Teraflex and 35s on the tire. Still deciding on the brand ... I have Nitto on my runner and love them, but a bit spendy.

What's the fix for the death wobble? My wfie will not like that :grinning:

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

For under $600 you can get new factory Rubicon fenders and run 35s with no lift and stock wheels. Keep you center of gravity low and you will be happier with the jeep.

I also recommend Falken MT01 or AT3W tires. They are reasonably priced and work fantastic.

Owasco

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

1336 Bellview HTS Locke NY
Member #

I am running a 2.5-inch metal cloak true dual rate lift with Rocksport shocks, metal cloak HD steering, and teraflex ball joints. 285/70 17 General grabber x3's.So far I like it a lot. I have a 2016 JKU willys with 3.73 gears. No death wobble drives great. I also drove it for two years no mods. Death Valley, Moab, Sedona and a lot of other places, the only reason I wanted the lift was from scraping the belly over rocks. Never got stuck, just gave my skids a workout.

Marman

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Pleasant Hill, MO
First Name
Larry
Last Name
Marlowe
Member #

Service Branch
USAF Retired
I am running the 3.5" Metalcloak Rocksport edition on my 2015 JKU. No issues with bump steer at all, actually seems to be a better ride then before. Running 35" Nitto Mud tire and love them. Not much road noise and great on the trail.

In case you don't know, XOR is building a JL on their show right now. Might give you some ideas.

XOR - Xtreme Off-Road : PowerNation TV